RC Enthusiast

Exclamation Stampede 2wd VXL problems

So just today, my stampede starting making clicking noises. The sound is either coming from the gearbox, or the driveshaft. One thing i should mention is that when i take the rear right tier off, the clicking isn't as bad, but it is still there.

Gears are basically brand new, bought the rc new in december.
    The motor is a Velineon 3500, and there is no gap between the two gears you can see after removing the cap.
    Speed controller is a vxl-3s
    The rc is basically new.
    Has NOT been bashed.
    Has been through quiet a bit of water.
    Has been driven in the cold during the winter.
    No upgrades have been done since.

RC Enthusiast
    Any help would be greatly appreciated.

My bet is either the idler gear or input/slipper gear is history. Open up the tranny and give her a check.

Reread your post again check the screw pin holding the driveshaft to the tranny, may have backed out but I doubt it.
    Last edited by JerrysMaxx; 04-10-2015 at 07:53 PM.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Champion
    Welcome R2D2!

I had a very similar problem with my truck a couple years ago when it was pretty new. I have no idea why I haven't had the problem since, but here it is: My son and I used to run and jump our trucks on piles of wood chips behind our house. Soft landings, easy to build jumps, etc., anyway; What would happen is that small debris (presumably wood) would get stuck between the teeth of the spur gear and every time that spot of the spur would engage the pinion it would make a clicking sound. Kind of like a baseball card in the spokes of a bike. It drove me nuts so I would always remove the gear cover and use an exacto knife to check every valley in the spur until I found the offending debris. This happened dozens of times and, being an R/C newb, I dutifully stopped and carefully cleaned off the gear every time.
    I would suggest that you carefully examine the valleys between the teeth of both your pinion and spur gear to see if there is a little rock or other debris hiding in there. If there is, that is probably what's causing the noise. Over time, that situation became less frequent and now it never happens. It might have something to do with the teeth all being dull from use but I don't miss the clicking sound.

All that said, if your truck runs but with much decreased power (like your slipper clutch is slipping all the time), it might be that the roll pin in your slipper shaft is broken. It is the little cross pin, here is a link to the shaft:
    http://www.rcplanet.com/ProductDetai...FdKDfgodJwcA-g

RC Qualifier
    ^^^^agreed 100%. Check the internal gears; I had the exact same problem and it was actually the slipper shaft, and the differential gear.
    God's Not Dead

One reason I am thinking more idler or diff gear is it sounds like the truck is still moving and just clicking. Today I just finished putting a diff gear and Robinson hardened steel idler gear (listed for Slash on their website #7857) in my Rusty that was clicking and still moving. The idler gear lost two teeth and wore the diff gear in the middle of the gear but still functional.
    This is the third idler gear but hopefully the last with the new RR gear.
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Enthusiast
    under the gearbox casing i checked the valleys and teeth for debris and there is nothing there. the srcew pin is fine. But how could anything be broken or messed up in the internal gears, the rc is basically new. Even though i got the thing in december is was almost never driven until a week or two ago. It's only the cars about 10th run.

RC Enthusiast
    Just tried it again and the clicking noise only seems to happen when going from reverse to forward or vise versa. As the truck picks up speed the clicking slowly goes away

I drive like I stole it and some times I don't release the throttle when I know I should, meaning if you are jumping, slaming reverse from forward a lot just to do a wheelie or just plain lucky as most of us are. Most times it is an error of mine when I am bashing with the son (showing off).
    Stampede/Rustler

Quote Originally Posted by r2d2536 View Post
    Just tried it again and the clicking noise only seems to happen when going from reverse to forward or vise versa. As the truck picks up speed the clicking slowly goes away
    can you do a video? Just a side note.... the tranny is easy to get off and open.
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Enthusiast
    Ill show a video later, it late where i am, and im new in the rc hobbie and this is my first rc, so i don't want to screw up anything by opening the tranny

This is the inside of your tranny....

Your going to have to go in it sooner or later, and we are here for you. Also use the exploded view that came with your truck.
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Enthusiast
    Okay ill see what i can do and what is wrong with. Thx

RC Racer
    I recently had a similar issue to this with my brand new 2 wd pede vxl. I hit a small ramp and when my truck landed I started hearing a grinding noise. I got on the phone and called traxxas and he said check that engine didnt slide and for me to loosen the motor screws and reajust the pinion and spur using the paper method. I did that and it fixed my issue. I cranked the motor screws down really good. I was a nervous wreck and really agravated about it though. I hope you figure yours out and dont worry the transmission isnt really bad. there is a very good video on youtube shows the transmission and that is what I did. I just recently got a used bandit off ebay and I took the whole transmission apart and installed a rpm gear box and re greased everything up. I hope you get it sorted out soon.

RC Qualifier
    The reason you only hear it in the change between foward and reverse is because you have a problem inside your gearbox. I had the EXACT same problem after about my fourth run so you aren't alone. My advice open up the tranny and go step by step on this video. Also watch it all the way through first so you have a little more idea of what you are doing. If something inside is grinded up then my advice is buy some better gears and the chances of more internal problems decrease drastically just like JerrysMax said but I would recommend a FLM differential and look at the RR gears. Good Luck
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-asGBmrQqwc
    God's Not Dead

RC Enthusiast
    I opened the tranny and found that one of the gears has about half of its teeth missing. I could just get new gear for the whole thing, but i think i just want a whole new one. I know Proline has a good looking transission, but it there other or better ones that i should get.

RC Racer
    Traxxas beast the link you provided is for dark cliptics led install video.

My advice is to get the gear and replace it. You either had bad luck or your driving needs work, meaning you have to understand when to let off the throttle on landings and stuff like that. The gears are super cheap until you gain experience in driving. Hate to see you tear up an expensive tranny set up.
    Which gear went?
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Enthusiast
    the small gear furthest to the right

RC Qualifier
    I agree with JerrysMax just replace the gear. Sorry about the wrong link here is what I meant to post.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=nchilUVF4ZY There are thee parts but if you already have the tranny open skip to the end of part 1 through part 2. He will tell you what each hear is called but I'm guessing you either the diff gear or slipper shaft gear.
    Last edited by Traxxas-Beast; 04-12-2015 at 08:42 AM.
    God's Not Dead