RC Racer

Talking Funny Car Motor in an E-Maxx

So, just thought I'd share here...

I picked up a really cheap (other brand) short course truck a while back, and the guy who had it before me had put the motor out of a Traxxas Funny Car in it... The SCT was terribly slow with that motor, because he had it geared entirely wrong... I changed out the gears and it was a screamer, as you can imagine.

Then, I got ahold of an old E-Maxx (current style, brushed) with a bad motor in it. So, I figured I'd try it out... I stuck the motor and ESC from the Funny Car over in the E and man, I'm surprised how well it does.

The thing is obviously not as quick or powerful as a stock brushless E, but it's a heck of a lot of fun! It'll pull wheelies, flip itself over, and all that! And, I can use the multifunction knob on the TX to tone down the torque on it! Makes it great for handing it off to someone new, just turn down the power, and they can go play.

It's a fun project, and something else to do... especially if I'm playing somewhere where the grass is too tall for the Slash 4x4!
    Diplomacy Is Saying “Nice Doggy” Until You Find A Rock

RC Champion
    Glad it worked out for you! Yea I definitely wouldn't suggest over gearing or 5s in the 13lb emaxx.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

RC Competitor
    I thought about doing this as well in my son's e-maxx. Are you using the funny car esc and does it work okay? What kind of batteries are you using or will it handle? My son wants to keep the ability to use his good NIMH batteries even though we use LIPO now and then.

Also, how is it geared?

RC Racer
    I am using the ESC out of the funny car, which I am pretty sure is only rated to 3S... But, I've ran it with NIMH batteries in a pinch... It'll run, but with obviously less punch.

I'm running with 2S LIPO and nothing seems to get hot or anything for me. I've got it geared pretty low, but can't tell you the tooth counts right now, sorry.

I just figured what the heck since I had the motor kinda laying around ya know? And it worked out just fine... I will say that you need an extension for the controller lead to the receiver... at least I did.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the info. That's starting to sound like what I might put in my old original emaxx that I'm wanting to "revive". I was worried since it says that the esc is designed especially for drag racing but I guess that's more marketing than anything and doesn't adversely affect it for maxx use?

Are you using the TX and receiver from the funny car as well or can it work okay with a standard radio? Do you think it's got more punch on 2s than a stock brushed e-maxx?

Thanks again.

RC Racer
    I'm using the TX out of the funny car as well... Now, I've never driven the funny car, someone had taken the electronics out of it and put into a short course truck and it was a real dog... Was just geared entirely wrong. I traded for it a while back and have used that setup in my 4x4 Slash as well... which, I might add, is WAY WAY faster than the stock Slash 4x4 Velenion system...

The "made for drag racing" thing is pretty much talking about the launch control and all that stuff that's built into the ESC from my understanding. Can just ignore that stuff... If your truck isn't working right, the red switch, or the little toggle switch on top of the TX is probably in the wrong position.

I think it's got way more punch on 2S than the stock brushed e-maxx, but again, I haven't run one in a long time. And, you can go to 4S I think on the stock brushed one can't you? So, I'm not sure if it's more power than that or not. I'd bet it is.

RC Competitor
    Yeah you can go up to 4s on the brushed max. Biggest thing is that the brushed setup eats batteries much more than a brushless system and only having to run one battery would be sweet.

I'm talking myself into this as I type. Do you know can you see any reason why the esc wouldn't work with a stock "normal" traxxas radio setup?
    Last edited by tim71; 04-11-2015 at 12:06 PM.

RC Racer
    Uh, no... I know it works just fine, because I sometimes grab one of my other TX and use it... Now, I don't know about another receiver... I think I remember having issues trying to get it to work with a different RX (Even though, it's the same model!) something about it being paired with the RX... If you have Castle Link or something like that, you can unpair it I think...

RC Competitor
    Thanks again. I may go this way for both my older emaxx and my son's brushed.

RC Racer
    Let me know how it works out, I'm digging it. And, you can always get the Y adapter that lets you run two batteries for longer run time!

I'd be leery of the FC motor in such a large MT. It's not made for such duties and may not go the distance. You really should have a true 1:8 motor system in it.
    Alt-248 on the number pad = °

RC Racer
    I agree... The real 1/8th scale one would have been better. However... For me, the other one was essentially free.

Not only that, but it does a great job, and isn't getting too hot or anything either.

RC poster
    I have several of these motor/esc combos. It is a rebadged castle mamba max pro. Great little systems Ibe been running them in my 4x4 slash and rally. I'm going to put hem I to a couple of 1/8 buggies I have lying around. Torquey little motors

RC Competitor
    I've got one coming and I'm going to try it in my son's brushed emaxx with the smallest pinion which is a 12T I believe. I've got a temp gun coming as well so we'll watch the temps and see how it goes. I figure if there are people on youtube who made a velineon work in an emaxx geared down then this should be easier.

RC Racer
    So....

For anyone who is wondering, I have had my HackMaxx in storage for a while, have gotten it back out recently, and this little motor/ESC combo still holds up, running strong.