RC poster

Slash 4x4 Telemetry Issue

Just bought a couple of telemetry sensors to install in the truck. Install isn't the problem. The sensor that connects to the battery terminal in order to read battery voltage doesn't fit my battery terminals. There suppose to clip right on but my battery terminals from the car are high current batter connectors. Part number traxxas says to get is #6541. Also having issue with rpm sensor. I have an aftermarket slipper clutch that does not fit the magnet that attaches to gear on the clutch. Anyone else with these issue a or have a solution? I'm a newb to this and intend to race the truck only but I had the sensors so I thought why not.

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-12-2015 at 08:05 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Does your aftermarket slipper use stock spur gear or a different one?
    Bashing Slash ultimate, 2 minis, and 5B

RC Champion
    to correct your voltage issue it is possible to solder the voltage reading wire to the power wire from your battery(s)... all it does is read voltage and nothing else, there is no ground or signal wire comming off that so either way it will work. with the telemetry on a nitro rc, the voltage plugs into an extra slot on the receiver mainly because we only use 6-7 volts in our trucks, so it makes it easier to install.

for the rpm reading on the truck, you have to use a telemetry compatable spur gear for it to work. with out the magnet in the gear you will get a 0 reading mainly becasue the sensor senses how many times the magnetic feild pulls on that sensor and calqulates that into rpm.
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

RC poster
    I'll have to check to see if the stock gear fits on the aftermarket slipper but I think the bolt pattern is different. As to the soldering the voltage sensor to the battery terminals I'm a bit lost on how to go about that. It just makes no sense that they recommend that part number for the voltage sensor connector but it does not fit the stock terminals. I'm assuming they updated them in the last year or 2. I was just hoping they had a new updates adapter for the voltage connector. Thanks, for the help anyway.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Would something like this work for you?

Part # 6543

RC poster
    It looks just like the other one in the picture but I guess the best bet is to go to hobby shop and look with my own eyes.

RC poster
    I think the only difference is one has a long cable and the other has a short cable

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Can you post a picture of the battery connector on your truck?

Is it like this?

Or like this?

RC poster
    Yes I have the connectors in the first pic but the part traxxas recommends works on the connectors in the second pic

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    OK. That's the problem then. To get this to work you are going to have to solder a wire, coming off of the red wire on your ESC. Strip about 1/2" of the insulation off in a convenient spot of the red wire of the ESC, wrap the small gauge wire around it, solder it, cover with a good quality electrical tape. I normally say heat shrink everything, but you can't in this case.

RC poster
    Ok I get what your saying now. This should be interesting lol

RC poster
    Thanks for the info

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fmx1102 View Post
    Ok I get what your saying now. This should be interesting lol
    If you are not that great at soldering.... practice on some junk pieces of wire first. I taught myself to solder when I was 12 years old. Same with welding. I had no clue how to weld, or how a welder even worked. I always wanted to learn. I eventually just went out and bought one and welded a bunch of junk metal I found out in the garage together. This was LONG before we had YouTube to "cheat" with.

RC poster
    Yea YouTube has carried my butt up to now lol. But there is nothing online about this issue which is weird. Not sure why my slash has different connectors.

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 04-13-2015 at 08:26 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Not sure why my slash has different connectors.
    Those are the "new and improved" (LOL) ones. Eventually, they will all have them.

RC poster
    When you mean red cable to solder to do you mean the red cable from the sensor to the red battery terminal?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    When you mean red cable to solder to do you mean the red cable from the sensor to the red battery terminal?
    Yes. You only need positive

RC poster
    Gotcha. Thanks

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The little red wire from the sensor gets soldered to the big (12 gauge) wire on the ESC.