First Person View FPV Idea

That is cool idea to hold your phone on r/c car without velcro, tape, and tools. That is perfect for FPV. Much cheaper than using expensive FPV equipment.

FPV Idea is to create two Skype accounts- one for phone and one for computer/laptop. Simple to start do the FPV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHdrfOjeMBs

MONTAR By WinnerGear Best Universal Car Mount For Smartphones GPS PDA One Hand 360 Rotation Holder Cradle Windshield Dashboard For iPhone 3 3GS 4 4S 5 5S 6 Samsung Galaxy Note 2 3 II Galaxy S3 S4 IV i9300 i9500 i9200 i9100 HTC One X+ The New Droid RAZR Blackberry Q10 Z10 9700 9900 Sony Xperia Z L T LG Optimus Nokia Lumia 920 820 Google Nexus 4

Yeah.... no....

First, you need a good internet connection for the Skype to work off of the phone, and you will get cross-talk from the cellular/wifi signal and the RCs remote and electrical noise from the ESC, motor and servo. Also, Skype is not real time, but frequently has lags and hiccups, which will greatly hinder trying to control an RC via FPV. For recording video, that mount is fine, but does nothing to protect the phone in the event of a crash.

With that, its your money and hardware. Put it together, shoot a video and let us know how it works... or doesn't.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

I have always like fpv, but dont like the risk of having some one carry off the truck while your looking trough those goggles....I guess i will never build one even though love the idea !

Yeah do share with us when you got it up and running
    Live life to the fullest

GreatScott and Jezza

I will try do experiment putting iPhone on r/c car to see how signal goes on Skype and radio system. Hope no glitches. I will test it without buy the winnergear mount.

RC Racer
    I think its best to spend the money on the real deal FPV.

http://www.getfpv.com/fpv.html

Quote Originally Posted by Pedro Penduko View Post
    I think its best to spend the money on the real deal FPV.

http://www.getfpv.com/fpv.html
    I am still don't know what things I need for FPV. I've seen on videos of guys using googles, small screen lcd, some equipment and ground station. That is too many... I don't know what to get. Can you tell me what to get then I can write down on the shopping list.

Quote Originally Posted by jdpasl View Post
    I am still don't know what things I need for FPV. I've seen on videos of guys using googles, small screen lcd, some equipment and ground station. That is too many... I don't know what to get. Can you tell me what to get then I can write down on the shopping list.
    I am looking into this myself, that is why I know Skype won't work. I am looking at the multi-rotor community for answers on what is needed, they are the ones that use this technology the most. There are kits available, but don't know enough about them to recommend one over another.

There is a YouTube channel called "Flight Test", they have great videos on FPV, plus their website has reviews.

RC Champion
    The lower the frequency, the further the range and it has better penetration. I suggest the 1.2ghz system as it has the best range but you will be paying more for it. Kits start around $250 on eBay. That's for the 5.8ghz which has a short range but will work for RC cars well. You just need to expose the antenna on the car other wise range will be even shorter.
    Spartan Jet Boat
    Alias
    Fiero GTP

Can't we yell to Traxxas to make FPV RTR vehicle? That is going to make our life easier. No researching. I don't know if Traxxas is going to listen to us. Probably cost too much if Traxxas sell FPV RTR vehicle. Ok... just my imagination.... Anyway, last night I sent an email to www.getfpv.com store to ask what I need for FPV. I am looking forward to check an email from person at getfpv.com.

Can't we yell to Traxxas to make FPV RTR vehicle?
    For me, this would take a lot of the fun out of it. I love that RTRs allow people to jump into this hobby and get started with little effort and mild learning curve. The more people we have in the hobby, the more the hobby thrives and the more support there is. But, there is a danger in making things too easy, look at the number of multi-rotors that have been in the news because of people doing dumb things with them. From my perspective, part of the fun of the hobby is learning how to do things yourself, increasing your knowledge of the hobby and how to make things work instead of all of it arriving ready to go in a plastic-wrapped box. Doing things yourself and increasing your knowledge builds respect for the hobby.

I would go with Greatscott on that one

The whole idea for me of a hobby grade is the option of tweaking, thinkering and inventing my self.

For kids even better, withthis era of video technology, there is no more imagination, even the little bit of nature there is , they are unable to inform you and know what it is. I give my kid a littel and help them in the hobby so that they still may have a bit of interest in it.
    Live life to the fullest

Well, if Traxxas make FPV RTR vehicles for FPV ground only.. FPV ground is not dangerous. The problem is people do not know how FPV works, and trying to searching and researching. Most of information is different like people use different equipment. Nobody is using same equipment. Some of equipment is not needed to use. It confuses me. Must be some of advanced FPV users. I am the beginner. If Traxxas make FPV RTR vehicles for FPV ground is perfect for beginner users, also kids will love it.

I wish someone who is FPV expert come to my house and help me out to get FPV stuff, so my eyes can open and learn it quickly in person. haha

Check out these YouTube links from Flight Test...

https://www.youtube.com/profile.php?do=editpassword/flitetest/search?query=FPV

The hardest thing about it is choosing your system, FatShark makes some good ones that have gotten good reviews.

http://www.fatshark.com/

That is cool idea to hold your phone on r/c car without velcro, tape, and tools. That is perfect for FPV. Much cheaper than using expensive FPV equipment.

FPV Idea is to create two Skype accounts- one for phone and one for computer/laptop. Simple to start do the FPV.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHdrfOjeMBs

MONTAR By WinnerGear Best Universal Car Mount For Smartphones GPS PDA One Hand 360 Rotation Holder Cradle Windshield Dashboard For iPhone 3 3GS 4 4S 5 5S 6 Samsung Galaxy Note 2 3 II Galaxy S3 S4 IV i9300 i9500 i9200 i9100 HTC One X+ The New Droid RAZR Blackberry Q10 Z10 9700 9900 Sony Xperia Z L T LG Optimus Nokia Lumia 920 820 Google Nexus 4
    i would be so worried having my iPhone 6 plus on top of my rc lol. its a cool idea but what happens when you inevitably flip the car?
    2001 tmaxx, 2012 1/16 erevo vxl

Well, if Traxxas make FPV RTR vehicles for FPV ground only.. FPV ground is not dangerous. The problem is people do not know how FPV works, and trying to searching and researching. Most of information is different like people use different equipment. Nobody is using same equipment. Some of equipment is not needed to use. It confuses me. Must be some of advanced FPV users. I am the beginner. If Traxxas make FPV RTR vehicles for FPV ground is perfect for beginner users, also kids will love it.

I wish someone who is FPV expert come to my house and help me out to get FPV stuff, so my eyes can open and learn it quickly in person. haha
    A little bit of theory-to-practice here...
    In the last two weeks I have worked over 30 hours of OT, so I am using a small chunk of the money for a new RC. Nope, not a Traxxas, but the brand sounds like the part that goes between the transmission and the wheels, and the truck itself is a scale looking kit.

Any-hoo...
    There is a steering mod that can be done to greatly increase the amount the front wheels turn (left-to-right, not roundy-roundy), thus greatly decreasing the turn radius. It took me about three to four hours to research what parts were needed and modifications need to be made to the front axle. About an hour into it I was REALLY wishing I could find a kit with great instructions, but none exist. You have to collect all of the parts yourself, cut parts off of the axle housing, fit up the new parts, drill and tap a couple of screws in the right spots. Once you have all of this done, you have to make new steering linkage. I asked a lot of questions from my local crawler/scaler club, I found a couple of videos showing how this is done, and talked with my LHS; all of these resources combined gives me a great understanding of how to put this together and the confidence to actually do it once everything shows up in the mail (well, not everything, my LHS had a few of the parts I needed, so purchased the parts from them).

The moral to this tale is that it is normal to feel confused and overwhelmed when you first dive into something new, just like we all did when we bought I first hobby-grade RC (for most of us, that it was a Traxxas, of course). But, stick with it!!! Within an hour of saying to myself, "I wish I could find a kit for this" I had most of the information I needed.

JDPASL, when you get you FPV system put together, post up a thread detailing what you did, the equipment you bought, and the lessons you learned. More than likely there is someone else around here that will have the exact same questions you did.

JMHO...
    Last edited by Greatscott; 04-20-2015 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Greatscott View Post
    JDPASL, when you get you FPV system put together, post up a thread detailing what you did, the equipment you bought, and the lessons you learned. More than likely there is someone else around here that will have the exact same questions you did.

JMHO...
    That is true. If I have FPV stuff then I could post in thread to shows how to put together and tell brand name and part number to make easier for people to find it and order it. Voila.

nathan8856 iphone6 plus is too big! I have not decide to trying do with my iPhone5s on r/c car. Very afraid.... I need some more time to think about getting FPV stuff. I need to stop buying r/c cars. lol FPV is my next plan.

RC poster
    If you are attempting to make a FPV for the first time is a process full of glitches but I would rather love to see the end results But honestly speaking I don't have the guts to attempt this and just ordered my first RC Helicopter -
    Align T-Rex 470LM Dominator Electric Helicopter Super Combo from www.helidirect.com

I hope it works for me.

RC Racer
    I stuck a little cam/vtx combo on my erevo and drove thru my fatsharks earlier this summer. It was fun and did work better than expected but I'll leave it for my drones. I still prefer to drive third person. Watching the wheelies and dirt get kicked up is half the fun for me.