RC poster

Alias dies after 30 seconds with NEW battery(s)

I have had my Alias for just over a year. Eight additional quads later, I still love to fly it. Here's my problem. When new, i was getting 9-11 min per puck. By early fall, it was down to around 2.5 - 3.0 minutes. Yes, even with new pucks, from many different vendors, including some quality ones. Have been flying primarily MMW motors. Near end of the flying season, I would only get 20-30 seconds of airtime, before my Tx started to beep. Over the winter, I installed fresh MMW (black edition) motors, new shafts and bearings. With fresh batteries in hand, I flew last night. A perfect windless pitch black night at a local soccer field. Great flying for maybe 30-45 seconds, and I got the Tx beeping. Brought the Alias back in and hovered until it died. Measured Pucks (3 of them) after they all dies prematurely at around 4.08vdc (unloaded). Any suggestions on what the issue might be, or what I can try. At this point, I'm suspecting the FC.

RC Qualifier
    my issue was very similar to yours, but I never found a reason why it started occurring? I have a total of 4 main boards (two of them new from Traxxas) for my two quads, and all have experienced this. I had quite a bit of online contact with Traxxas trying different things, but we never found any kind of solution that resolved this. in the end... I sent my boards off to Megasmicros and had the resistor responsible for this removed and replaced with a resistor that effectively disabled the LVC once and for all. I time my flights based on battery use now and I coudnt be happier.

you can mod the board yourself if you have good soldering skills, and Bonhomme explains how to do it here...
    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...ur-flighttime-!!!

are you running the LED lightbar on your quad? I have one board left that isn't modified and am using it on one I just built while waiting for two of my boards to return from Megas. with the light bar on I got 2:23 on one flight, 4:06 on a second flight, and 5:50 on a third. I took the light bar off and got 7:05 and 7:23. I never tested this previously because originally, I had good flight times with the light bars and never gave it any thought. I found this interesting though
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

You should do the resistor mod and see if that helps.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC poster
    Same thing happen to me with those motors. Went back to factory motors, back to 7mins of hard flying. Really gutted I liked the extra power.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by NZ1 View Post
    Same thing happen to me with those motors. Went back to factory motors, back to 7mins of hard flying. Really gutted I liked the extra power.
    my issue didn't matter what motors I had in it, including the V959 motors which have slightly less power then the stock. same issue in all cases and it occurred with a total of 5 different FEC's (two brand new from Traxxas) and three different controllers tried in every combination imaginable. there was no rhyme or reason for what I experienced and no common denominator to even go a direction with... never figured it out, but I do have a suspicion. in the end... I sent the three current boards I have off to megasmicros and had it dealt with permanently. no more LVC, no more cut short flight times . I time my flights now at 6 minutes and that is plenty enough time for me with as hard as I fly these.

I will be lightening up on them some soon. I have a 200QX coming in a few days and am looking very forward to a brushless quad that fly's full inverted . I have my Aliai to thank for my interest in quads as well as my progress with them. I will always fly them and maybe someday, we will see a brushless quad from Traxxas. that would be so cool!
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.