RC Competitor

Sensored vs. Sensorless.

Hi everybody, I was going to get the castle sv3 4600kv, on amazon, but it said that it was sensored. I then looked at the 5700kv, and it said that it was sensorless. Now, I am not sure what to get because I have read that sensored motors can wear out, and I want a good motor that will last for a long time. I also think that the 4600kv runs cooler than the 5700kv, is that correct?

There are pluses and minuses to both, but I do want a good, fast motor that could last and bash for a long time.

Thanks!

All motors wear out. If you're bashing and not going slow then sensorless is fine. Sensored only comes into play at startup and very slow speeds. Sensorless is easier to waterproof, but companies are finally starting to offer waterproof sensored systems.

Castle sensorless systems have the most cogging though. If you go sensorless I'd recommend a different brand.

RC Competitor
    Thanks for the reply. If I use a good quality 3 or 2 cell lipo, will that stop the cogging?

Thanks!

RC Champion
    Lower gearing.
    Dacaur

A good battery will reduce cogging, but if I would have to make a choice, I would go sensored. Bear in mind that you also need an ESC that is able to work with sensored motors and that the Sidewinder is not such an ESC.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Enthusiast
    I have the MERV with Castle Mamba X & 4600kv sensored running Big Joe IIs, 16/50 gearing & (2) 2S 2,200mah parallel. I personally prefer the sensored operation for negotiating ANY type of terrain. I like the ability to slow drive over obstacles.
    Not sure there is any proof but I have heard... that sensored is more efficient as well.

RC Competitor
    So, do you think that sensored would wear out faster than sensorless?

Thanks!

There is no reason for me to believe that there is a difference in wear between sensored and sensorless systems.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Champion
    Sensored motors use hall effect sensors in the endbell to tell the ESC where the rotor is, which work by sensing the magnetic​ fields of the rotor, so there are no extra moving parts to wear out.
    You do have the sensor ribbon that could theoretically get caught and broken, but as long as you have good wire routing it shouldn't be a concern.
    Dacaur

RC Champion
    I would figure out what you plan on doing with your RC. If you plan to crawl, race, or go slow alot, go with a sensored setup. If your planning to just bash and go fast, I would stick with sensorless. It will be cheaper if you pick a sensorless setup.
    Erevo
    Slash 4x4 x2
    MAXX