RC poster

Soo hot melting my deans off!!!!!

Ok so I had a bad crash which ended up with my boat like a buoy for 5+ min, my 180a ESC was never quite the same kept giving me a voltage issue and then it finally went out... Now I ordered a new 180a ESC (same brand) with same motor, prop and batts ( TP 4060 motor, 2 8kMa 6s batts, and a Prather S220) before my electronics never got hot. Motor never even broke a sweat and with 16kma I could run for 20-30 min. NOW with the new ESC (same one just new version) it is generating sooooo much heat I have melted the deans connector right off the ESC power cords TWICE. The parallel adapter and batteries have not had a problem. Also the motor and ESC are just boiling hot, I can barely touch them. This has happened twice now (first two times I have ran the boat since the new ESC). I Was planning on ordering a Prather 215 but I'm still wondering why it's generating so much heat when it did not before. I don't think it is going any faster really... So wondering why the heat?? And it's so hot that I'm not sure propping down is gonna help that much. Also I did add larger dual trim tabs and longer turn fins but really doubt that those are a factor in the heat... Maybe..??

Note the deans were soldered on by my LHS and they are very good solder jobs. The guys at the shop couldn't believe it. Though I would reach out to you guys in here.

Thnx in advance.

[/URL]

View My Video

<embed width="440" height="420" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://v8.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=ofdmrp&s=8"><br><font size="1"><a href="http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=ofdmrp&s=8">Original Video</a> - More videos at <a href="http://tinypic.com">TinyPic</a></font>
    Last edited by MadSpartan; 04-17-2015 at 09:04 PM.

When fixed my boats' hull after hitting a turtle last year, I had some goofy problems to sort out. At first when I trouble shoot, I try looking at the easy things first, then the not so easy, and finally the hard stuff. When I couldn't get on to what was going wrong, I put my boat back to a 100% factory set-up. From there, I added my stuff back on one thing at a time (with a test run after each step) until I found the problem.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Enthusiast
    Does the ESC have a timing adjustment? Most do. You might make sure it isn't set to High for some reason out of the box.

RC Enthusiast
    The hobbywing or seaking 180 is factory set to 15deg. But id find different connectors too

RC Enthusiast
    Upgrade to 10 gauge wires to the ESC and change all your connectors to EC5 and your problem will go away.

Carmen

RC Enthusiast
    For sure on the EC 5, be carefull when you order them ,the next batch needs to come from the same supplier,others are still blue EC5 but a little different,to close to see in a pic ,but a little lighter blue and won't plug in to your first set ,in other words lots of people are making them but not exactly the same ,but they cured all my problems on trucks and buggies and now boats

RC Enthusiast
    Yes you can change the timing from the default 15 deg to 0/3.75/7.5/11.25/15/18.75/22.5/26.25
    Ive read for a 4 pole motor 0 or 3.75 should work best. Im starting at 0 and will experiment later maybe

The reason that your connects are melting off is not because your ESC is overheating but because you have placed so much load on the system that the esc is asking for more power than you would want to go through those connectors. Deans plugs are rated at 60a continuous. The esc you have in that boat is rated to 180a and the Spartan will draw wayyyy over that especially with that propellor. I would prop down and upgrade the connectors if I were you. Just to stay on the safe side. I would replace them with Castle connectors. Those are good for 200a of continuous current. Also what kv is your TP? Hope this helps!
    37 Fightercat Shocker
    Traxxas Spartan

RC Racer
    As mentioned above, deans are great for cars and planes that draw a quarter of what the spartan draws. Especially with that prop, i would upgrade to ec5 and prop down. I had the same issue with my stock connectors kept melting off. I put on ec5 and eventually a dual pick up rudder and the boat runs super cool. I can leave my finger on the motor forever after a full throttle run.