RC poster

jato 3.3 Engine problems?

Ok so first off my first time on this fourm

I got a jato used, gently used at that, has been running great at bout 220-230F and nice trail of smoke at all times just bashing. Was out last night in some dirt and it just stopped, i saw a rock wedged between the flywheel and frame, thought to my self that would stop the motor in a heartbeat.

Well dug that out and the motor was seized, so went home got it unstuck (pounded the piston down with light taps) and noticed the sleeve had a score mark in it and the piston had something stuck to the side, so cleaned it all up and everything and piston moves freely now and seems to have compression, but it wont stay running now when im off throttle? it always ran great and even put a new plug in it to check and same thing.

Would you recommend a new piston/Sleeve kit ( races start on may 3rd here and kinda wanna run it there)

And the idle seems to do absolutely nothing?

I have owned a HPI RS4 Evo 3+ in the past just have no races for on road around here so go this.

Thanks

Were you running without air filter? How dirt n rocks got inside the motor?

RC poster
    Yes air filter was on and is changed whenever i run for 1-3 hours depends where at (on road, dirt...) and i cleaned it up and rebuilt it and it fired right up and reached temp idling, will have it out for a bit today to see if power has stayed or not.

RC Qualifier
    I had a similar problem,turned out the keeper clips to hold the wrist pin...I had one come out and wedge itself between the piston and sleeve.So check them out.
    nutty like a squirrel turd....!!!!!

RC poster
    got it out today for a small run, first off of a time getting to start, and stay running. and once i did it was sluggish and didnt want to go very bad.

here are some pics of the Piston and Sleeve
    http://imgur.com/a/KMziY

*Watch the language and remove words that have been replaced by the language filter with a "*"
    Last edited by Double G; 04-19-2015 at 07:00 PM. Reason: language

RC Champion
    Replace it. There's no way around that. Most likely part of the glow plug broke off and scored the p/s.
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

Did you have the piston and sleeve out? If you did, it sounds like you put the piston in backwards. There is a cutout on the skirt of the piston, it has to face the carb. Remove your exhaust header, and turn the crank slowly. If you can see the cutout through the exhaust port the piston is in backwards. If you scored the sleeve, it may run for awhile, but it will need to be replace. if you continue to run now, you will ruin your bearings for sure.
    Rusty 2.5R,T-max 2.5 & 3.3,Summit VXL Nitro 4-tec

RC Champion
    ^ Knows his stuff
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by westoakmech View Post
    Did you have the piston and sleeve out? If you did, it sounds like you put the piston in backwards. There is a cutout on the skirt of the piston, it has to face the carb. Remove your exhaust header, and turn the crank slowly. If you can see the cutout through the exhaust port the piston is in backwards. If you scored the sleeve, it may run for awhile, but it will need to be replace. if you continue to run now, you will ruin your bearings for sure.
    Ok will replace it then, and yes its in right i looked it all up before i put it in, oil hole towards carb along with the cutout.
    do u think i should just buy a motor without a carb or starter for $80 on ebay and use my carb and maybe sell this motor?

or might do this and swap out what i need to.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-Traxxas-...item56643a333b
    http://www.rcsuperstore.com/Traxxas-...shoppingengine
    Last edited by MonsterDrinkin; 04-19-2015 at 07:27 PM.

You could go either way. Might be better to do the crankcase with bearings, can do that cheaper than just bearings. I tthink the cost comes about the same either way.
    Rusty 2.5R,T-max 2.5 & 3.3,Summit VXL Nitro 4-tec