RC Qualifier

Ok, Brushless guru's need some help with a conversion

Really went and blown the power to weight ratio on my FLM build. Installed a set of mudslingers and aluminum rims, this thing is weighing in at 18.6Lbs with batteries. Have lost the torque curve and the motors are running hot. Yeah I know change the gear ratio, not what I'm looking to do.

What brushless system will handle that kind if weight?

Noticed that CC has a 1/5 scale set up good to 25Lbs. Believe it was the 2028 and the Mamba XL2 but man $500+ OUCH.

2028-800Kv Motor Specs
    Length: 4.4" 113.2mm Diameter w/fins:2.2" 57m Shaft Size: 8mm 30mmm long Weight: 44oz

Max RPM: 45,000 Kv 800 Controller Required: Sensorless only Motor Mount Spacing: 30mm

Wonder if it would even fit in a FLM chassis and if the drivetrain could handle it?

What motor mount would handle this setup?

Is there any alternatives?

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by mudbug85603; 04-18-2015 at 02:09 PM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Well I'm not that brushless guru you asked for...I just wanted to commend you on having an 18lb truck lol

I have to say though, the way these guys describe the problems with the drivetrain on the stock brushless system I could only imagine the problems being worse with a 1/5th scale powerplant.
    We are all one race. The human race.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by G-Rustler View Post
    Well I'm not that brushless guru you asked for...I just wanted to commend you on having an 18lb truck lol

I have to say though, the way these guys describe the problems with the drivetrain on the stock brushless system I could only imagine the problems being worse with a 1/5th scale powerplant.
    Yup gave birth to a 18 1/2Lb bouncing baby E Maxx and it was done without an epidural..........

Did go out and take some measurements that motor will fit....... Would be quite a sight to see when the body get's lifted though..... Nothing but motor.....Kinda like shoving a built 460 in a Pinto

RC Qualifier
    Looking at Kershaw's site... He has some 1/5 scale setups any suggestions?
    1. Castle Creations Mamba Extreme 34V VS2 - Leopard 5898 910KV Motor
    2. Castle Creations Mamba Extreme 34V VS2 - Leopard 5882 1360KV Motor
    3. Castle Creations Mamba Extreme 34V VS2 - Leopard 40XX Motor

RC Competitor
    How about some of the Neu custom motors on the castle site? I would think one of the 1518, 1521 or 1527 motors would work fine. They are certainly much longer (I believe up to 4 inches) and therefore would have much more torque. I would think you could use the stock controller with one of those.

Or myself, I would consider getting one of the 1717 XO-1 motors and the custom motor mount for it. That would be a sweet setup and probably the one I'd go with.

I would think the 2028 would be too big for an e-maxx. Thing is darn near the size of a soda can plus you'd have all that weight torqueing the motor plate.

Nice build.

RC Competitor
    There is a leopard motor that's not 1/5 scale but extra long that's advertised as for heavy 1/8 scale or light 1/5 scale which would probably be a more economical alternative.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by tim71 View Post
    There is a leopard motor that's not 1/5 scale but extra long that's advertised as for heavy 1/8 scale or light 1/5 scale which would probably be a more economical alternative.
    Yes Sir, gonna figure this out before I pull the trigger...... There must be a 1/8 scale setup that will handle heavier vehicles. Just don't know about it and haven't found it yet. The only one big 1/8th I have found so far say up to 15Lbs. Some one will chime in and send me in the right direction.

Ok, Brushless guru's need some help with a conversion

XO-1 motor:
    http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/traxxas-...ter-motor.html
    and ESC:
    http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/traxxas-...treme-esc.html
    should be more than enough to rip the guts out of your Maxx.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 04-18-2015 at 06:36 PM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Thanks ksb....... it's a maybe, no doubt

Man, that truck is a rolling monument of manly madness! (lol) If I put in my two cents, I'd go with what KSB suggest. That XO-1 set up is a nice set up.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah..... Might have gone a little overboard......The plastic rims kept stripping the hex out of the rim or the tires would rip at the bead. So in classic Mudbug fashion, bigger, better, stronger.....Now just gotta get a power plant to push it.....

Looked up that recommendation from ksb. Will likely go down that road but, still wanna do a bit more research
    Last edited by mudbug85603; 04-18-2015 at 06:58 PM.

RC Competitor
    I know I am looking at the XO-1 motor for my FLM e-maxx but it's not on the front burner right now.

RC Competitor
    How about a TMM 25063-3 for Cars X2-SERIES (you can even get it waterproofed) paired with a suitable Lehner motor
    http://www.mgm-controllers.com/cars/...l?set-region=3
    http://www.mgm-controllers.com/cars/...et-subregion=6

Last edited by grumpy42; 04-19-2015 at 02:48 AM.
    Proud member of the red card club.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy42 View Post
    How about a TMM 25063-3 for Cars X2-SERIES (you can even get it waterproofed) paired with a suitable Lehner motor
    http://www.mgm-controllers.com/cars/...l?set-region=3
    http://www.mgm-controllers.com/cars/...et-subregion=6
    Grumpy thanks for the suggestion...... Man, I'm not independently wealthy LoL....... Did you see the prices on some of those motors. Near $500 US and down and near $500 US on the ESC.

I could see spending that kinda money on something that fly's but, on a truck that's gonna hit trees........... Well
    Last edited by mudbug85603; 04-19-2015 at 07:28 AM.

RC Qualifier
    What about the Leopard Brushless Inrunner 1600Kv 4-Pole ?

http://www.amazon.com/Leopard-Brushl.../dp/B00CBTY8I8

Or possibly the Leopard 4092 in the 1480KV or 1730 version?

http://www.leopardhobby.com/proviewe...=1&gid=68&pt=3

Is the CC 1717 the better choice?
    Last edited by mudbug85603; 04-19-2015 at 07:54 AM.

Copied this from here http://www.robotwars.00server.com/emaxxupgrade.html

Low cost Motors, in order of suitability / power output ( best to least ):

Tacon 4074 2000kv Great 4-5s lipo motor
    Tacon 4074 2150kv Great 4-5s lipo motor
    Leopard 4074 2000kv Great 4-5s lipo motor
    Kershaw Designs Gen5 motors 4274 2200kv 4-6s max
    Leopard 4074 2150kv Great 4-5s lipo motor
    Leopard 4082 1600kv Good 6s lipo motor
    Leopard 4282 2000kv Massive motor ideal for heavier trucks, 4-5s lipo
    Infinite 3977 2000kv Low end motor, 4-5s lipo

Low cost Speed Controllers, in order of suitability / power handling capability ( best to least ):

Hobbywing EZRUN 150amp 6s lipo esc
    Toro 150amp Clone of the Tekin Rx8 esc, 4-6s lipo
    SpeedPassion Silver Arrow Re-branded Hobbywing esc, 2-4s lipo

Complete low-cost systems, in order of suitability ( best to least ):

Kershaw Designs Gen5 4s Systems 3874 2400kv & 120amp 4s esc
    Castle Creations Sidewinder 8th 1515B-2200kv & 90amp 6s esc
    Novak Diablo Dual Battery System Diablo 550 motor & 4s lipo Sensored esc
    Speed Passion Silver Arrow 1/8 system 2200kv motor, 2-4s lipo max with moderate gearing
    OkHobby 160amp 4s System 160amp 5s esc, 3977 2050kv motor
    OkHobby 160amp 5s System 160amp 5s esc, 3977 1680kv motor

Complete Mid-Range Systems

HobbyWing XERUN Systems 4274 1800kv & 150amp 6s esc
    HobbyWing QuicRun Systems 4074 2000kv & 150amp 6s esc
    HobbyWing QuicRun Systems 4274 2000kv & 150amp 6s esc
    HobbyWing EXRUN Systems 4274 2000kv & 150amp esc & programming box
    HobbyWing EZRUN Systems 4274 2000kv & 150amp 6s esc
    HobbyWing XERUN Systems 4274 2200kv & 150amp Sensored 6s esc
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 04-19-2015 at 02:15 PM.
    My RC Cycle:
    Build it, Drive it, Brake it.

RC Qualifier
    After spending a few hours of research and suggestions from Y'all really leaning towards the Leopard Waterproof Ground 150A Pro and the Leopard 4282 Brushless Motor in either the 1600Kv or 2000Kv likely the 1600.
    Think it will work?
    Would the 2000Kv be better? Would think the 1600 would handle the weight better that the 2000.
    Will the 40 series Leopard motors fit in the stock brushless mount?
    Last edited by mudbug85603; 04-19-2015 at 08:53 AM.

If you're not sure you can ask Dan at Kershaw, or Steve at Offshore Electronics. They've always helped me when I've needed answers.
    The ReglarGuy is kid tested and father approved.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ReglarGuy View Post
    If you're not sure you can ask Dan at Kershaw, or Steve at Offshore Electronics. They've always helped me when I've needed answers.
    Yup RG, shot Dan an email already...... More than likely buy from him also..... Did the first motor upgrade through him and will need the mount to get those twin 700's in my Summit which KD will have.... I do like supporting folks that take the time to take care of their customers.

Quote Originally Posted by mudbug85603 View Post
    Yup RG, shot Dan an email already...... More than likely buy from him also..... Did the first motor upgrade through him and will need the mount to get those twin 700's in my Summit which KD will have.... I do like supporting folks that take the time to take care of their customers.
    I'd feel a lot better about supporting a merchant that does not advertise and sell knockoff items - more specifically unlicensed and inferior copies of Traxxas High Current Connectors. But that's just me.

Other merchants have been banned from the forum for the same reason. I wonder if KD is destined for the same.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    I'd feel a lot better about supporting a merchant that does not advertise and sell knockoff items - more specifically unlicensed and inferior copies of Traxxas High Current Connectors. But that's just me.

Other merchants have been banned from the forum for the same reason. I wonder if KD is destined for the same.
    Well then you should ban all aftermarket suppliers. Not everyone produces/sells top quality products including Traxxas. It is up to the buyer to be well informed and that is the purpose of forums as this. Or is it possible that you are just a little hurt that I have not yet taken your advice on the XO-1 motor?

Well then you should ban all aftermarket suppliers. Not everyone produces/sells top quality products including Traxxas. It is up to the buyer to be well informed and that is the purpose of forums as this. Or is it possible that you are just a little hurt that I have not yet taken your advice on the XO-1 motor?
    Once again, you missed the point. If it were about quality, I think many popular aftermarket suppliers would be forbidden.

Traxxas considers those connectors to be their intellectual property, and nobody has be granted a license to produce them.
    It is therefore the opinion of Traxxas that knockoffs are ILLEGAL. The notification that they are inferior was me trying to look out for a fellow hobbyist, just as my suggestion of a motor system was me trying to help out. I couldn't care less which system you run, but it is my duty to make sure you keep your responses civil, and that is something at which you are not doing so well.

Regarding banned products and brands:
    Please take note that several brand names that were previously allowed have now been blocked by our language filter. These are brands that come from the banned website based out of Hong Kong. Discussing these products will no longer be allowed on the Traxxas forum and will be treated just like mention of the website they come from has been for some time now. We appreciate your cooperation on this in future posts. This prohibition includes not only links and references, but graphic representations as well.

The retailer you inquired about or referenced is banned because Traxxas claims they have pirated Traxxas product designs. Traxxas therefore will not allow any mention, photo, link, or any other reference of that site or its products on the forum that Traxxas pays for.

RC Competitor
    Grumpy thanks for the suggestion...... Man, I'm not independently wealthy LoL....... Did you see the prices on some of those motors. Near $500 US and down and near $500 US on the ESC.

I could see spending that kinda money on something that fly's but, on a truck that's gonna hit trees........... Well
    Yah, I realize that it is somewhat over the top (hence the smileys). I too have been look around for a stronger power power system since my RPM/FLM build is looking to be a porker (especially if I let myself be tempted by those RC4WD Huntsmans).

There does not seem to be many waterproofed options larger than 1/8. The ARRMA 1/8 power system looks interesting (as does the Kraton)
    http://www.arrma-rc.com/part-info2.php?partNo=AR390120
    http://www.arrma-rc.com/part-info2.php?partNo=AR390112
    Proud member of the red card club.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy42 View Post
    Yah, I realize that it is somewhat over the top (hence the smileys). I too have been look around for a stronger power power system since my RPM/FLM build is looking to be a porker (especially if I let myself be tempted by those RC4WD Huntsmans).

There does not seem to be many waterproofed options larger than 1/8. The ARRMA 1/8 power system looks interesting (as does the Kraton)
    http://www.arrma-rc.com/part-info2.php?partNo=AR390120
    http://www.arrma-rc.com/part-info2.php?partNo=AR390112
    This one claims to be waterproof, and yes, waterproof is high on my priority list also. There may be other places to get it at better prices though, that link is just an example. It's built by Leopard so the quality should be there, also you can get the programming card for around $10 or just program it through the ESC it self.

http://www.rcmart.com/quicrun-brushl...Path=1560_1021

Have read a lot of good things about the Leopard 42 series specifically the 4292 and 4282 for heavier 1/8 scale and light 1/5 scale trucks.

I have read that quite a few folks complain about the CC Castle link updates messing up everything. Also have read, many say if you don't buy ESC's and BEC's directly from CC you may get an out of date/inferior product. Apparently they had a bad batch with a few glitches in them. So that has me spooked on spending the kinda money they want.
    Last edited by mudbug85603; 04-19-2015 at 06:29 PM.