RC Competitor

Gearing For CC SCT combo

I have the castle creations sct editiong combo and iwas wondering what i should use for gearing. I have the stock gearing that came with my slash and iwas woondering if i can put the optional gearing that came with it on. I last used the optional gearing around christmas when i was racing and fried the stock motor.

RC Qualifier
    I would leave it stock. The CC SCT stuff is an upgrade (my opinion) but it's in the same ballpark as the standard motor and should be geared accordingly. Do you know what Kv the new motor is?

The large spur gear they give you is for limited high speed runs only. My 2 cents.

RC Racer
    I run my slash 2wd with the cc SCT with the 23/86 with no problems at all. And it really Wake's it up!

That motor can pull fairly tall gearing in a 2WD Slash so 23/86 should be no problem at all. In fact you could probably go a bit higher if you wanted, depending on how you're using the truck.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

RC Qualifier
    Please disregard my response. I was on my phone and didn't notice this was 2WD Slash, lol. My Bad.

Quote Originally Posted by elDax View Post
    I would leave it stock. The CC SCT stuff is an upgrade (my opinion) but it's in the same ballpark as the standard motor and should be geared accordingly. Do you know what Kv the new motor is?

The large spur gear they give you is for limited high speed runs only. My 2 cents.

RC Qualifier
    A place where I have food, shelter, shower, water, bed and internet
    Use the castle gearing chart. (if its in there)
    Sl4sh, Arrma Talion, Stamp4de, Castle, MIP, RPM

I've found that gearing chart to be extremely conservative for my two Castle motors (1410 3800 and 1406 4600) on 2S but I guess it depends on how you're using the truck as it makes no reference to terrain.
    Pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the RC car

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wolf View Post
    I've found that gearing chart to be extremely conservative for my two Castle motors (1410 3800 and 1406 4600) on 2S but I guess it depends on how you're using the truck as it makes no reference to terrain.
    I will mostly be racing it with some bashing when I'm not racing and I used what was recommended I was just wondering what would be better because i felt after I ran it for a good 20 min and it was probably 100something degrees (don't have a temp gun) and I race on dirt when I go

I run my slash with a cc SCT combo at 23/86, and I only get 127 degrees as my max temp. I use a 2s lipo and trencher tires. I am probably going to gear up to 31/76 when I get those gears. I run in sand,loose dirt, and a dirt road. Sand makes the temps go higher. Get a temp gun, they help a lot. This is the one I got http://www.lowes.com/pd_562135-56005...ers&facetInfo= Have fun!

RC Enthusiast
    Probably be best if you actually listed the tooth counts you are considering rather than just saying "stock". The stock VXL is 23/86 which I believe is the optional gearing for the XL-5. 23/86 works great in my son's slash with the 3800 combo.

If you have an original titan XL-5 model I think stock is 16/90. That would probably be too low for only 3800kv so you would want to use the "optional" 23/86 set.

RC Qualifier
    i have been running 23/86 on the cc 3800 sct combo for over a year n no heating problems even in the sand with slingshots in 80degree outside temperatures. buy a temp gun and check them periodically. but no problems here all i do is bash no racing on 2s packs.
    "Jedi Master"