RC poster

problem with latrax rally diffs

ive been having this problem where my latrax rally will sound like the gears are shatteed but i take the whole transmission apart and it all looks fine whats the problem with it?

RC poster

RC Racer
    Buy the differential set for the teton and put them in, the ring and pinion are metal

RC Racer
    Have you looked at the motor pinion and spur?

RC poster
    Yes I have looked they are fine

RC Racer
    I watched the vid, it must be the plastic diff gears are stripped. new teton diffs are a must. one of the most meaningful things you can do to a rally

RC poster
    Is this the part to buy then? http://www.rcplanet.com/Traxxas_LaTr..._p/tra7683.htm

Do you put this in front and rear?

I have the same issue with mine. I replaced the Traxxas Pinion Gear Diff LaTrax (2) TRA7578 on the rear and it worked for like two laps and now it will spin fine in my hands but once I put it on the ground it it barely moves. The only thing that looks maybe not 100% is the big gear from this http://www.rcplanet.com/Traxxas_Diff..._p/tra7579.htm

RC Racer
    That is the rally stock diff, you want the diffs from the teton/sst. Amazon listed the teton diffs at like 38 bucks but the sst ones are cheaper even though they're the same.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00QA2...rds=latrax+sst

That's the one you want, it comes with two one up front one in the rear

RC Racer
    And I'd recommend locking the rear diff with superglue or shoe goo, helps let out the back end for drifting and keeps you going straight when drag racing

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by cburbs View Post
    Is this the part to buy then? http://www.rcplanet.com/Traxxas_LaTr..._p/tra7683.htm

Do you put this in front and rear?
    Yes,buy two sets of these. The TRA7579 rebuild kit will work with all three LaTrax models. Just use the metal spur and pinion gear (TRA7683) instead of the plastic ones. Use some ASC21141 shims to tighten the gear mesh.
    You don't need to spend $30 to keep it on the road. Once you get the metal gears(TRA7683)you will just need the rebuild kit to fix your diffs.

Good luck !

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrallyisfaster View Post
    And I'd recommend locking the rear diff with superglue or shoe goo, helps let out the back end for drifting and keeps you going straight when drag racing
    On that note, Traxxas does have an Aluminum Spool. (#7581)

RC Enthusiast
    Piggy backing off an older thread, our SST stripped all the plastic cogs in the metal gear (Part #7683), and on the plastic sleeves drive shaft sleeves (part #7579)

We have the metal spur and pinion gear, but all the surrounding gears have gone. Is there a metal replacement we can pick up for the remaining pieces?

RC poster

Same Problem - Replaced Diffs

I've got the same problem with my LaTraxx as the OP does in his video. I replaced the front and rear diffs with the metal diff set (7579x). The problem was reduced for a few minutes but then went right back to the original issue. I'm not visually seeing any stripped gears and I've torn down the whole thing. I called Traxxas and the guy kept insisting it was the motor because "sometimes the brushes go bad," and "it's usually the motors with these." I couldn't hold on to the drive shaft when giving throttle, the motor was so strong but I replaced it anyway and still no change. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else to try? The closest hobby store is 50 miles away. I'd rather not go that route.

RC poster
    Just wanted to follow up on this in case anyone else runs across this thread. I actually found it with a Google search. The OP mentioned in the comments on his Youtube video (linked above) that the solution was to replace the plastic / nylon bushings with the metal bearing kit. Since replacing the diffs didn't fix it for me I tried that as well and sure enough, it worked. Not sure if the plastic bushings were binding up and maybe blocking axle spin or something else but getting those cheap plastic ones out made a difference. This was a particularly odd problem because none of the gears were visibly stripped.

There are several bushings on the drive shaft, two in each wheel and of course two on each diff. I went ahead and replaced them all since they all came in the kit.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by katwitch View Post
    I've got the same problem with my LaTraxx as the OP does in his video. I replaced the front and rear diffs with the metal diff set (7579x). The problem was reduced for a few minutes but then went right back to the original issue. I'm not visually seeing any stripped gears and I've torn down the whole thing. I called Traxxas and the guy kept insisting it was the motor because "sometimes the brushes go bad," and "it's usually the motors with these." I couldn't hold on to the drive shaft when giving throttle, the motor was so strong but I replaced it anyway and still no change. Does anyone have any suggestions on what else to try? The closest hobby store is 50 miles away. I'd rather not go that route.
    Also metal gears sound like shredded plastic gears sometimes, even if they are completely fine.