Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teton Tires

RC Competitor

Teton Tires

My tires keep coming off. I am almost positive bigger or much wider tires will not fit. However I did see 1/10 Touring wheels or drift wheels will fit just not sure what kind is good and will last for under $30. Any help is much appreciated. What options do I have? I mostly run on blacktop some grass but I'm thinking the drift or touring wheels would help keep things smooth and rolling on the grass anyway. Thanks a lot everyone here is great help!!!

RC Enthusiast
    First off you can glue down the tires add some foam for increased grip and durability. However the best option is VATERRA Kalahari Desert Spec Tire (VTR41001). I was told the Traxxas slash and SST wheels could be used as well but haven't seen anybody with that set-up yet.

RC Racer
    I got a set of sst wheels, they're great less traction than the teton wheels. Climbs more
    Like a truck and drives better on the street

RC Competitor
    Thanks I order the Vaterra they look awesome!!

RC Racer
    I run my brushless Teton with stock tires and no foam. Mainly on blacktop with some off-road/grass use.
    I've found the tires must be glued to the rim to improve performance.
    After removing the wheel from the truck and leaving the tire on the rim. Take some Superglue or CA and run a bead of it where the tire meets the rim.
    Glue all 4...let it set & then flip them over and run a bead on the other side.
    Last edited by walker_77; 04-29-2015 at 08:26 AM.

RC Competitor
    So I ordered 6 sets of 2 Vaterra Kalahari tires for all three of my cars. Do I need to change any gearing for the teton or should these things slap right on and run?

RC Enthusiast
    These are on order for me as well. The stock screws and hub should fit without issue as nobody mentioned anything about modifications.....I've seen alot of teton owners using them. One example below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlmy9dClbns

RC Competitor
    Thanks Styles the tires do look nice in that video. He pushes them and they look pretty soft but foam filled and glued!!! Also hoping the more narrow tire will help with steering. I'm excited!

RC Competitor
    UPDATE:

Mounted the Vaterra Kalahari tires and not very satisfied turning is terrible. You have to take turns very wide. I would recommend gluing the stock tires.

RC Racer
    Uh oh! Buy the SST wheels! Go crazy like I did and buy 1:16 erevo proline trenchers and cut your chassis a little, makes for a beast. Giostealthr did it on YouTube if you want crazy monster/tractor sized tires

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by STEEL View Post
    UPDATE:

Mounted the Vaterra Kalahari tires and not very satisfied turning is terrible. You have to take turns very wide. I would recommend gluing the stock tires.
    That shouldn't be as the Vaterra tires have pretty much the same dimensions as the stockers. The only thing I can think of is the voltage in the stock servo is insufficient to adequately move the added weight of new wheels or maybe your servo is just going. Remember the teton wheels are feather light without foam.

It seems you may need to upgrade your servo......trust me it will eventually burn out so you should see a difference. If you want to explore that option there are two available that fit perfectly and work very well:

1) Corona DS-929MG digital servo (very cheap. I use this one for now...metal gears instead of plastic :-)

2) Savox SH-0261MG digital servo (abit more expensive)
    Last edited by StylesJM; 05-03-2015 at 01:11 PM.

RC Racer
    How does the corona compare to savox? I've bought MG cheapos with dismal results so I've stuck with savox. Is the corona as fast and durable as savox?

RC Competitor
    The Vaterra tires are much more narrow so they just kinda skip or skid instead of digging in around corners. Less tire sitting on the ground I have three trucks so it's easy to compare the Vaterra tires to the stock tires. Perhaps changing the servo would help. Are there any waterproof servo options?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Myrallyisfaster View Post
    How does the corona compare to savox? I've bought MG cheapos with dismal results so I've stuck with savox. Is the corona as fast and durable as savox?
    Yes the Corona is more than sufficient for me and it's a cheap alternative to the Savox like $9.....the Savox is the best on the market for 1:18 I hear. There is a thread on Ultimate RC which tackles alot of these questions. He was a member here but his threads were removed

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=219413

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=219416
    Last edited by StylesJM; 05-04-2015 at 09:20 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by STEEL View Post
    The Vaterra tires are much more narrow so they just kinda skip or skid instead of digging in around corners. Less tire sitting on the ground I have three trucks so it's easy to compare the Vaterra tires to the stock tires. Perhaps changing the servo would help. Are there any waterproof servo options?
    Oh I see what you mean.......I feel almost guilty as I recommended the Vaterra's as a wheel upgrade. Maybe I should have tested them myself first before making suggestions off other's opinions. You can water-proof the servo using plasti-dip

https://youtu.be/YWncPVO1o7s

https://youtu.be/vu4muQWNwxM

RC Enthusiast
    i simply rub some marine ball bearing grease on the seams and a little on the horn area. This works great for me. I don't submerge it but it does just fine with keeping it from burning out from splashing around thru water.

Back to the Tire upgrades. I believe the inside is a 12mm hex. Can any 1/18 tire and wheel combo work? I would love to have more traction. Stocks are nice but i really want to dig in. I don't want to go proline trencher. Or modify my body to make them fit.

RC Racer
    I've got nothing: teton wheels, SST wheels, proline trenchers, Lego technic wheels are all I've found in production

RC Racer
    StylesJM what wheels are on that Packers build you did??? Those look like some nasty mud tires...

RC Enthusiast
    Ha again not my build but I think it's the 1/16 ******* Monster Beetle wheels PRT # 110BS-32150 + 110BS-32151. Rally Hex Adapter is needed to mount them.
    Last edited by StylesJM; 05-10-2015 at 12:49 PM.

RC poster
    Hi! New Tetonist here. I was wondering ... When you glue the stock tires of the Teton, do you also make vent holes in the tires?
    This was a suggestion I read here (http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2138417)

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Tetonizer View Post
    Hi! New Tetonist here. I was wondering ... When you glue the stock tires of the Teton, do you also make vent holes in the tires?
    Hi Tetonizer,
    Welcome to the land of stripped diffs and burnt brushes!
    The stock Teton rims have some very small holes around the circumference to allow air in & out after the tires are glued.

RC poster

Question

Haha, I noticed that the brushed motor is definitely not the Teton's major quality I'm already using my third engine since I bought this rascal a little over a month ago. I added a Deans connector between the ESC and the motor to make motor-swaps easy. Didn't have any experience with RC cars, so ruining the first engine was kind of my fault. I should have done a proper break-in of the motor before handing the car over to my son.

Anyway, about the vent holes in the rims versus holes in the tires ... In the article I mentioned I read:

"Theoretically, along with air, these holes [in the tires] will also allow trapped dirt and/or water to escape because it gets flung to the outside of the tire and out of the holes when it is spinning. If you are opposed to putting holes in the tires and you are only going to run in very clean conditions, you can get away with having vent holes only in the wheels."

I drive my Teton in sandy and muddy conditions. So I'm a bit worried about glued tires with just vent holes in the rims. I fear I will never get dirt out of the tires again. What's your experience?

RC Racer
    I ran my tires unglued while I still ran on brushed and constantly found dirt and water inside the rim. The truck was new and I was really putting a beating on it. Running through about everything you could imagine. Mud,3" of water,pea gravel,more mud,sugar sand.... everything(except snow...I'm in Florida!). I began to feel like I was spending more time tearing down the truck,replacing brushed motors,replacing driveshafts,cleaning and fiddling with the diffs and bearings then I was driving.

Then I dropped the brushless in with the aluminum driveshafts and started messing around with different pinion gears.I didn't have any other choice but to glue the tires then. They were blowing off the rims on every pack. Since I've found hardly any dirt or water in the rim. I don't think the small holes will allow much in unless your just totally submerged. It might help that I also try not to drive in any puddles anymore mainly to avoid constant maintenance on the bearings. I drive off road in mainly gravel and sand, but tend to stay on road mostly.
    Side note...
    After going brushless I was still having to tear down the truck to fix and grease the pesky diffs even more with the added power. Next I dropped in some all steel ball diffs and now I hardly ever tear down the truck anymore. I've found my most common part to break is the a-arms after hard impact, but sometimes the pin just pops out of its hole and all I need to do is remove the bumper and reinstall it. I've come to believe that a little bit of slop in those pin holes might even help prevent breaking the a-arms on hard impact by allowing the pin to pop out of place.

Good luck...I say glue em' up and let it rip. As long as your not putting foams in there a lil' dirt won't hurt. Definitely should rough up the surfaces with some 220 to get a good surface for the glue to stick though.

RC Racer
    I don't glue my wheels because I've never had a problem with slippage. I find it convenient to be able to pop a bead and drain my wheels between mud/slop pits. If you're getting dirty don't glue the wheels. If you're staying on pavement don't glue the wheels because I prefer ballooning under brushless lipo power

RC poster
    I only drive my Teton in sandy/muddy conditions: hill climbing, jumping and lots of drifting. I noticed that - when a tire come off the rim - it is on the inside of the rim most of the times. So I have considered to glue the tires only on the inside of the rim. This way the tire won't slip and I will still be able to remove sand and dirt from the wheels.

RC poster
    1/16 will fit with a little trimming

RC poster
    1/10 65mm x 27mm fit with no clearance issues. 6mm and 0mm offset. At 27mm they are a little narrow, they work well hill climbing, OK in the grass but slide all over in lose dirt.

Tried slash tires 1/16 worked, same height as stock,but a bit narrower. Too stiff for my liking. Ended up using the when we run on black top with the suspension slammed, but on the slightest bit of wet leaves they have no grip.

Losi mini 8ight rear trugy tires worked too.

Haven't yet found a Mt tire I like. I have gone as big as mud slinger 1.9's using wideners, but it is too much rubber for the drive train. All was good until I ran them in water. Then everything snapped at once.
    Last edited by Ditchrat; 06-01-2015 at 09:14 PM.

RC poster
    Does anyone have any suggestions for foam inserts for the stock Teton rims?

Cheers!

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthSide View Post
    Does anyone have any suggestions for foam inserts for the stock Teton rims?

Cheers!
    Not the most reasonable price but he is the only seller I could find.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-18-1-16-1-...item2351112430

RC poster
    Uh oh! Buy the SST wheels! Go crazy like I did and buy 1:16 erevo proline trenchers and cut your chassis a little, makes for a beast. Giostealthr did it on YouTube if you want crazy monster/tractor sized tires
    You could also get the redcat everest 16 tires if you want monster/tractor sized tires without any modifications to the chassis

RC poster
    I have ran several different sets of tires on my teton wider and taller. Just had to trip the front corners to let the tires turn without rubbing. Upgrading the steering servo is a must if your going to run anything other than stock tires.

I don't have a Teton, but I do know foam inserts really improve handling, I know this from my sst, just put some in the stock tires, they are really cheap, and then grab some super glue and glue the tires together. I have never used a Corona servo, but I do run Savox, and they are fast, strong, and efficient, and I highly recommend it. I may run my car really hard so hard that I have broken 4 aluminum axles, ruined front aluminum Hot Racing suspension arms on the first run, broken metal diffs, melted plastic ball diffs, there was some metal in those of course, and have even snapped a Hot Racing steel axle, well, my brother technically did cause he hit my car with his Ford GT, an awesome rc I recommend, though, you should run a Hobbywing system, he is and so far it's great!
    Doesn't need to be fancy. Just needs to run.

RC poster
    I noticed the yellow rc dune rear tires at the local shop today. They have the same tire dimensions as the stock teton tires. They came glued on nice black rims and seemed to have foam in them. Price was very low. Has anyone tried them on the Teton?

Those sounds pretty good, can you post pics when you get them?

RC Competitor
    The Corona is good! Not as good but I see no reason to pay over three times the price for the savox. I have the high voltage version of that Corona mentioned above. It's great. Just need to grind down a bit to fit, piece of cake.

How much $ is the Corona? My Savox was around 24$

RC poster
    I'm also looking for bigger tires and wheels for my Teton. I've seen people run trenchers on Merv wheels which I really like but not so thrilled about having to cut the chassis to make em fit. Any wheel and tire combo suggestions for the teton where I wouldn't have to modify anything?

RC poster
    If I absolutely have to modify I will but if I can get away without it would be great lol

RC Enthusiast
    Has anyone looked at or tried the Losi Mini 8ight buggy or truggy wheels and tires? I'm interested in a better wheel and tire setup as well. The local carpet track I run at, the stock tires don't give me a lot of traction.

https://www.amazon.com/Losi-8ight-T-...HJ6HHM005NJTRT

https://www.amazon.com/Losi-8ight-Bu.../dp/B013K4DG76

RC Enthusiast
    Here's another potential option. I have no idea if they work, but might be fun to look at them.

https://www.amazon.com/Team-Associat...ustomerReviews

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast