Arrow where is all the imperial data to justify engine swaps?

Been reading alot, everyone had an opinion on what engine to use for their upgrade but I have found no hard data to substantiate one engine over the other.

I think the front runners would be the OS .21 and .18, but agsin, that's simply based on opinion from what I can tell.

RC Champion
    That's a tough one to quantify without any test cases/parameters. I was perfectly happy with the 2.5R in mine. Then I got a trade deal on an OS21TM. It's a good performance improvement but is it worth the cost difference if I had to buy it at retail. That's questionable.

RC Enthusiast
    The dynamite Big Red $150,
    Traxxas bb kit $40,
    Having that huge head sticking out: Priceless
    Revo P26 T-Maxx P26RD T-Maxx TRX3.3 Slayer TRX3.3

RC Champion
    That will make it go. I have one in a much heavier truck. It rips.

Said hard data would be asking a group of people which make/model of car is better or even what engine to put into a rolling chassis: 305, 350, 454, fuel injected, carbed...
    It boils down to what performance you want to get out of it. I liked my 3.3, liked it more with a Losi carb, loved it after adding a THS pipe. Now I'm very satisfied with a .21TM and THS pipe; great combo that will flip it on its lid from a stop or even pull the front up when it hits second gear. Oomp mentioned, I believe, he prefers the .18TZ.
    You could have the most powerful engine out there, but what good is it when you are constantly replacing stripped or twisted parts and you cannot effectively get the power to the ground?
    If you are looking for dyno charts, either AB Mods, EB Mods or RB Mods used to have them posted on their sites showing before and after comparisons of power. I don't believe the power output numbers that manufacturers post as there is no standardization of determining the power.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Said hard data would be asking a group of people which make/model of car is better or even what engine to put into a rolling chassis: 305, 350, 454, fuel injected, carbed...
    It boils down to what performance you want to get out of it. I liked my 3.3, liked it more with a Losi carb, loved it after adding a THS pipe. Now I'm very satisfied with a .21TM and THS pipe; great combo that will flip it on its lid from a stop or even pull the front up when it hits second gear. Oomp mentioned, I believe, he prefers the .18TZ.
    You could have the most powerful engine out there, but what good is it when you are constantly replacing stripped or twisted parts and you cannot effectively get the power to the ground?
    If you are looking for dyno charts, either AB Mods, EB Mods or RB Mods used to have them posted on their sites showing before and after comparisons of power. I don't believe the power output numbers that manufacturers post as there is no standardization of determining the power.
    What gearing are you running? I have the same set up....21TM with THS pipe but barely lifts the front end off of the ground. I'm running 36 spur...not sure on the clutch bell.

RC Champion
    with a 14t clutch bell and 38t spur, i can carry the front tires for as long as I want.
    I have an RC problem...

15 / 38
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    I don't know what I have for gearing. It's stock Revo 2.5. Mine won't picked the front end up from a dead stop with the OS21TM. I am guessing the stock tires and high atttiude has something to do with it.

RC Champion
    +1 .
    Last edited by Oomp; 04-28-2015 at 10:54 PM.
    Believe 1/2 of what you see,and 0 of what you hear

I am looking for something that will tune well and hold its tune (with minimal adjustments throughout). I am looking for an engine comparable to the 3.3 or slightly better. I am looking for an engine that will last. Finally, I am looking for a bolt in without mods.

The one I have now is a tired 3.3 with an RB novarossi carb and I can not get it to tune for the life of me. I have resealed the carb, the exhaust, fuel tank, hoses and even switched to the stock pipe and bolt on header from the spring header. It runs better but still gives me a fit and constantly cuts off and is a pain to restart.

I got this truck used so there is no telling what the last person did or how much time is on it. It has SOME compression but I can easily spin the flywheel with my finger so, to me, that is worn out! I can only assume if I re sleeve it (piston/sleeve) it will run better but then I'm into an unknown setup with a new piston sleeve that I may have to toss out in favor of a better carb anyway. Sounds like it would be easier to upgrade and be done.

If the OS .18 is a bolt in upgrade, that may get the nod. I'm not looking for wheelies or damaged drivetrains - I just want to enjoy the Revo and call it a day. I'm tired of tuning for 30 minutes for 5 minutes of run time!

SO, it looks like the OS .18 has be discontinued. I guess that helps me make my decision....do it doesn't. Now, I have to decide whether to keep and rebuild the 3.3 with an 11K carb or simply buy a new engine all together.....still.....sigh

RC Champion
    The os .21 tm is readily available. It's a direct swap into your revo with no mods needed and it is a long lasting and powerful motor. It's also very easy to tune and stays in tune. The power upgrade is within reason and while it will make it easy to pull the front tires, it's not going to destroy the drivetrain like a true .21 big block will. I did convert my tm to a bump start only motor by buying the .18 tz back plate and grinding the little nub off the end of the crank.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Champion
    Finally, I am looking for a bolt in without mods
    The list is real short. You should just go with the 21TM. It's not worth discussing any other engines, based on all of the criteria that you laid out.

If the 18TM was still available, I would suggest that. It was only around $160 retail, when it was available. They(OS) took advantage of there not being many bolt on engines for the Revo, and upped the price $100, simply by increasing the cylinder size of the 18TM.
    Believe 1/2 of what you see,and 0 of what you hear