RC poster

Traxxas TSM vs Spektrum AVC...differences...?

Guys...

Traxxas just announced their TSM (Traxxas Stability Management) system for the Slash and Slash 4x4.

Looking over the scant literature available for TSM it seems to be a re-branding of the Spektrum AVC (Active Vehicle Control) with the big difference being that the stability / gyro management is adjusted at the transmitter on the Spektrum branded products and Traxxas uses their smart phone app. to facilitate changing the TSM set up.

From what I have seen / read about the Spektrum AVC implementation a transmitter based system seems like a better approach rather than requiring a smart phone; assuming you also do not need / want the smart phone telemetry, etc.

What do you think?

TIA.

:harry

Traxxas Employee
    The adjustment for amount of control will be handled through the multifunction knob on the TQi transmitter. I have personally driven both systems and can say that they are not at all alike. Until you drive a TSM truck its hard to understand what it can really do for you. High speed passes are much simpler and easier, drifting became a-lot simpler. Keep your eyes out for more info and videos, ask your local dealer for a test drive and try it with TSM on and off then you will see what it really does.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by blurrdvision View Post
    The adjustment for amount of control will be handled through the multifunction knob on the TQi transmitter. I have personally driven both systems and can say that they are not at all alike. Until you drive a TSM truck its hard to understand what it can really do for you. High speed passes are much simpler and easier, drifting became a-lot simpler. Keep your eyes out for more info and videos, ask your local dealer for a test drive and try it with TSM on and off then you will see what it really does.
    Which do you prefer? What's the difference between TSM and AVC?

Traxxas Employee
    Other systems limits your throttle so much you cannot get full power to the wheels like you can with TSM. Check this video out
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X9p5KMTiO4

There is also no waiting for TSM to initialize, turn the truck on and go. Other systems you have to wait for calibration to be complete before you can drive it. Other systems are helicopter gyros modified for an RC car, TSM is not that at all.

Imagine roasting a set of standard tires off of a Slash 4x4 on one 3cell Lipo. It will happen now

RC poster
    Not sure what "other systems" are being referred to here but I can say from experience that I can adjust throttle and steering independently with my Spektrum DX4C. If I turn the throttle control down to 0% it is not affecting throttle at all.

RC Qualifier
    You would think that turning the throttle down to 0% would turn the throttle off. A Spektrum glitch perhaps?

Accepting requests for bashing at GREENWOOD BASHPLEX in Pittsburgh PA!! Check the thread in the track buddy forum and reply there or pm
    So this works the same as my old esky gyro... When I turn it up, it does exactly the same as in the vid..

Is there some kind of blinky mode to show that it has been disabled for racing?
    Ya can't polish fertilizer...

RC Racer
    Well i have the ERBE, on it i had the Skyrc Gyro. I did not see it help very much when i was bashing with. I expected it come back left when i release the steering which should else it would turn over. which it never did.

now i've got the TSM receiver and i should say that this baby is meant to do what i expected from the gyro. The TSM in no will reduce you speed when you push the throttle down. It counter turns the steering servo as you release the steering from one side. Like at high speeds during bashing when you turn left you need to immediately turn right else the vehicle is going to overturn or loose control or over steer.

now to help you see it clearly in action. lift the car off the ground and move the rear of the vehicle left or right, nothing would happen. Now push the throttle when off the ground and move the read part of the vehicle left and right. You can see that the steering moves counter direction as you move the rear to any side.

I wonder why the skyrc gyro did not do that?

RC Qualifier
    A place where I have food, shelter, shower, water, bed and internet
    to be honest, I'd rather have spektrum AVC because I've had a traxxas transmitter that failed on me,.
    Sl4sh, Arrma Talion, Stamp4de, Castle, MIP, RPM

Quote Originally Posted by blurrdvision View Post
    Other systems limits your throttle so much you cannot get full power to the wheels like you can with TSM. Check this video out
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6X9p5KMTiO4

There is also no waiting for TSM to initialize, turn the truck on and go. Other systems you have to wait for calibration to be complete before you can drive it. Other systems are helicopter gyros modified for an RC car, TSM is not that at all.

Imagine roasting a set of standard tires off of a Slash 4x4 on one 3cell Lipo. It will happen now
    You can get full power to the wheels actually. Adjusting the throttle gain separate from the steering gain works! Try that TSM!
    and RC pilots say RC cars can't fly!

RC Qualifier
    I have the AVC on my 2wd Slash. I drive it at my local clay track for fun. The track can get like ice when it dries out.. I leave the throttle off but will turn the steering up from 30-50% depending on the track conditions. It's fabulous! I can get around the track great while everyone is spinning out. I don't like the throttle turned up as I don't have throttle control in the air. I have my slipper set accordingly. I like having full throttle control.

RC Racer
    I know you said for fun and that is fine but if you ever want to race your going to want to learn how to do all the driving yourself without the aid of the fancy driving assists. I'm sure when your just out there for fun they probably aren't doing much track maintenance and the conditions are much worse for traction than on a normal race day but still I think you'd do yourself a favor by leaving that off.

That said, I just installed a TSM receiver into my 1/16 vxl slash that is pretty hard to handle and it is pretty cool to see how much easier it is to drive in a straight line down the street at full speed

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Toadster25 View Post
    I know you said for fun and that is fine but if you ever want to race your going to want to learn how to do all the driving yourself without the aid of the fancy driving assists. I'm sure when your just out there for fun they probably aren't doing much track maintenance and the conditions are much worse for traction than on a normal race day but still I think you'd do yourself a favor by leaving that off.

That said, I just installed a TSM receiver into my 1/16 vxl slash that is pretty hard to handle and it is pretty cool to see how much easier it is to drive in a straight line down the street at full speed
    I used to race 4x4 SCT, and 2wd SCT. I've since retired the 4x4 and just drive my two 2wd SCT's. I find 2wd more enjoyable. They water down the track in the morning and traction is good. I leave the AVC off because I want to see how well I drive and compare my lap times. By 1:00pm it's a dry, slick, dusty mess. For a 2wd, the track is virtually impossible to drive on without spinning out. This is when I turn the AVC on, but still leave the throttle assist off.