RC poster

Car won't start up

Hi, My nitro slash 2wd wont start up. At first i thought it was the blue wire cause it was stuffed up and i had to fiddle around with it to get the glow plug light to turn on the ez start wand. So i asked on the community if i could get a glow plug igniter instead of getting a blue wire and said yes. I bought a glow plug igniter charged it for 12+ hours and went to try and turned it on. NOTHING!!! I need help i took some videos and photos to give you an idea.

Thanks, Jonathan.

Blue wire:
    http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/r...psln8sg07c.jpg

Glow plug video:
    http://vid483.photobucket.com/albums...psq6tmh7g4.mp4

Starting car video:
    http://vid483.photobucket.com/albums...psjuk77mj0.mp4

RC Qualifier
    You need a new glow plug, they should glow bright red.

Fuel + compression + glow + air = a running engine. Take one away and you have nothing.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    So what do you think i should do?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ball View Post
    You need a new glow plug, they should glow bright red.
    I tried two glow plugs in that video
    Last edited by Double G; 04-29-2015 at 11:08 AM. Reason: merge

If you have a multi-meter probe the two contacts to make sure you are getting ~1.5v coming out of it. One glow plug I could see, but two and you may want to look at the ignitor. The likelihood that a glow plug is bad out of the package is there but it is very small. I would be mad if I bought a $5-7 plug only to have it bad out of the package.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    alright ill get a new glow plug and see what happens

RC Champion
    i have had brand new glow plugs come with out a COIL, but let us know what you find, i would suggest getting a pull start over the NOT so Ez start. no wiring issues that way and no mad 15+ minute trips back home after a dead battery\ short in the starter motor.

you can turn the engine faster by hand with a pullstarter than with an elec starter, if you want the best starter get a roto start or "drill start" turns over the fastest, just have to carry around a drill
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

RC poster
    Hi from Norway.
    My son New traxxas will start, but dies when i remove electric starter. Do i need to replace the glowplug?
    Never mind spelling, i'm from norway ��

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Norwegianboy02 View Post
    Hi from Norway.
    My son New traxxas will start, but dies when i remove electric starter. Do i need to replace the glowplug?
    Never mind spelling, i'm from norway ��
    hi and welcome to the forums, with a new vehicle they always set the engine to be RICH for the break in process, however that can give some issues when trying to start up depending on location but i do not recomend changing the tune before actualy driving the truck, hold the trigger down slightly to keep the truck running or increase the idle cap on the engine to keep it running just at a slightly higher idle.

generaly you WILL have to hold the throttle somewhat open when starting a nitro rc, it is normal to keep it running, once it has started and begin to warn up to operating temp you should be okay with it at idle for a few seconds (10-20) with proper tune
    Last edited by mxaustin; 05-08-2015 at 11:12 AM.
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

RC poster
    Hi thanks for reply.
    The car starts, and we have byen driven quite a lot actually.
    Trouble now is: when i start The car with The el starter it runs, when el starter is connekted, but as soon as i remove el starter it stops emediatly

Its usually a good idea to leave the starter/glow igniter in the car for a while after starting. It just lets the plug warm up.
    Two stroke smoke

RC poster
    glow plugs go bad often. always try a new one first.

RC poster
    If you are done breaking in engine and motor dies after you remove glow starter, can sometimes mean you are running rich on your low speed needle. I had that issue previously, was rich on low speed needle and lean on high speed needle and it seemed to run decent but wouldn't idle well/would die after removing starter (unless I kept throttle 1/3 open) and would die after a decent wide open blast (as the puddled fuel from being rich down low burn off with being lean up high). This situation had me fouling glow plugs like crazy. Before I replaced pipe and carb - when it was still stock - I'd only change glow plug every gallon of fuel and more of a preventative measure, not because it needed it.