RC Enthusiast

Question Destroying Ball Bearings

So latley I"ve been going through ball bearings like crazy. When I replaced my gearbox, I fixed 2 there, and two days ago I replaced the onces in my right rear tire and today I fixed the ones the in left rear tire. The ball bearings get destroyed into a million pecies and become shreded.

Any help on why this keeps happeing will help a lot. Thanks

Umm , sound like your wheels are not sitting flush or vibrating when you run if your are destroying bearings all the time.
    Make sure that the wheels are nice and tight befire running, make sure that all your 1985 are still good in between your bearings and hex pins etc. You may add some if there is still al lot of play.

If you are using platic carriers verify that they are still in good condition or replace them, the platic is good, aluminum is an added bonus.

What kind of bearings are you running?

Verify that all your drive shafts are in good condition. The heavy duty 6852x vcl drive shafts are of popular choice to use on the 2wd pede, stronger then the stock ones.

Are the transmission out put shafts also still sitting and rotating without any play, if so, you may have to veryfy also the bearings in the tranns, may be those are playing up too.

Also under what conditions are you driving your truck, muddy, wet, dust etc. Regular maintenance on the truck is necessary, including bearings, cleaning and re-lubricating them etc.
    Last edited by Jezza; 04-30-2015 at 11:17 AM.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Racer
    do you do regular maintenance to your bearings. The rc is waterproof but the bearings are not. I like to take the brand new bearings apart(rubber seal off) and pack them with marine grade grease. This will help you out alot as I got sick of buying bulk bearings and replacing every month. I am a daily basher and usually wash my rc in the tub. Trust me it's a little work with big rewards and you will triple your bearing life. They usually come with very little grease that's barely better than a thick oil, and this wears out very quickly. I think it's to get you to buy more bearings. They have to make money somewhere. Try it out with one set on one side of your car and don't do the other side, let me know which set lasts longer.

RC Champion
    I've found that the wheel bearings all wear at about the same rate so to hear that your left rear tire bearings went out just a day after the right rear tire isn't surprising. When I have a wheel bearing go out I go and check the rest of the wheel bearings. Often times several of the others are just about to seize so I replace them at the same time.

No offense intended to mudzlinger and his bearing maintenance, but personally I just replace them when they start to go. Trying to preserve $1 bearings just isn't worth the headache for a guy with 10 thumbs and no free time!

RC Qualifier
    I totally agree with OSUBeaver. I don't clean or maintain much, but when one bearing goes, that's when I check or replace the rest.
    Mr nitro? Not since going brushless!

RC Enthusiast
    I haven't drove my RC in water at all yet.

The bearings I use are from Traxxas and they where new and they still broke a couple days after putting them in a greasing them.

I just replaced my gearbox and the ball bearings in there too so that isn't a problem.

The drives shafts are in perfect working condition and the shaft that go through the ball bearings show absolutley no sign a wear on them.

I drive my rc on cut grass and gravel roads, and somethimes sand, but I'm not bashing it yet, I still need to learn how to drive the thing first.

I always make sure that the tires are on tight and have no le-way.

After every about three runs and wash, clean, fix, and do everything else I was told to do to keep it lasting long.

RC Racer
    The traxxas bearings are not 1.00 here. Actually a pack of 5116 two bearings is 4.99 plus tax (Canada) and if your a basher it's not long beating the good out of bearings. We get snow which is water when it melt's and bearings don't like water. If I had 1.00 bearings at my dissposaL sure, but not all of us are rich and can afford 4 inners and 4 outers and have the patentice waiting for the parts to come in. I love my rc's so maintenance will prolong the life of it. To each there own.

RC Enthusiast
    Yes I live in Canada, I know what -40 degrees Celsius is like. But I've been thinking that it might have been the end of their life. I've had the RC since the end of November and I haven't changed one ball bearing at all.
    Stampede 2WD VXL