RC poster

First time motor replacement

I wanted to fly Alias yesterday for the first time with the camera mounted. Inserted the battery only to find the motors were acting strange. Two motors would run then three and switch back and forth. Never did get off the ground. I observed and it seemed the right front motor was not running at all.

I removed the camera and still the motors were acting strange so I decide to replace the right front. Followed the paper directions and a YouTube video and all went smoothly except mounting the gear wheel back onto the shaft. Had a difficult time getting the shaft all the way into the center part of the gear wheel. Finally decide to mount the prop and allow the bolt to pull the parts together. Worked OK.

Sure enough it was a bad motor and Alias is working just fine again. I suspect the other 3 motors will soon be failing too.

RC Enthusiast
    You don't need to remove the prop, shaft, or gear to replace a motor. Remove the bottom sub-frame and the lens for the motor to be replaced. Slid the motor out, disconnect it and replace.

RC Qualifier
    did you align the flat spot on the inside of the gear with the flat spot on the shaft? having to use the screw to draw it down sounds like it was really tight? I never had one that I had to do that with, hope I never do, lol .
    Fly fast, Fly hard, and forget about the outcome.

RC poster
    careful routing the wires they Will pinch in the arms as well, which will lead to a worn wire if the motor actually lasts long enough for the wire to wear , and dont be afraid to give those lenses a good squeeze you should hear a nice affirmative snap, otherwise you can get odd handling in stunts / high speed manouvers

the motors out of the box on aliases even up until last summer were junk, landed once on my alias out of the box, not hard (ive flown stuff before) replaced motors as a set and they took much more abuse, eventually they will wear though and you lose all climbing power, latrax = brushed motors = cheap

Many of us had a lot less trouble with the LaTrax motors than others. I'm sure we didn't get different motors than anybody else. Coreless motors are brushed and at this size have a definite lifespan. Most of the time avoiding stalling these motors will yield a long, happy life.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =