Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by MrSvahn View Post
    Yeah i know, i spent a week researching after seeing the 2wd Sleti build on URC. Though i realised it would prolly look weird since my slash is LCG :/
    Looks sweet to me.
    It will be awesome watching it throw some mud!!
    I kept staring at your rims wondering why they look so familiar, finally hit me they look a lot like Vanquish 8 hole shooters.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    Wow, that is a sick looking truck!
    Slash HCG & SW8 2200 kv Slash LCG Platinum

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    I kept staring at your rims wondering why they look so familiar, finally hit me they look a lot like Vanquish 8 hole shooters.
    Yeah I thought of vanquish and feel like an idiot of not getting then at an rc fair about two weeks ago, at a 1/3 of the price, hopfully there will be another fair, I will come prepare
    Live life to the fullest

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Looks sweet to me.
    It will be awesome watching it throw some mud!!
    Yeah his rig is looking mint!

Quote Originally Posted by michaelsjo View Post
    [Pics of a beautiful truck]
    Hey there fellow swede! Think you could snap some shots of the cage on the 2nd truck with LCG chassis?
    A bit worried that there's gonna be a big ugly gap between the chassis and cage if i do this to my LCG.

Thanks!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks everyone

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    Wow, great to see that the wrait cage fits on nicely, just curious hows strong is it
    Well, I suppose it's as strong as any other plastic cage. It might offer some protection, but if not anchored all over the chassis it's mainly cosmetic (as with my truck).

I must confess I'm thinking about going half cage half body by using a Deadbolt body instead. That way I'll have more "body" to cover the non-crawler chassis while still having cage elements on top for scale

Maybe you can get som close up pics on what u cut out on the cage?
    I basically cut (and screwed) away everything that was on the "inside" of the cage. I also cut away the lowest part of the sides to have it sit lower on the chassis. If you're using a LCG you might not have to do this last bit. Sorry for the poor photos.

Think you could snap some shots of the cage on the 2nd truck with LCG chassis? A bit worried that there's gonna be a big ugly gap between the chassis and cage if i do this to my LCG.
    Well, I don't want to remove my rear construction so you'll have to excuse the poor fit. But I think you could get the cage to sit even better on the LCG. It appears to hug the front of the chassis tub quite nicely and I don't think you'll have too much gap. It does clear the edges of the tub, but if you keep the lowest part (that I have removed) on the sides, it will rest ON the chassis. I guess you'd want to remove the only inner piece I still have on the cage - the rear bit - so you get it thoroughly down to the chassis. I hope I'm making sense. All in all you'd have a really cool, low stance crawler (albeit with less ground clearance) That said, I can't give you any guarantees that it'll fit the way you want it to...

It would also look awesome on my Summit. But without some heavier modding to the rear body posts, it won't happen... so it won't happen. I'll use a Yeti 1/10 cage for the Summit instead

Last edited by michaelsjo; 05-16-2015 at 07:03 PM.
    Summit, Stampede 4x4, Slash 4x4

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks buddy! I'll see if i can get my hands on a cheap Wraith cage. Yeah the Yeti cage looks awesome on a Summit. Cant remember where but i remember spotting a build thread with it two days ago. Maybe it was yours?

Edit: Did a quick search and found the thread i was referring to. Incase you haven't seen it
    http://www.rccrawler.com/forum/traxx...-summit-2.html
    Last edited by MrSvahn; 05-16-2015 at 11:19 PM.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks I've seen pictures of that build here too (https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...version-thread). This is where I got the idea in the first place (thanks again, NewUserName!). My Summit-initiative started even earlier than the Slash Trail Thingy, but since the Slash will be my son's trail truck I moved it up the priority ladder

RC Qualifier
    Tried out the new Deadbolt body - a much better fit and WAY easier mounting. I tried several versions (including regular Slash rear with Stampede front mounts. But since I want clips in the rear (difficult with ProLine caps inside the rear cage) and Prolines in the front I used Slash ProLine mounts in the front and the rather narrow Telluride mount in the rear. Looks great!

Now I'll have to figure out what colour to paintmy clear version in. Thinking about going matte black, with glossy black side stripes

Looks great... awesome job!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    I really like the look of that, great job.

I love it, a dead bolt body on a slash, now thats thinking outside the box.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    How do you have the spare tire on there, can you take a pic of the mount.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks everyone!

Sorry to disappoint you, BLachance75, but the tire is just resting there for the moment. I'll likely find some way of mounting it that won't be easily swappable (like hidden zip-ties) and then make it look scale by adding scale bungees or tow cables.

By the way, anyone know of a black lexan spray that is matte? I sprayed the inside of the body yesterday and it seems the color itself is quite glossy. I want to do a few coats on the outside for a matte finish.

Edit: Found a Tamiya flat lexan spray
    Last edited by michaelsjo; 06-04-2015 at 02:32 AM.

RC Qualifier
    Body done Better images will come when I get all accessories delivered and mounted

RC Qualifier
    I was waiting for a whole bunch of scale accessories to finish the truck, but once they arrived I found that they only messed up the visual appearance. I have yet to buy a motor/ESC (which likely will be a HW Crawler, low KV one) but the truck itself is done. This is how it turned out

Both the body and the cover are painted matte with Tamiya's matte clear spray just to make everything match. The spare wheel stays put by means of some scale bungees (this will be a looooow speed truck). I guess I would prefer NOT having the huge Slash rear bumper since it will likely get stuck on the trail, but it looks too good not to have it IMHO.

With everything in place it looks ready to go

The clearance is great and the definition is better than I expected. The GTR shocks (tested with two batteries to simulate operational weight) does a very fine job indeed. This is the most enjoyable project I've done so far

Just as with my Summit project, this truck will soon get a driver model head with some more detail.

That SCX10 Deadbolt cage/body looks perfect on there... awesome job!
    Can't wait till you get it completed and running!

RC Qualifier
    Thank Squeegie Painted a new driver's head yesterday

Stock head(s) and base coated new ones (borrowed some Warhammer sprays and paint from my son)

Looks a little better and not so much non-Traxxas

RC Qualifier
    A place where I have food, shelter, shower, water, bed and internet
    woooo! very nice build! be very pleased with yourself. at first looks on the finished car I would've thought that this was a custom crawler if I didnt know it was a slash
    Sl4sh, Arrma Talion, Stamp4de, Castle, MIP, RPM

RC Qualifier
    Thanks Jelle318

RC Qualifier
    Looks amazing!!!

RC Qualifier
    Awesome........ But - I should not have shown this to my son - of course he wants us to build one now

RC Qualifier
    Thanks guys! CRSlash, I'm using all my son's ideas and wishes as excuses for starting new projects. I need his initiatives to explain (to my better half) why spending all this money is an absolute must

RC Qualifier
    YAY received the HW system today

Congrats! Once you get it all up and running, give us your review... and video if possible!

RC Racer
    I never cease to be amazed at the versatility of this platform. Awesome build.
    Kyosho Pegasus
    Sl4sh x2
    Mini Sl4sh

RC Qualifier
    A place where I have food, shelter, shower, water, bed and internet
    seems like the packaging is made of quality.
    Sl4sh, Arrma Talion, Stamp4de, Castle, MIP, RPM

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Once you go with aluminum beadlock wheels that is all you want to run! I still love the way mine look. I have no more problems stripping wheel hex either

Hey El Sob what wheels are those?!
    I like those alot

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Looks great

Quote Originally Posted by 2Slashdad View Post
    Hey El Sob what wheels are those?!
    I like those alot
    http://www.rc-recycler.com/rc4wd-ins...ims-black.html

That is what the wheels are. They are rc4wd.com Insane short course wheels! I love them
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    http://www.rc-recycler.com/rc4wd-ins...ims-black.html

That is what the wheels are. They are rc4wd.com Insane short course wheels! I love them
    Thanks. They are pricey Lil buggers. The real beadlock, the aluminum. Probably worth it....

Definitely worth it! I have had several sets of tires on these wheels. Just buying a set of tires without rims saves around ten dollars. I have paid for them several times over. I didn't pay that much for mine. I got two, then got the other two like two years later from Hobbytown USA in Concord, California.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    Everything is installed and I'm running 11/54 gearing. I ran the truck indoors and immediately noticed that my "normal" slipper setting needs tightening (on heavy resistance, the motor easily starts slipping the clutch). I also noticed that my diffs are waaaayyy too loose even though I have the thickest fluid I could find. Can someone show me exactly what kind of "putty" I should get (maybe an eBay link?)? There's no Silly Putty i Sweden so I'm not sure what to get.

Other than that everything works great! The sensored system is super smooth and I can go insanely slow while maintaining great torque. I realise I would want an even smaller gearing, or an idle gear type of thing, to really be a crawler. But this is a trail truck, and if I pull the throttle I can at least get SOME speed. This will be great on the trail! So, all in all, a very tight (albeit not completely tight) slipper and silly putty in the diffs will make it perfect! Now to find a huge 2S battery More images will come.

Last edited by Squeegie; 10-08-2015 at 11:31 AM.

RC Turnbuckle Jr. mwe-maxxowner's Avatar
    I think traxxas makes like a 10,000 mah 2s battery. You'll pay for it though 😮.
    460, straightpipes, buried throttle, nuff said :D

Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    I think traxxas makes like a 10,000 mah 2s battery. You'll pay for it though ��.
    This one:
    https://traxxas.com/products/parts/b...mah-74v-2S-25C

For the price, I prefer to buy two spc or smc 5000 50c packs.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Squeegie View Post
    Thanks Squeegie! I was thinking about locking the diffs but I know the truck will be driven on surfaces with traction too - would I be risking axle breakdown or can the system take the beating with locked diffs? Is this only a problem when driving on extreme power?

Quote Originally Posted by mwe-maxxowner View Post
    I think traxxas makes like a 10,000 mah 2s battery. You'll pay for it though.
    Thanks! Yeah those are expensive indeed. But I do like the idea of smacking such a huge battery in there

Completely locked diffs is a terrible idea, IMO.

Unless it is a crawl only vehicle. Since it's for trail, and you want some speed now and then, I don't think you'd like it.

Handling will suffer, and parts will break more easily. I have my telluride diffs puttied, and there have been times a wheel binded, and I was able to drive out. Times I know I would have snapped a shaft or rounded a wheel hex otherwise. Or at least stripped a spur.

On the battery, you can always buy two cheaper 5000 mah 50c spc packs and use a parallel adapter. Then you have the option to use the two batteries separately if you need to.

RC Qualifier
    AAhhhhh parallel adapter, huh? I've seen it but never really given any though about what it's for. I like it! I think I'll go that way.

I agree about the diff locks. No good. I've ordered putty

When I built my telluride, I used El Sob's foam motor bearing protector mod to protect my diff bearings. At the outputs and inputs I placed a sliver of foam soaked in grease around the shaft entering or exiting the diff. I also used the moo slick to liberally coat EVERYTHING, especially anything metal. After every water outing I re coat with the moo slick. I also popped the seals of every bearing and packed them with marine grease.

Most of the point of building the truck was to have one vehicle I use for mud/water/wetness.

It had all worked better than I could imagine. When I disassembled the diffs they looked like they have stayed dry inside. I've only replaced two bearings. I also spray the bearings with my moo slick externally to help repel water. It has stayed smooth, easy to clean, and bearings are lasting well for a truck that gets submerged often.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast