Thread: Tires ?

RC Qualifier

Tires ?

Bet Y'all get tired of tire questions Huh.......

Donating the Mudslingers to the Summit they are too big and heavy for the Maxx. A host of problems have arisen since they were installed. So now I'm on the hunt again for some decent tires that can withstand the punishment that they will endure from my driving style. The Talons that I really like, just get destroyed by ripping the tire along the circumference of the bead.

So looking at a couple of options does anybody have any good/bad reviews on these? Durability/Traction issues? or any better suggestions. This truck runs on asphalt, dirt, grass, dirt track, gravel road about equal amounts. Want to stay as close to stock size 5.75x3.5 and weight as possible, Also plan on mounting these on aluminum beadlock 3.8 rims.

1. DuraTrax Lockup 3.8

2. DuraTrax Six Pack MT

3. DuraTrax Bandito..... all the DuraTrax are slightly larger 6.5x4.1 and what is a sport compound? is it medium, soft, or what?

4. Proline Badlands..... As close to stock diameter that I've found 5.85x2.72 which I kinda like for gearing reasons
    Last edited by mudbug85603; 05-10-2015 at 07:00 PM.
    If it ain't broke, don't fix it

RC Champion
    For a smaller size tire i like the revo response tires with the white dish wheels.
    Man i need more than 50 characters.

trenchers will perform good on any surface, mashers too.

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by mudbug85603 View Post
    Bet Y'all get tired of tire questions Huh.......

Donating the Mudslingers to the Summit they are too big and heavy for the Maxx. A host of problems have arisen since they were installed. So now I'm on the hunt again for some decent tires that can withstand the punishment that they will endure from my driving style. The Talons that I really like, just get destroyed by ripping the tire along the circumference of the bead.
    I am still trying to decide on a power system and wheels for my FLM/RPM build. I was leaning towards Mudslingers on beadlocks. What problems have arisen from running the Mudslingers on your EMaxx? Also, what aluminum beadlocks are you using, and how do you like them?
    Proud member of the red card club.

Beadlocs are mostly for crawlers the bruahless power will make the tires to come off from the rim, also mudsgers are very tall they will create a huge strain on the driveline.

RC Competitor
    I figured that the Mudslingers would be hard on the drivetrain, but I had hoped that the 1/8 diffs and MIP CVDs would handle it. As for the beadlocks, I was hoping that the aluminum beadlocks would allow the beads to be tightened down enough to hold even with brushless power.
    Proud member of the red card club.

RC Qualifier
    Yah I agree, with the weight of the Mudslingers, and the weight of the beadlocks.....your adding a lot rotational mass that will create a lot of stress for the drive line. Beadlocks ate heavy over traditional wheels.

RC Qualifier
    I absoultly lovemy badlands they are great tires and I have run them on countless cars on 6s

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy42 View Post
    I am still trying to decide on a power system and wheels for my FLM/RPM build. I was leaning towards Mudslingers on beadlocks. What problems have arisen from running the Mudslingers on your EMaxx? Also, what aluminum beadlocks are you using, and how do you like them?
    The mudslingers are fantastic tires for the Summit, for the Maxx I wouldn't suggest them they are to large and heavy.
    With the extra weight and size, the problems that been encountered so far are bowed both Traxxas steel axle shafts in the rear. The rod ends keep popping off the tie rods front and rear replaced them with new several times, even tried JB Weld in the ends and CA glue it don't work. If I change over to aluminum ends then something else will go. Burned up one stock clutch on brushless power and the second is slipping just as bad. That is getting changed out to a HR Double Up with one of three style pads that are on order. 1/8" diffs may handle the strain but will the tranny? Something has got to go sooner or later. Also had to change out the gearing from 24/68 to 20/72. That's a lot of rotational force to power up. With the proper driving techniques they would likely be fine. That's not my style LoL!!!!! IMHO it would be wise to find a good tire very close to stock diameter.

For the rims RC4WD Twister 4.0 40 Series 3.8" Internal Beadlock. I like them but haven't really had them on the truck that long maybe 6 or 7 runs. That being said all the carnage listed above has happened in that short time. The reason I decided to go with aluminum rims is...... The hex's in the plastic rims kept stripping out running twin KD 700's and Traxxas Talon tires.
    So now that it's bruhless yes, I will continue to run these rims until either they cause issues or something better is found.

https://store.rc4wd.com/Twister-40-4...ls_p_1440.html

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Apexracing View Post
    For a smaller size tire i like the revo response tires with the white dish wheels.
    I was looking at those too. Do the response have a thicker sidewall or a stiffer compound than the Talons? Reason I ask is, Have destroyed a few sets of Talons from tearing the bead right off the tire.

The duratrax banditos for the erevo and emaxx or 3.8 are infact huge, I have seen the bandito at the lhs and very tempted. I got the 1/8 buggy lock ups on my slash 4X4 MT and very impressed on their performace, no ballooning at all on 3s geared 18/54 on that rig. So I can imagine them on these bigger rigs too....I am in between the bandito and the lock up, as a basher I guess I may settle for lock ups or the six pack.

I also managed to strip the wheel hubs of my talons, but that is becasue I forgot to tie them down properly before a run...luckily I have spares but got to boil my tyres to remove them and put them on another pair of wheels

Hvae a look at AKA tyres too, interesting ranges , mostly for the truggys but will work nicely
    Live life to the fullest

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by grumpy42 View Post
    I figured that the Mudslingers would be hard on the drivetrain, but I had hoped that the 1/8 diffs and MIP CVDs would handle it. As for the beadlocks, I was hoping that the aluminum beadlocks would allow the beads to be tightened down enough to hold even with brushless power.
    Could always run a bead of glue on the side that doesn't have the beadlock..... Might help, Maybe

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    The duratrax banditos for the erevo and emaxx or 3.8 are infact huge,

I also managed to strip the wheel hubs of my talons, but that is becasue I forgot to tie them down properly before a run...
    Hvae a look at AKA tyres too, interesting ranges , mostly for the truggys but will work nicely
    Yeah kinda like the tread pattern on the Bandito but yes, the DuraTrax tires are a bit big not as big as the Mudslingers about a full 3/4" shorter.

The first time I stripped a hex one was a little loose but the 5 more that went after that weren't

No haven't looked at AKA tires yet but I will Thanks