RC poster

Angry (problem) trx 3.3 engine not working properly

So the other day i was using my revo 3.3 and i had noticed it would cut out if it would sit for 1-2 sec. I tried to start it and when i used the ez start. The car would move even before the car was started. (but only when the ez start is trying to start the engine) i took the motor out and the flywheel would not move easily. It would get over a really tight area then get loose and spin but then again at a certain point would get really really tight. I took out my glow plug and the flywheel would move normally but with a little bit of hesitation but not enough to move the car. It seems to be when the glow plug is in it will get tight. When i did some multi tasking with the motor. I had to start it in the air pull the gas and the gas would have to be pulled all the way or other wise when it hit the ground it would cut off. I tried the stuck engine thing but it seems to be a constant stuck engine or somthing.

The "tight" area when rolling the engine over is the pinch, it's what give your engine compression and is normal.

The wheels spinning when trying to start it is not, you most likely have a broken clutch spring or shoe, pull the clutch bell off and see which it is.
    Look out for the tree/crunch!

LiPo? Naw NITRO!!

Welcome to the forum and this great hobby of ours.

I am still learning the ropes just like you. Lately I cannot start mine off but found a bunch of things that needed fixing and hopefully it resolved my issue.

Anyway is it the clutch bell that you are talking about, that is suppose to move freely when you spin it without any resistance. Check that may be the clutch pad and springs are dammaged so it does not engage when your engine starts and flywheel spins.

The flywheel turns always , I think, and harder when the piston is up as it compresses, when you turn by hand , other wise it should be smooth unless your piston sleeves are damaged.

My engine stalls after I have adjusted the hsn and lsn, even when they are in factory setting, leads me to beleive maybe my glow plug is worn down as the truck does not hold the idle at all. A few days before that and at the track when I stripped my gear, all was working fine, great sound, nice smoke and excellent idle.
    Last edited by Jezza; 05-11-2015 at 09:12 AM.
    Live life to the fullest

RC poster
    But the problem is to i cant move the car backwards. It locks up.

Quote Originally Posted by manof99 View Post
    That is normal, if you have a forward only transmission, and of you have a two way transmission you have to pull the lever out first to engage reverse.
    Live life to the fullest

RC poster
    The clutch bell i had noticed the other day when i pulled it apart, the clutch bell if i turn it left or right it would move freely as if it wasnt connected to anything and then catch.

As mentioned, sounds like a clutch issue. If you have a forward-only transmission, the one-way bearing inside will allow the truck to freewheel as it is pushed forward but if you push it backward it will engage the shaft causing the rest of the gearbox as well as the spur gear and clutch bell. If it will not roll backwards the broken clutch is engaging causing resistance. If the truck will start only when the tires are off the ground and spin when trying to start, the clutch is broken. If you are driving around and come to a stop and the engine stalls, the clutch is broken.
    The Super Derecho

RC poster
    Do ylu think it is the clutch shoes or the clutch bell?

It could be the spring, or a bearing in the gear/bell. I had a bearing go out, in the bell, and cause the same issue. But it could be a weak or broken spring, or a shoe issue.
    chop it up ... stitch it up ...It's ALIVE !!!

Do ylu think it is the clutch shoes or the clutch bell?
    Now that we may have narrowed down the location, best to remove the engine and take a look and determine which parts you need to purchase.
    The Super Derecho