RC Competitor

Reviews and thoughts on tekno m6 rear driveshafts.

Hey guys I'm breaking rear driveshafts on the stampede really fast! (Fronts are fine) so I wanted to get some more durable ones! I can't afford MIPS! So don't suggest them. I was wondering what are your guys thought the the kit for the rear of the stampede? Not just the driveshafts but the hub carriers too!

RC Competitor
    Tekno driveshafts are great. I have them on my pede 4x4

RC Qualifier
    If you can't afford mips, then you can't afford the Teknos. Both are similarly priced.

The MIP X Hvy Duties are bullet proof. But they are super heavy.

The Teknos are almost as tough, but they are much lighter. If you go Tekno, get the aluminum hexes for them.

RC Champion
    I run Tekno F&R on all 3 of my trucks and one on 3S. I love em not 1 complaint.
    just a basher

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    I agree with goodie1977. I have two sets of Teknos. Both trucks run on 3s. Yep, you have to use their hexes too but that's okay because you need aluminum hexes anyways. I love my Teknos. The MIPs are great but they are just to stinkin' heavy in my opinion. Go Tekno.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Qualifier
    The price is virtually the same on MIP's and Tekno's because you will have to get aluminium hexes for the Tekno's (the plastic ones in the kit are no good). MIP include steel hexes in their kit.

Personally, I prefer MIP CVD's on a Stampede 4x4 because they are very heavy. They make the Stampede more "planted" and prevents traction rolling, especially if you have them both front and rear.

I have Tekno M6's on my Slash 4x4, and they are also great. I especially like the ingenious simple design and the bigger bearings. But if you already have bought the Traxxas aluminium rear hub carriers (#1952X) and the front steering blocks (#6837X), you can't use them with Tekno CVD's. You can, however, use the Traxxas alu caster blocks (#6832X) and the XO-1 alu steering blocks (#6439) together with Tekno. On the rear you are stuck with the Tekno plastic hub carriers, which isn't a bad thing - they are very tough.

RC Qualifier
    I have MIPs and Tenkos. I prefer the Tenkos. Like the design and especially like the 17mm adapters better then the MIPs ones but that's just my preference. I started with the MIP's but on a second build decided to go with the Tenkos and I'm glad I did.

RC Enthusiast
    I have Tekno's in front and rear. Reason I bought those over MIP's is the lighter style. I don't understand why someone would wan't to add weight to their drivetrain and into spinning parts. But I agree that the MIP's seem to be tougher.

RC Competitor
    Ok good. I ordered them

Quote Originally Posted by Infinite10rc View Post
    Ok good. I ordered them
    Calling Mr. Ambiguity. Mr. Equivocation B. Ambiguity please contact the hotel operator.

Got Tekno or MIP? I'm thinkin' Tekno.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Competitor
    Haha what? Lol

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinite10rc View Post
    Haha what? Lol
    LOL...nice Jvogel.

Ambiguous: adjective
    1. open to or having several possible meanings or interpretations; equivocal: an ambiguous answer.
    2. Linguistics. (of an expression) exhibiting constructional homonymity; having two or more structural descriptions, as the sequence Flying planes can be dangerous.
    3. of doubtful or uncertain nature; difficult to comprehend, distinguish, or classify: a rock of ambiguous character.
    4. lacking clearness or definiteness; obscure; indistinct: an ambiguous shape; an ambiguous future.

So, I think he's asking if you got MIP's or Tenkos . He thinks Tenkos, and the jury says?

I think one thing that wasn't mentioned in the comparison was maintenance. My Mip's have been maintenance free for four years. I know for a fact that Tekno do require maintenance. I have friends who run them and about every six months there are certain parts that they have to replace due to them being worn out.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I think one thing that wasn't mentioned in the comparison was maintenance. I know for a fact that Tekno do require maintenance. I have friends who run them and about every six months there are certain parts that they have to replace due to them being worn out.
    Hm, first I'm hearing of this but I'm relatively new to RC. What parts exactly?

I think one thing that wasn't mentioned in the comparison was maintenance. My Mip's have been maintenance free for four years. I know for a fact that Tekno do require maintenance. I have friends who run them and about every six months there are certain parts that they have to replace due to them being worn out.
    what parts are those? i havnt done anything anything with mine, they are pretty rusty right now, but thats cuz i drive at the beach a few weeks ago. everthing works fine, but ive only had mine for a year. ive had to replaced bearings, but thats not tekno

I'm coming in on a year on my Tekno sets. Running hard on 3s, jumping and wheelies like a fool and nothing has gone south on the Teknos. The Lexan however has not fared as well.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Competitor
    I love my Teknos (front and rear) on my Stampede 4x4. As Nenolanjones stated, extra rotating mass in your driveline is not at all good for acceleration.....so that is why I went with Tekno when deciding.

I have had to replace the pins and barrels in the CV joint of my M6 axles a couple of times. But they cost very little, and only take a few minutes to replace. I ordered two sets (total of 4 total rebuilds) when I broke the first pin, just so that I'd have plenty of extras on hand for the future. So far I've replaced two pins and barrels over the last year or more. For the performance difference of the Teknos, I think that is worth it.

Zephus, thank you for the great info. I'll order a few pin/barrel sets so I'll be ready for the eventual repair.
    Obstacle Magnet

Quote Originally Posted by Zephus View Post
    I love my Teknos (front and rear) on my Stampede 4x4. As Nenolanjones stated, extra rotating mass in your driveline is not at all good for acceleration.....so that is why I went with Tekno when deciding.

I have had to replace the pins and barrels in the CV joint of my M6 axles a couple of times. But they cost very little, and only take a few minutes to replace. I ordered two sets (total of 4 total rebuilds) when I broke the first pin, just so that I'd have plenty of extras on hand for the future. So far I've replaced two pins and barrels over the last year or more. For the performance difference of the Teknos, I think that is worth it.
    yeah i was just replacing my bearings and the pin broke in half. but im sure it had something to do with running in thru salt water

RC Qualifier
    anyone have those part numbers? Might be good to have an extra set on hand.

RC Qualifier
    Thanks.

Out of curiosity of those of you who replaced these parts, was it after a catastrophic failure or upon inspection during maintenance?

RC Competitor
    I have only replaced them when they show themselves as broke. You can tell because you will lose power to the end of the vehicle where a pin has broken (either front or rear). First make sure it isn't a stripped wheel hex, then check the CV joint pins. Depending on how it broke, and how long you drove it afterwards, the broken pin can also damage the barrel. The replacements come as pairs (pin and barrel), so when I break a pin I just replace the barrel too for good measure, and keep the old barrel if it is still good in case I might want it in the future.

(Just to point it out, I provided a link to the parts in my first reply. Links on here that are imbedded into the text appear as bold, and you can click on them. Just so you know for future reference).

i was replacing a bearing and had the shaft off the vehicle and saw the pin was broken

MIP X-Duty CVDs are very strong. I use them for about two years now and ran into small issues. They are very hard to remove from the out drives after a couple of runs because the metal of the out drives deforms a little under the pressure of the set screws. I was always able to remove them but it was a pain in the a... every time and I mostly destroyed the bearings and diff cup while removing them with needle nose pliers and screw driver.

Second issue: The MIPs tent to wobble a little but not noticable while driving.

But: They are almost indestructable!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Zephus View Post

I applaud you for your honesty. I have also seen my friend have to replace the dog bones. He was running 3s and they started to bow. Looked close to a "U" shape.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Enthusiast
    I started using HPI Z264 pins to rebuild my Tekno axles when they start showing wear. The Traxxas wheel hex pins work in a pinch but are way more rounded on the end. They are all the same length but the Tekno pins are almost flat on the ends and the HPI are somewhat between the Traxxas and the Tekno pins. I looked for a cheaper alternative to the rebuild kit because the barrels don't seem to wear as fast as the pins and $7 seems like a lot to spend on two pins when the barrels are not needed.

Here are the pins compared to each other. Tekno on the left, Traxxas in the middle and the HPI Z264 pins on the right. You can also see the wear areas on the Tekno ones.

[IMG][/IMG]

All in all I found the axles a great upgrade to my Stampede 4x4 and haven't had any issues. I'm still on the original rear bearing carriers that came with the kit. The front knuckles have been replaced due to some crashes but have held up better than I would have ever expected for plastic parts. It may just be coincidence but I haven't broken one since I've upgraded to aluminum caster blocks.
    Last edited by Trapper; 05-27-2015 at 09:40 AM.

RC poster
    Tekno drive shafts are decent, but they still break. The issue I have is there is absolutely no way to get replacement parts. One of the bearings snapped in half on my rear, Tekno support told me it would be cheaper to buy a new one then sending it back, and they do not warranty their stuff, and have a very poor supply in Canada.
    I'm taking them off and never using them again.

Quote Originally Posted by EricHome View Post
    Tekno drive shafts are decent, but they still break. The issue I have is there is absolutely no way to get replacement parts. One of the bearings snapped in half on my rear, Tekno support told me it would be cheaper to buy a new one then sending it back, and they do not warranty their stuff, and have a very poor supply in Canada.
    I'm taking them off and never using them again.
    Am I understanding this right? You stopped using the Tekno axles because you broke a bearing and Tekno won't send you a new one? Or is it because you can not find a new bearing to buy?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Iíve broken a couple. My own fault. Everything has a breaking point. This topic was also revived from 2015

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk