Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RC Champion

RCM Vmaxx Chassis Build

So I took the leap and decided to replace my almost new FLM LCG chassis with the RCM vmaxx chassis. I really wanted to be able to do the 1/8 center diff. I was going to try and adapt the RCM universal CD mount to the FLM chassis but decided I wanted the end result to be more 'finished'.

So here is what I started with:

and the vmaxx chassis with the CD mounted up. I went back and forth as to which way to place the motor and ultimate decided I wanted the motor placed forward to help counteract wheelies.

I swapped over my existing FLM hybrid bulks and suspension assemblies. Those are MBX6T rear shocks on all four corners.

mostly complete here. I had to do a little bit of modification to the center plate because I couldn't get the dog bones to work. I ended up with the FLM rear dog bog that came with the LCG chassis and an ofna hyper 9 front dog bone. I had to move the plate back about 1/3 inch on the frame rails to get everything lines up.

the underside:

Still have to figure out the radio box mounting and I also have to extent the motor leads. I will post more as I get further along. Still not sure how the 2200kv motor will work with the reduced gearing. I am running an 11t pinion and 46t center diff. The diffs are 3.307. I am not sure how the motor will work.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Champion
    OK - I had an extra erevo radio box and mounted it to the rear section of the chassis plate using some existing holes.

Now I just need some servo extension wires and longer motor leads.

Here's a closeup of the CD mount:

Last edited by rock-rod; 05-15-2015 at 06:23 PM.
    I have an RC problem...

Looking good!
    My RC Cycle:
    Build it, Drive it, Brake it.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Dang that chassis is pretty sweet.
    We are all one race. The human race.

RC Qualifier
    I know this is off topic, but what shocks are you running?

RC Champion
    Mugen mbx6t truggy rear shocks at all four corners with the Mugen buggy shock stand offs.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Qualifier
    I'm liking it brother looks really good. Did u already have the cd mount? I've been looking for one but can't find one anywhere. I've been wanting to also try the mbx6t shocks but wasn't sure of length. Is 4 vs the stock 8 doing a good job?

Lookin' sweat! Like the chassis!

RC Champion
    I had to put stiffer springs on the shocks but from a dampening standpoint they are awesome. The truck absorbes rough surfaces like nothing.

I bought the CD mount a few weeks back from RCM. Apparently he is out stock on the mounts and chassis now. Guess I got lucky. I am sure he will get them back in stock soon. I will be at the LHS tomorrow so I plan on getting the bullet connectors and servo extension leads then. Maybe then I can get this truck finished.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Qualifier
    How much was that cd mount? And what cd did u install in it?

RC Champion
    It was $90 and the center diff is from an ofna hyper 7 TQ.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Champion
    Finally was able to get to the track today and put the new chassis and CD to the test. Wow! It's a completely different truck and the handling is superb. I brought my Mugen nitro mbx6t (powered by an OS VZB 21 world engine) and my nitro revo (OS TM powered) for some comparison running. I ran the emaxx first on 4s and was really impressed. I ran the revo next and it seemed to be all over the place and very hard to control. I broke it about 1/3 way through the tank and didn't have the parts to fix it so it was done for the day. Finally I ran the truggy and was very surprised to find that while the truggy was of course faster around the track, it was not by much. The 1/8 scale shocks on the emaxx defintely allowed it to absorb the extreme roughness of the track just like the truggy. Big air was no problem and the emaxx would fly through the air with a very level stance and minimal correction needed to level it off. The CD I helps a ton because you can hammer down and the front end will barely lift off the ground.

Love the chassis. Absolutely love it.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Qualifier
    Great news!! Now I'm definitely gonna get a vmaxx chassis. Do the shocks on the enaxx allow the skids to bottom out before the shocks?

RC Qualifier
    Can I ask. Why are the front shocks behind the front mount? I'm about to move to a four shock setup.

Quote Originally Posted by o0wiz0o View Post
    Can I ask. Why are the front shocks behind the front mount? I'm about to move to a four shock setup.
    Maybe because his front body post will hit the shock. If he can turn the front tower around, he could have the shocks in front of the tower. But then his body holes might not line up.
    My RC Cycle:

RC Qualifier
    So there is no benefit really and I can put them on the front as norm? Think they look better on the front but if the suspension geometry was better I would have put them on the rear. Thanks folks.

I think they look better at the front too. Then the turnbuckles have plenty of room to move left to right, without hitting the screw for the shocks rod end.
    My RC Cycle:

RC Champion
    It is purely a 'how it fits' thing. I don't have any turnbuckle issues but I also agree that the shocks would look better mounted on the front.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Qualifier
    Can I ask what shock/springs you are using rock-rod?

RC Qualifier
    It's on the first page, o0wiz0o

RC Racer
    o0wiz0o, these are the shocks.

Quote Originally Posted by rock-rod View Post
    Those are MBX6T rear shocks on all four corners.

RC Qualifier
    Doh. Thanks folks.

RC Champion
    LOL. now you guys made me all self-conscious about the front shock mounting. I am going to have to figure out how to flip them to the front of the towers.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Qualifier
    Sorry! .......

RC Champion
    Quick update. Been running the vmaxx for a while now with no real issues to speak of.

I added a wing mount from a Mugen MBX5. It's a near fit for the FLM v2 shock towers.

I also swapped the 11t pinion for a 14t so that I can get a little more top end.

This truck drives like a dream and doesn't have the usual 'maxx' sloppy handling. Out of all my trucks, the truggy is the best handler and the vmaxx is right behind it. The truggy shocks are awesome and this truck can swallow the largest bumps with out getting out of shape and huge jumps are nothing.

I need to figure a better body solution. The stock traxxas body doesn't last and I really don't like the truck bodies. Ideally a truggy body would appeal the most.
    Last edited by rock-rod; 09-19-2015 at 09:31 AM.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Qualifier
    Im leaning more and more towards this new chassis eveyday. Might be something to try.....you running the 1717?

RC Champion
    Running the stock 2200kv motor on 4s. I don't think the CD mount will accept the larger 1717 motor.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Racer
    directly from Rc-Monster home page "allowing 540, 550 and even the 1717 motors to be mounted directly"

RC Champion
    Now that I think about it the 1717 could be mounted simply by twisting the motor over so that the screws are canted over.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Qualifier
    Get a proline bulldog body, and how well does that mugen wing mount fit on the film towers?

RC Champion
    The wing mount fits great. Just have to be sure it's for an mbx5. The mbx6/7 won't fit.
    I have an RC problem...

It is good to hear how the chassis is holding up. Wonder how it will hold up with the 1717 motor, even though it was designed to do so.
    Last edited by maximum; 09-20-2015 at 05:08 PM.

RC Champion
    I imagine just fine. I ran it today on 6s and no issues. My boys and I found a huge sand pile and went crazy.
    I have an RC problem...

That's good to hear! Thinking about the chassis for one of my trucks. Thanks Rock-Rod

RC Champion
    Well I did it. I just ordered a 1717 motor and some pinions. I predict massive diff carnage in the not to distant future. Plan is to run a 20t pinion and a pair of 3s batteries. I will dial up the punch control.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Racer
    This will be followed with interest, has an FLM maxx with Traxxas 1717 Motor in. Need to get in a center diff so it must be a V-Maxx chassis with RCM Diff/Motor Mount.
    Seeing that you turn the motor forward, Do you have to have it so, or you can turn it backwards if you want?

RC Champion
    You can turnip either way but it will dictate where the esc goes and also weight balance.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Champion
    The 1717 fits the RCM cd mount perfectly. Only had to swap over to 4mm screws. the smallest pinion that will fit is an 18t. Anything smaller and the motor case hits the front drive cup. I did a quick test run on the street on 6s batteries and the torque improvement is huge. I can easily jump up to a 20 or 21t pinion. More to come.

I have an RC problem...

RC Champion
    just got these in from KMaxx

1/8 scale diff housings that can handle CEN, Losi, Ofna, Vorza, ect. These replace the stock housings and you keep your existing bulk heads. I am ditching the FLM hybrids and going with these housings and GA bulk and keeping the FLM towers. More to follow in the next few weeks once some other parts come in and I get back from fall vacation.
    I have an RC problem...

RC Qualifier
    That is such a genius idea! What are those blocks in the second packet down for? And how much did they set you back?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast