Nitro Sport is not waterproof

My loving boys left the Sport out overnight and a nasty rainstorm blew in. Filled EVERY part with water. Let her dry out and somehow all the servos are still operational. Now for the fun part of total teardown. I love my sons. I love my sons. I love my sons.

RC Qualifier
    Just keep telling yourself that, you'll eventually believe it! That's the great part about traxxas, even when they say they aren't waterproof, they probably are more waterproof than other brands. Oh well. At least the damage wasn't excessive
    If a RC never breaks, your doing it wrong

RC Enthusiast
    I've lucked out when it's comes to water and electronics. My son and I kind of sunk her in a deep pond and all I did was clear the old fuel out and restart it right away. The receiver was water logged so we let it dry a couple of days and it still works!

I think the body being on is what kept a majority of the car safe. I let it dry out and was really relieved that the servos worked ok and all batteries were dry (including tx since it was out as well). I pulled air cleaner and glow plug, flipped it over and churned it a few times with the ez-start to clear the water inside the engine. I then blasted it with a special lubricant that I use as after-run and haven't touched it since. Going on vacation and think if I tear down now it will be tougher to put it all back together after a week on the beaches. My big concern is rust in the motor/carb. But this lubricant is pretty amazing. It was put on some bare pipe in ND and 8 weeks later not a spot of rust. I suppose this'll put the snake oil to the test. Still a major bummer, though.

RC Enthusiast
    I would also pull off he ez start and at least spray lube on the bearing inside the clutch bell or just replace it they only cost a couple of dollars.

RC Champion
    i would take it away from them for awhile till they learn to be a little responsible with their toys. thats MHO, hobby grade RC's arnt your toy that you just leave in the yard and forget about. they are an investment and a sometimes a lifestyle. negligence is very costly in this hobby.
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

I would agree, had they not felt absolutely horrible. The 10 yo grounded himself for a week and the 15 yo is all over dishes, trash, anything without being asked. From here fwd they'll leave collateral to play with the Sport.

RC Champion
    Woah that would make me smile as a parent lol... my wallet not so much

But they WON'T be touching the new toy! Ha!

RC Champion
    Whatd you get?

Revo. I think it's an old 2.5 with a 3.3 upgrade. I'll post pics and questions once I get home from vacation. Couldn't believe the size of it! Thought we were gonna have to leave one of the boys behind just to make room for it. Hehe

RC Champion
    Ahaha post pix when you can. Any upgrades or is it stock?

So I'm an idiot, still a noob. No 2.5 Revo's. I thought that because they obviously replaced the engine at some point with a new 3.3. Not being familiar with them, it's hard to say if there's upgrades. Only piece that sticks out to my eye would be the front bumper (aluminum?). I've managed to put some of the pics on photo bucket but I'll finish up this afternoon when I get home. Only 6 more hours to go. The return trip from CA back to WY seems much longer than the trip there. Probably because on the way there I just bonzai'd the 18 hours straight through.

RC Champion
    only bad thing with alloy bumpers, is bumpers are made to flex and take the blunt of the impact. when they are alloy all that force will transfer through the bumper and into another part and is usualy the more expensive that will break insted.

I hear ya. I plan on changing it out pronto. Not only the fact that it's so rigid...but the right front tire touches/rubs when the wheels are turned all the way in. No bueno! Pics are up on my "new/used" thread in the Revo section.

Finally tore down the Sport this weekend. Everything was great! Aside from a little cancer on half the screwheads and a spot here and there, all is good. Took a wire brush to 'em and we're back in business.

RC poster
    Waterproof doesn't mean water resistant. Good luck

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by asiac6875 View Post
    Waterproof doesn't mean water resistant. Good luck
    .... i think you mean... water resistant doesnt mean water proof.... water proof is better than water resistant.... its the radio/servos/engine that are not water friendly... everything else u can toss into the water and not have to worry...