Thread: Diff question

RC poster

Diff question

I seen the thread about upgrading the diffs with rc18 parts. My question though as seening the mip parts are no longer available will stock rc18 diffs work? Has traxas come up with a fix yet. I just got a SST Snapon edition today and wondering what to do about these diffs.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by bhilly82 View Post
    I seen the thread about upgrading the diffs with rc18 parts. My question though as seening the mip parts are no longer available will stock rc18 diffs work? Has traxas come up with a fix yet. I just got a SST Snapon edition today and wondering what to do about these diffs.
    Welcome,
    I don't have a SST, but I do have a Teton. Hopefully I can help...they're basically the same!
    I have read about a few guys using the stock RC18 diffs. They will fit, I'm just not sure of the durability of the plastic outdrives. I've also seen builds with the stock plastic main gear and pinion paired with the steel outdrives. Those guys seem to swear by the plastic gears for the most part.
    No, Traxxas has not came up with a repair for this issue yet as far as I know. Probably explains why the RC18 hop-up parts are becoming hard to find. The MIP and 3racing steel outdrives have disappeared, but I have found these in the meantime....

A little expensive...
    http://eracingpro.com/shop/133-titan...ted-rc18t.html

Not so heavy a hit to the wallet here....but they're alloy aluminum....
    http://eracingpro.com/shop/117-alloy...c18t-blue.html

So once you make a choice there you will have to get a new 35tooth main gear and a 14tooth pinion.
    I have GPM part #SAR035T14T in my setup and they also have seemed to be very scarce on the market.
    You could get Team Associated part #ASC2102 until some metal gear options become available. Your also going to need a rebuild kit for each diff you plan on building.... #ASC21115 and at this point you might as well get some carbide balls for them as well... #ASC21116.

Check out this blog...super helpful. I didn't use all the different compounds like him. Just some black grease for the thrust bearing and some team Associated Stealth Lube on the main gear. I also used a small bit of blue thread locker on the bolt threads.

https://projectrcblog.wordpress.com/...-differential/
    Last edited by walker_77; 06-07-2015 at 07:20 AM. Reason: Editing of some coffee induced ramblings...

RC poster
    you could also try the rally spool upgrade that traxxas offers it fits in the sst trucks as well, and post up a pic of that snap on truck i got one too and i love it!

RC poster
    Thanks for the replies. I have the stock rc18 diffs from back when I had one. So I'll just build it and throw it in when I have a problem with the stock one. With the rc18 never had much of a problem with the plastic out drive.