Acetone tire removal.

I've boiled and baked, the acetone method for me it the absolute best.
    I take a cool whip container and two 4" pieces of a plastic coat hanger to put in the bottom so the tire doesn't hit the container bottom.
    I put just enough acetone in the container to hit the rim where the tire meets it and about 3/8"over the bead so the acetone can penetrate.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I let it sit covered about 15 minutes , remove and start to work the tire slowly off the rim.
    This will take a few times and once the bead is broken gets quicker.
    Do this for both sides, it took me about three to four times for a clean removal.
    The tire below wasn't to be reused so it shows a couple places where the bead was damaged but even it could be reused if desired.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I remove the foam and let it dry, this doesn't take long for acetone, the foam remains fine but I would not suggest soaking it completely for long periods.
    Lastly I soak each side of the rim for 15 to 20 minutes and any glue residue wipes right off.
    The mark on the left upper side of the rim is from hitting a curb.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    While this may take as long as an hour per tire for an effortless removal and cause no damage to the tire, it took me less then a half hour per tire.
    If the old tires are junk and you plan to toss them anyway it could be done in much less time.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 06-06-2015 at 10:54 PM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Racer
    Nice write up. I like it.

Hey billy-bones, just curious how is the smell like.
    I have boiled and baked, but had second thoughts on the latter, just curious as I will like to go that way if the odour is not too overwhelming , especially for other family membres...hehe, i have no garage, may be I will leave them soking on the balcony.
    Live life to the fullest

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    Hey billy-bones, just curious how is the smell like.
    I have boiled and baked, but had second thoughts on the latter, just curious as I will like to go that way if the odour is not too overwhelming , especially for other family membres...hehe, i have no garage, may be I will leave them soking on the balcony.
    At first it smells ok but once you start having an out of body experance you might want to open a window and get a fan sucking the fumes out.
    Seriously they can get bad if you dont cover your container quickly.
    Thing is the stuff evaporates so quick this is a practice you want to get into anyway.
    If have have a outdoor space by all means make use of it, acetone is a pretty strong odor, most nail polish removers used to be or contain large percentages of acetone but some of the newer stuff doesn't.
    I snuck one of the wife's bottles for my initial attempt and it was 80% acetone, I went and spent $11 on a gallon of 100%.
    Should last a long time since I use bead locks whenever possible.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I know... Old thread is old, but why start a new one? LOL

Question for you Billy. Since my tires are wasted and I'll be throwing them out. Do you think this would work quicker/better if I cut most of the tire off, just leaving the bead part on the wheels? My thinking is that the acetone will be soaking the bead from both sides.

Quote Originally Posted by matts175 View Post
    I know... Old thread is old, but why start a new one? LOL

Question for you Billy. Since my tires are wasted and I'll be throwing them out. Do you think this would work quicker/better if I cut most of the tire off, just leaving the bead part on the wheels? My thinking is that the acetone will be soaking the bead from both sides.
    Matt I just take a cool whip container and a couple pieces of plastic coat hanger to keep the tire from hitting the bottom.
    Now put about half an inch or just enough acetone to cover the bead and let it sit for about 3 minutes with the lid on.
    Take the tire out and by then it will already be coming of the rim, with a little help from you of course.
    Not like you'll take it out and it will just fall off.
    At this point simple quick dips (the stuff evaporates quick) here and there and you'll have the tire off in no time.

I've seen your G Locs, they are just about to come into there own, no joke, even the boys that race like them about bald.
    I would keep them bad boys for a latter time.

I'm to the point with this method I can get a tire off and re-glued in less then 20 minutes, waiting for the acetone to evaporate from the foam holds me back.

Just so you dont get discouraged the first couple took a lot longer, once you get a handle on how long you have to work with it before you re dip and such and the process gets quicker.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Ok. Thank you Billy.

RC Qualifier
    I have been using acetone for a while with good results. If you use a 5 gallon bucket you can soak all 4 wheels at the same time. I let them soak in a sealed bucket overnight and the tires will usually just fall off.

I'll be doing this soon. Forgot all about this thread. Thanks for the 411 billy.