Thread: Detailers!

RC Champion

Detailers!

My fellow detailers, I have a dilemma due to the drought here in California. I am no longer legally allowed to wash cars in my driveway so I was wondering of alternatives that would give me the same results. Good results were already hard as it was with poor water quality with the drought but these new restrictions leave you with a $500 fine for your first offense so it isn't something I can ignore. Please help! Thank you!
    Slash 4x4 LCG+(rolling)HCG, Slash 2wd(raptor)

Alfredmadere
    Try using a blow dryer and a vacuum, that's what i do. but it doesn't work as well as washing it out with water that's what i would do tho, also use q tips and paper towels.

btw how do i subscribe to a tread i didn't make? can i?
    Last edited by Alfredmadere; 06-08-2015 at 04:09 PM. Reason: for got to ask something

RC Champion
    Use the bath tub. Put a towel over the drain to collect dirt.

Quote Originally Posted by Jws1982 View Post
    Use the bath tub. Put a towel over the drain to collect dirt.
    I think Sean1214 meant his 1:1 vehicle, not his RC.

Traxxas Marshal
    Depending on how dirty the vehicles are, some sort of quick detailer might work. I used to use Meguiars Quick Detailer to clean the pollen off from our vehicles when I didn't have a garage (and didn't feel like dragging out the hose). I wouldn't use it for dirt and such, but it works well for dust and pollen. Just be sure to use quality rags/towels, follow the instructions, etc.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

RC Racer
    Seriously.. It's now illegal to wash your car in your own drive way.

Here's a suggestion. Move out of that state..
    Sorry I don't have anything meaningful to add. Just can't believe them these days
    Last edited by Double G; 06-11-2015 at 09:35 AM. Reason: content

Reach out to a company there in CA called Pro-One. Based out of Costa Mesa (714)327-0262. They sell a "Waterless Wash & Shine". Works pretty well from what I've seen. Don't know if you can buy direct from them, but if not, they can refer you to a local vendor.

RC Champion
    Thanks for the responses guys, I am talking about 1:1 cars. The issue is that the main vehicle I take care of sees dirt roads very often so detailer spray turns the dust to mud and when you wipe it it'll just tear up the clear coat. The two other cars are bmw's worth $50k+ so detailer spray doesn't give the results necessary for vehicles that high end. What I don't get is that you are still allowed to use normal car washes that use way more water than the 2-4 gallons I use (max) in which I could cut down to 1-3 gallons if necessary. Perks of living in a very controlled state Thanks again for the help guys!

RC Enthusiast
    what about a car wash? i'm talking about one that uses a pressure washer, not an autowash.

source: 6 years experience in the auto detailing world.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Sabin View Post
    what about a car wash? i'm talking about one that uses a pressure washer, not an autowash.

source: 6 years experience in the auto detailing world.
    Don't those brushes just collect tons and tons of contaminants that'll ultimately swirl up your paint bigtime? Or is it fine just to use the power washer?

ive been using optimum no rinse for 5 years now. just need a bucket with 2 gallons of water and i use a microfiber sponge and a couple of plush microfibers to dry. ive used it in my garage multiple times i will usually get some of the water out of the sponge first when i do that though. if its heavily soiled i will wipe lightly to loosen up the debris and then do a second pass to help rinse it away. i drove my car down a dirt road friday night and washed my car yesterday morning and everything came off fine. it was more sandy than muddy though
    Last edited by skmfkr; 06-14-2015 at 07:42 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by skmfkr View Post
    just need a bucket with 2 gallons of water
    Thats the issue, we are allowed zero water with no exceptions.

i guess you dont have a garage? can you even water your flowers? do you have a backyard you could wash it in? it doesnt make any sense to say you cant wash your car with 2 gallons of water when i think flushing a toilet uses 2 gallons everytime.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys, I am talking about 1:1 cars. The issue is that the main vehicle I take care of sees dirt roads very often so detailer spray turns the dust to mud and when you wipe it it'll just tear up the clear coat. The two other cars are bmw's worth $50k+ so detailer spray doesn't give the results necessary for vehicles that high end. What I don't get is that you are still allowed to use normal car washes that use way more water than the 2-4 gallons I use (max) in which I could cut down to 1-3 gallons if necessary. Perks of living in a very controlled state Thanks again for the help guys!
    Alot of the self serve and automatic car washes, the water is recycled and ran though filters.

RC Champion
    i guess you dont have a garage? can you even water your flowers? do you have a backyard you could wash it in? it doesnt make any sense to say you cant wash your car with 2 gallons of water when i think flushing a toilet uses 2 gallons everytime.
    I have a garage but I have no drainage and the walls are drywall, I have a side yard I can wash on but the runoff goes straight back to the street so the people enforce the water laws can still see that. I hate making this so complicated but I don't have money to pay for a pro detailer or water waste fines. Having a vehicle on my sideyard though is against HOA rules too.

Does anyone know if Texas cities banned carwashing during their drought?

I guess your only option would be go to the coin-op deal, drop $2.00 to spray them down, then do the waterless spray at home. I was just there in Pasadena visiting family and they were all receiving notices in the mail barking about higher fines for over-usage. Bad situation.

Traxxas Employee
    Every city had different rules for conservation. The hardest hit cities did ban self car washes. The automated ones and business operated ones were exempt as long as they have the proper licensing and zoning.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by slidin6ofem View Post
    I guess your only option would be go to the coin-op deal, drop $2.00 to spray them down, then do the waterless spray at home. I was just there in Pasadena visiting family and they were all receiving notices in the mail barking about higher fines for over-usage. Bad situation.
    That's actually not a bad idea, Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    I have a garage but I have no drainage and the walls are drywall, I have a side yard I can wash on but the runoff goes straight back to the street so the people enforce the water laws can still see that. I hate making this so complicated but I don't have money to pay for a pro detailer or water waste fines. Having a vehicle on my sideyard though is against HOA rules too.

Does anyone know if Texas cities banned carwashing during their drought?
    my garage doesnt have a drain and also has drywall. dont you pull your car into a garage when its raining? its the same amount of water. it will dry

Traxxas Marshal
    my garage doesnt have a drain and also has drywall. dont you pull your car into a garage when its raining? its the same amount of water. it will dry
    Regardless of whether or not washing in the garage is possible, what you are suggesting is against the law. Any additional posts on the subject of finding ways to use water without being caught will be deleted and warning points may be issued.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

Here we are allowed to wash our cars between certain hrs and on certain days of the week. Also we are supposed to do this over the grass so that the water goes into the ground.

I use a low pressure (1000 psi) pressure washer and good quality wash n wax to do my washing. Using the pressure washer does get all the soap off and helps with the heavy dirt. Believe it or not it actually uses less water than a regular garden hose.

As usual us humans are now "Re-Acting" to the damage we've been sitting on our duffs and scratching our heads as well as other body parts as the probems just create a cascading scale of events.... But the fact still remains, this is a SERIOUS DROUGHT!!!!!! It takes more than just some rain, and when the rain comes the land is that depleated it gives way, hello flash floods...
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall