RC Competitor

Servo shorting out question

I'm pretty sure my traxxas servo is shorting out. When I turn wheel on my futaba controller my mm2 cuts off all power for a few seconds then powers up again . When I disconnect my servo from receiver throttle and fans all work without a problem. I recently switched over to futaba 3pl receiver transmitter combo which I really like. Is it worth switchn over to a nice futaba servo or should I just grab another traxxas? Anybody got some opinions on that

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by pcgjr47 View Post
    I'm pretty sure my traxxas servo is shorting out. When I turn wheel on my futaba controller my mm2 cuts off all power for a few seconds then powers up again . When I disconnect my servo from receiver throttle and fans all work without a problem. I recently switched over to futaba 3pl receiver transmitter combo which I really like. Is it worth switchn over to a nice futaba servo or should I just grab another traxxas? Anybody got some opinions on that
    What's your voltage set to on the mm2. I had same problem but not with traxxas servo. I went to a high torque/voltage servo on my sidewinder8 esc with spektrum rx/tx and it did same fan would drop down when turning wheels. I added a glitch buster to it and problem went away

What you are experiencing is a brown out. Basically the ESC is not putting enough voltage out to power the servo, the servo asks for power and the ESC turns itself off trying to provide it.

If you have the castle link, you can change the output voltage of the ESC to match what you need, 6.0V in this case. The MM2 should not have trouble putting out the amps needed for a traxxas 2075, if you don't have too many lights/fans running as well.

If that does not work, I suggest getting the Castle BEC, which will remove the power need for the servo from the ESC and power it directly though the battery. You can find a lot of information on BEC's with a search.

IMO, skip the glitch buster. In the three occasions I've used one that money would have been better spent going toward the BEC.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    While I do agree it is a brown out, I don't think ANY of the traxxas servos will pull enough power to cause it, unless they are having serious problems --- do you have any other servo to try and test out?

RC Competitor
    I have been running the same setup for a year without problem which is mm2/2650kv on 3s... however last week i switched to a new 2200kv motor and everything seemed fine i ran the truck twice with no problems. the truck just started acting up in middle of a quick run. I'm running mm2/2200, motor and esc fans, 2075 servo. since day 1 having my mm2 i've never adjusted the output voltage I only have a macbook sono castle link for me i just use the castle field card for my basic settings. I don't have an extra servo so I ordered a new one last night ill try that when it comes in. you guys think I should order a BEC ?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    a BEC is never going to hurt a situation, in fact, it will actually free up the ESC and possibly make it perform better

It could also be the MM2 BEC is shot, in which case a BEC would be an easy fix.

My slash has one due to using a savox servo. Brown out city.

Alfredmadere
    Quote Originally Posted by pcgjr47 View Post
    very weird, i have no idea what is going on, just replace the servo... that's what i would do...

RC Competitor
    Ordered new servo and castle bec i think the servo is shot

RC Competitor
    swapped out old servo with new one today. problem was the servo esc is running normal now. I have a castle bec i also picked up I think it set to default of 5.1v do i need to change that output to 6v? i only have a mac not pc is why I'm asking

It would not hurt being at 6v. Will be a little faster.

You only need to set it once. Maybe have a buddy help you out?