3s LiPo Upgrades

So I want to upgrade my completely box stock Slash 4x4 to a 3s LiPo. I know the stock parts won't last with a 3s, so what is needed before I get a 3s Lipo and some different pinions for street and bashing?

I would get the King Headz motor mount, a metal bearing adapter for the slipper clutch, Mip X-Duty axles and a better set of tires. You may eventually want to get the differential from the XO -1 and you will be good to go. I would keep the stock gears . Oh a good temperature gun also
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    I would get the King Headz motor mount, a metal bearing adapter for the slipper clutch, Mip X-Duty axles and a better set of tires. You may eventually want to get the differential from the XO -1 and you will be good to go. I would keep the stock gears . Oh a good temperature gun also
    Well Im getting a 19 tooth pinion for running on street for the 60+. When I switch between bashing and street driving with it, do i just change the gearing and tires? Oh and should I get motor and esc fans?

I highly recommend that you get a heatsink with a fan for the motor. Street tires will give you much better performance on-road and speed runs.

I highly recommend that you get a heatsink with a fan for the motor. Street tires will give you much better performance on-road and speed runs.
    Will pro line street fighters do the trick? I am getting pro line badlands for bashing.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by RobertZ311 View Post
    Well Im getting a 19 tooth pinion for running on street for the 60+. When I switch between bashing and street driving with it, do i just change the gearing and tires? Oh and should I get motor and esc fans?
    Only run that 19 tooth for speed runs... meaning 5 minutes or less. And only on pavement. For bashing... go back to the 13 tooth and keep a close eye on temps. Does your Slash have telemetry? On Monday I tested telemetry vs. a real temp gun, several times and only saw a 1 degree difference. So... it's pretty darn accurate. Stay under 180F.

The way around all this gear swapping constantly would be to get the Traxxas 2400kv motor. It can handle 18/54, even on grass, etc.

And I am planning on doing the lcg conversion later down the road. Will these parts work fine with that?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    The motor mount will not. Driveshafts, XO-1 diffs, Bearing adapter, etc. will.

RC Qualifier
    A place where I have food, shelter, shower, water, bed and internet
    btw robert, street fighters are good for the money, however duratrax banditos do well too
    Sl4sh, Arrma Talion, Stamp4de, Castle, MIP, RPM

All good tips here...especially about watching the temps. That Velenion 3500kv will fly on 3s geared 19/54 but it's gonna get hot...quick! These thing are not that aerodynamic......above 40ish they start to get real squirrley, they parachute...meaning air gets under the body and starts to pick it up. I've had mine a tick over 50 and it gets touchy. I've also lost it once a little over 40...it did the end over end down the street in front of my house, I didn't think it was ever gonna stop!! Luckily it survived with just scratches...lol. Have fun!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

I can't find a metal adapter. Is aluminum ok?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Aluminum is metal.... LOL.

Traxxas 6893 = blah
    Traxxas 6893X = good
    Robinson Racing #7853 = better
    King Headz 6893 = best

*In my opinion
    Last edited by matts175; 06-11-2015 at 12:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by matts175 View Post
    Aluminum is metal.... LOL.

Traxxas 6893 = blah
    Traxxas 6893X = good
    Robinson Racing #7853 = better
    King Headz 6893 = best

*In my opinion
    Alright I will get king headz

Thanks guys for all of your suggestions Im just planning on what to upgrade in the future.

RC Qualifier
    You can also look at the Hot Racing motor mount, it uses the larger bearing like the KH one does and is a little cheaper.

Quote Originally Posted by BLachance75 View Post
    You can also look at the Hot Racing motor mount, it uses the larger bearing like the KH one does and is a little cheaper.
    It may be a little cheaper but it doesn't always fit. I have seen threads where it required modification to fit the truck properly. I have had no problems with the King Headz ever! I havehad a few in different trucks.

I thought it was the STRC motor mount for the LCG that some had problems with?
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I think your right squeegie about strc ones not fitting. I have a HR motor mount and it went in very nice no problems what so ever

It may be a little cheaper but it doesn't always fit. I have seen threads where it required modification to fit the truck properly. I have had no problems with the King Headz ever! I havehad a few in different trucks.
    There has never been an issue with the hot racing motor mount, nor strc.
    That was a gentleman man who thought the strc motor slant wasn't right on his rig and I'm pretty sure he found out the mount was fine.
    Its the way the motor has to sit for the spur and pinion to match, the longer the motor the more pronounced the slant.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    I own a kingz head and two Hot racing mounts, the reason I dont own two kingz head mounts is because the Hot racing imo is a better unit.
    The kingz head is fine but not 8 more bucks worth, you can buy three more bearings with that.
    Not that you'll need them tho, the Hot racing mount doesn't need a mod for the bearing to stay intact.
    Beaten and abused for months off road in dirt and dust, so far not one problem with the bearing.
    [IMG][/IMG]
    With that out of the way Imo the op's stock system wont last long on 3s anyway, certainly not geared 19/54.
    How many threads are there on 3s killing the stock system compared to those that last a while, about ten to one.
    Imo 3s is for the bigger motors that can take it with a smile and keep going.
    Like the El Sob special, a great system for 3s.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 06-11-2015 at 02:45 PM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Qualifier
    The vxl can handle 3s with the stock gearing perfectly fine but you should still be keeping a eye on the motor it tends to get pretty warm. With a 19 tooth pinion it will need a break after a couple passes that's really pushing this combo to the limit.

The vxl can handle 3s with the stock gearing perfectly fine but you should still be keeping a eye on the motor it tends to get pretty warm.
    Exactly my point, I like to put a pack in and run till the pack is done, stopping every five minutes for a temp check isn't that much fun.
    The way around all this gear swapping constantly would be to get the Traxxas 2400kv motor. It can handle 18/54, even on grass, etc.
    Well said matts, a great 4wd slash motor.
    I thought after they offered it in the funny car it might have showed up as an optional 4wd motor, maybe with the new 4 pole esc we might see it happen one day.

Just to reiterate what has been said already, I installed the got racing motor mount when I converted to lcg and it fit with no problem. I wish it was black, but other than that I have no complaints. Fits great, does what it should, and even has an added o ring. It's a no brainer when you save $8 or more.

XO-1 differential for front and rear?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I'm running the XO-1 diffs, front and rear.

You can build your own if you chose.
    They were dirt cheap in chop shops but they caught on quick, I suppose there still a bit cheaper but I enjoy working on my rigs.
    It proves advantageous to know every nut ant bolt on your rig when its time for maintenance or emergency repairs.