RC poster

Question Glowplug igniter alternative?

I am wanting to move away from the blue electric start cord on my revo 3.3 because it keeps coming apart. I was wondering if I bought a GlowPlug ignitor instead of using the electric one. Would I have to change anything. Like can I also use the EZ Start to turn the crankshaft?

RC Qualifier
    if its coming apart I would just buy another wiring harness for 6 bucks online. I have a pull start on mine and I have to use a Glowplug ignitor and I hate it. So save yourself some time and money and buy another wiring harness.
    Last edited by vwbug; 06-11-2015 at 11:28 PM.

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by vwbug View Post
    if its coming apart I would just buy another wiring harness for 6 bucks online. I have a pull start on mine and I have to use a Glowplug ignitor and I hate it. So save yourself some time and money and buy another wiring harness.
    What if I keep everything on there and just not use the blue wire?

RC Qualifier
    Yes it would work. The E-z start is more convenient in my opinion. But you can do whatever you want.

My ignitor cost $10 and I put in a rechargeable AA battery and my charger has an adapter to fit the ignitor so I can charge the battery if needed.
    Nothing wrong with removing the blue wire, most people do and later get a pull start.
    The Super Derecho

I actually like my Ez start, got rid of the Nicd battery and use a Lipo instead, and having no problems, except I hoping with so much power I will not strip the one way bearing.

From teh looks of things, it is doing great, I have had less trouble starting my truck...and the glow plug ignites very fast.
    Live life to the fullest

The ez start wasnt powerful enough as a glow ignitor for me so I got a hot shot 2 glow ignitor and it makes starting up my revo so much easier when it is cold. I still use the ez start motor but I cut the glow plug wires off.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    I actually like my Ez start, got rid of the Nicd battery and use a Lipo instead, and having no problems, except I hoping with so much power I will not strip the one way bearing.

From teh looks of things, it is doing great, I have had less trouble starting my truck...and the glow plug ignites very fast.
    I second this, once i switched to a 2s lipo for my starter my truck starts much easier

RC Champion
    The not-so-ezstart is a problem in its own. Honestly get rid of it and switch to a pull start or a roto start. The ezstart system is okay for beginners but has many wiring and soldering problems also its pretty heavy. You can crank faster with a pull start and ull never have that problem when u go 5-10 miles away and ur starter wand is only good for 2 starts if your lucky.

Get a good rechargeable glow igniter with a dial and a pull start.

All it takes is 2-3 pulls with a good tune. And if you are having an issue starting you dont have to worry about draining the wand.
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mxaustin View Post
    The not-so-ezstart is a problem in its own. Honestly get rid of it and switch to a pull start or a roto start. The ezstart system is okay for beginners but has many wiring and soldering problems also its pretty heavy. You can crank faster with a pull start and ull never have that problem when u go 5-10 miles away and ur starter wand is only good for 2 starts if your lucky.

All it takes is 2-3 pulls with a good tune. And if you are having an issue starting you dont have to worry about draining the wand.
    There is kinda a downside to a pull start
    1. The cord will break easily
    2. The fuel won't travel through the fuel lines as easily and quickly.
    3.not the traxxas way ��

RC Champion
    Its a traxxas pull start... and none of that is true actually. The cord does NOT break easy. If you flood the engine and try cranking it yeah then it will break. But most are smarter then that. And when u PRIME the engine correctly. It takes 2-3 pulls and that's all.

I had a great afternoon today.
    No problem at all with my EZ start and Lipo, went through five tanks before I had a bad accident and managed to strip the spur again...I will stick to my ez start for now;
    Live life to the fullest

Quote Originally Posted by mxaustin View Post
    Honestly get rid of it and switch to a pull start or a roto start. The ezstart system is okay for beginners... You can crank faster with a pull start and ull never have that problem when u go 5-10 miles away and ur starter wand is only good for 2 starts if your lucky.

I agree. I'd rather lug around a barely-noticeable-in-my-pocket glow ignitor than clip the much heavier wand to my belt.

Quote Originally Posted by manof99 View Post
    There is kinda a downside to a pull start
    1. The cord will break easily
    2. The fuel won't travel through the fuel lines as easily and quickly.
    3.not the traxxas way ��
    Have you used a pull start?

1. Nope. Unless it rubs against something causing it to fray or one continuously pulls the cord to its max. I've had mine last many gallons and I may take Snook Man's idea of putting a little bow string wax on it to help its longevity.

2. Don't see where a pull start will increase the resistance disallowing movement of fuel to the carb. I take the hose off the pipe and gently blow into it until the fuel reaches the carb and then pull the cord.

3. If this was true then Traxxas wouldn't brand and sell their own pull start.
    Last edited by Double G; 06-14-2015 at 07:17 AM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    i went to bump start and haven't looked back. I kept having issues with the OWB failing on my OS TM. Picked up a back plate for the .18 and converted the TM and it defintely runs better than ever before. Losing the excess weight and messy wiring is a bonus too. I use a rechargeable glow igniter and an ofna t-start box.
    I have an RC problem...

Are tnere any good rotostarters for the 3.3? Im kind of looking at the duratrax rotostarter but cant find a good backplate.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Champion
    The roto start back plates for the trx are out of production. Occasionally they turn up on eBay. I think I have one still in my parts bin.
    I have an RC problem...

Not to rub it in your face, I still have one but plan on keeping it for quite a while. Use it to spin the engine when it is tight and going through break-in then a pull start goes on it.
    You could go with the Tiger Drive:
    http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXHGP1
    Last edited by Double G; 06-14-2015 at 03:27 PM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    Are tnere any good rotostarters for the 3.3? Im kind of looking at the duratrax rotostarter but cant find a good backplate.
    Pro .15 OWB, HPI savage roto start

RC Champion
    Iv liked my tiger drive when I felt like lugging around a drill. They worked great aslong as your drill has a charge