RC Qualifier

Going from 2s to 3s. Ditching Tekin!

I've decided to ditch my Tekin Pro4 4000kv on 2s and go with a Castle 2400kv on 3s or perhaps the Traxxas 2400kv (same motor)in my Slash 4x4. The Tekin just doesn't have the torque I need. I'm keeping the RX8 ESC. I started out geared at 54/13 and ended up at 54/15. Good mid and top end speed, but the low end torque blows. Plus my SMC 6500 70c 2s lipos are starting to puff on me from the heat. The heat here in S. Florida kills more 2s batteries than anything. I want to keep the heat down in the motor and batteries.

I've got the XO1 shafts for the Slash so no worries about driveshaft breakage.

I don't race anymore. Just go to the track with my son to drive for fun so I can use whatever motor I want. This seems like a good choice for my needs. Any thoughts on this? Thanks.

You will absolutely love the 2400 motor! It is a great motor that runs cool when geared 18, 19/54 on 3s. 20/54 is a little warmer but nowhere near 180. I think it would be a great buy for your truck
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Qualifier
    Thanks for your quick reply! I only drive my truck at the track. What is a good pinion for track driving? Should I start at 18?

Quote Originally Posted by MaXDee View Post
    Thanks for your quick reply! I only drive my truck at the track. What is a good pinion for track driving? Should I start at 18?
    Do you need a lot of top end for the track? If yes that will be fine. If it is more of a technical tight track you may want to go with a 15 or a 16.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

That motor is an aboslute blast...I am gered at 18/54 hbecause I am bashing and but also racing occasionally at a track made by a few of us enthusiasts...untill we loose the area.

On 3s, the speed is just phenominal, have not monitored the temps in these higher ambient temsp at the moment but will do soon.
    Live life to the fullest

I found the same to be true for an LRP X12L 5.5T (3700kv) sensored 550 motor. The LRP's power is adequate and it's really smooth, but the 2400kv Castle 1415 motor on 3S is a a real tire ripping beast down low.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 06-12-2015 at 09:26 AM.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    Do you need a lot of top end for the track? If yes that will be fine. If it is more of a technical tight track you may want to go with a 15 or a 16.
    It's a tighter, technical track. 140x70. One long straight.
    Last edited by MaXDee; 06-12-2015 at 09:35 AM.

It's a tighter, technical track. 140x70. One long straight.
    Do you fellas have your private track, just curious as most tracks dont allow 3s.
    Imo the 2400 is a great motor, not as heavy as the 1/8 motors but nearly just as much power.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    Do you fellas have your private track, just curious as most tracks dont allow 3s.
    Imo the 2400 is a great motor, not as heavy as the 1/8 motors but nearly just as much power.
    A bunch of us actually built a track on a borrowed land which has beenm sold since but we are still going there untill the new propriter starts building.

This is way all of us run form 2s to 6s, to nitro...etc. In tha past three years one fellow actually build a huge bqalcony stand and took it down once the land was sold off. It is one great small but fun track.
    Live life to the fullest

Just how do you have your RX8 set-up? Do you have punch control set low or do you have any timing set? I ask because I am running 17 54 at my track and have plenty of torque.

Set your timing to 0 and punch control to 9 and see what you think.

I run the pro4 4000kv too and it is excellent for racing. You could just upgrade to a pro4 4300hd if you what more torque.
    I ran mine yesterday in 90 degree heat with 17/50 on the street and it did get hot but not enough to puff a battery or anything.

RC Champion
    Make sure you beef up your diffs too, its not fun tearing them down more than once
    Slash 4x4 LCG+(rolling)HCG, Slash 2wd(raptor)

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by sean1214 View Post
    Make sure you beef up your diffs too, its not fun tearing them down more than once
    What do I need to do to the diffs to beef them up? For those that drive on a track, what diff fluids F/C/R are you using? I'm currently using 15k front, 50k center, 5k rear.

The track I run on is kinda gooey/slick (Brownie batter)so 7f 5c 2r If you have better traction (Blue groove) then I would say you are in the ball park. Don't run the center diff w/3s you will burn it up.

Front and rear diff's, to beef them up we are switching to the XO1 diffs that have an I beam in the middle and side plates to keep the gears in line. You can buy them online complete or order the parts and put them together yourself.

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmogman View Post
    The track I run on is kinda gooey/slick (Brownie batter)so 7f 5c 2r If you have better traction (Blue groove) then I would say you are in the ball park. Don't run the center diff w/3s you will burn it up.

Front and rear diff's, to beef them up we are switching to the XO1 diffs that have an I beam in the middle and side plates to keep the gears in line. You can buy them online complete or order the parts and put them together yourself.
    Ironically, I already have the XO1 diffs in my truck. I didn't realize they were XO1 diffs. Should I pull out the center diff and put in a slipper clutch? Why does the center diff burn up, but not the front and rear?

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by thesmogman View Post
    Just how do you have your RX8 set-up? Do you have punch control set low or do you have any timing set? I ask because I am running 17 54 at my track and have plenty of torque.

Set your timing to 0 and punch control to 9 and see what you think.

I run the pro4 4000kv too and it is excellent for racing. You could just upgrade to a pro4 4300hd if you what more torque.
    I ran mine yesterday in 90 degree heat with 17/50 on the street and it did get hot but not enough to puff a battery or anything.

I'll double check my ESC settings. I'll try the settings you recommended if they aren't set that way before I jump to the 2400kv on 3s. In the summertime I hear almost on a weekly basis that somebody puffed a 2s battery at the track. Good quality batteries too. I'm just tired of the puffed batteries myself hence one of the reasons for the jump to 3s.
    Last edited by MaXDee; 06-13-2015 at 07:14 PM.

Ironically, I already have the XO1 diffs in my truck. I didn't realize they were XO1 diffs. Should I pull out the center diff and put in a slipper clutch? Why does the center diff burn up, but not the front and rear?
    That is the general consensus is it will burn/melt. I don't know from experience.

RC Qualifier
    Should I replace the center diff with a slipper clutch?

RC Champion
    Probably, you also wanna beef up the slipper with E-revo parts but I forgot exactly which parts.
    Slash 4x4 LCG+(rolling)HCG, Slash 2wd(raptor)