RC Enthusiast

Cool Brushless for my Rusty!

What a happy day! My wife surprised me with a Castle SCT 3800kv combo for our anniversary! OMG Im stoked! I can't wait until I can drop that bad boy in!

Now I do have a few questions. I have never soldered anything in my life. I would imagine soldering 2 wires onto a trx male connector shouldnt be rocket science. Any quick tips?

Stock gearing. Common advice is to start with stock gearing. The Castle motor came with a nifty gearing chart but I am having trouble finding out what the stock gearing actually is. The exploded view chart makes it look like its a 90 spur and 16 pinion. Does that sound like a correct assumption?

https://traxxas.com/explodedviews/Ru...ssion-Assembly

Assuming that is what I have stock (it came with a 2nd spur and pinion gear for "speed runs" but I dont recall what the tooth count is on those at the moment) is 90/16 a good start with my new motor? Keep in mind I am starting out with NiMH batts right now (7 cell 3000mah stock x 2). I know the 3800kv motor is hard on NiMH batts, but frankly im not too concerned about their long term life. I will be getting 2s LiPos soon enough.

OMG! I CANT WAIT TO GET HOME FROM WORK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RC Qualifier
    Congrats jtman! Your wife gave you a spectacular upgrade for your Rusty! I run the same system in my Rustler, but my motor has the 5mm shaft, so my gearing ratio is a lot different because I run 32p gears. 16/90 should be a good ratio to start with (I think that's the ratio that Castle recommends starting off with for that system) and you can experiment from there. Double check Castle's gearing chart to be sure though. Also, pick up a cheap IR temp gauge if you don't have one already so you can keep an eye on your temps if you decide to start gearing up later on.

As far as soldering goes, you need a hot iron (preferably a 60w), good lead-based solder, a decent set of wire cutters/strippers, a set of helping hands or a block of wood, and patience! There are a ton of videos on youtube on how to solder TRX connectors and they're one of the easiest connector types to solder. Ensure that your wires and tabs are nicely tinned before you join the wire to the tab. Just take your time and refer to the excellent instructional videos on youtube and you should be fine.

Definitely pick up a 7.4v 2S 5000mah pack and a charger when you can. It's night and day difference from the stock nimh and you will be very happy with the additional acceleration/punch you'll get from running lipo. Have fun man and let us know if you have any questions!

RC Qualifier
    It is a great system I have it my my second rustler and love it. The gearing I am running 23/83 in my castle 3800 system and the motor only gets to about 150 at the highest usually under 130.
    God's Not Dead

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks for the tips Mogg, the castle chart shows 12-19/90 for the 3800 on a Rustler. Looks like 16 puts it right in the middle.

The castle wires come pre-tinned at least, so that should help. My father in law has just about every tool known to man, and has soldered stuff for me in the past. But I want to do this myself so im just going to borrow his iron and some solder (I have no clue what kind/how powerful it is, but knowing him its probably a decently high-end iron).

I bought the Traxxas dual charger that came in the mail yesterday (with a pair of proline gladiators! WooHoo!) so I am ready to charge some Lipos, just have to save some more pennies to get them. I am planning on a pair of SPC 2S 5000mAh Lipos.

Mr. Beast, I am still really new to all this so Im not sure how the spur gear change compares. I am currently researching gearing but 23 on the pinion is quite high and those are some low temps, it sounds really promising!

RC Qualifier
    If am am wrong please correct me but I think the pinion gear has 3x the effect of the spur gear ratio. All I can say is experiment with a temp gun and see what gearing ratio is best for you good luck let us know how it turns out.
    God's Not Dead

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by jtman View Post
    I bought the Traxxas dual charger that came in the mail yesterday (with a pair of proline gladiators! WooHoo!) so I am ready to charge some Lipos, just have to save some more pennies to get them. I am planning on a pair of SPC 2S 5000mAh Lipos.
    Sounds like you've definitely done your homework! I run a set of glads too and the tread has held up very well for nearly a year now! SPCs are amazing batteries for the price and you will love them. Great choice for a charger too.

RC Enthusiast
    Glads came just in time. I knew they were on there way so I was bashing hard and one of the stock tires is starting to peel out of the wheel. I thought I read somewhere that you can use superglue as tire glue. Regardless, Im putting the glads on in about 30 minutes and never looking back =D Awesome to hear they have lasted so long for you. I in about 4 weeks the center tread of my stock tires are nearly bald!

RC Racer
    Please jtman, let me know how your performance is with both nimh and lipo and the gearing once you have used the sct 3800kv. I would like to know the performance of the 3800kv motor because i just ordered one to swap with a 4600kv. Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by KoopDogg View Post
    Please jtman, let me know how your performance is with both nimh and lipo and the gearing once you have used the sct 3800kv. I would like to know the performance of the 3800kv motor because i just ordered one to swap with a 4600kv. Thanks
    Lipo will have more punch than NiMH, not much more speed (vs. 2S). Castle states that the SCT 3800kv is only rated for 2S where the SV3 4600kv can handle 3S if you want to get a little wild. I think in your Rusty you will like the SV3 but never had the SCT combo so who knows?
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    This is the system I have in my ancient Rusty too. It's the system the Castle techs recommend. As far as gearing, mine are 32 pitch: 12/52. Gearing is just math. If you want a quick reference gear chart PM me. A temp gun is a must.

Gladiators and SPC LiPos. You are making some excellent choices.

Oh, by the way, it appears that you are addicted to RC, just like the rest of us. Welcome to the asylum.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by KoopDogg View Post
    So far its far and away better than the brushed titan motor. Way more punch, quite a bit faster, and the NiMH batteries last noticeably longer too. Win/win/win, everything is better! Its going to be a couple weeks before I secure a couple of 2s LiPo batts, but Ill certainly update my experience when I get them.

Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post
    This is the system I have in my ancient Rusty too. It's the system the Castle techs recommend. As far as gearing, mine are 32 pitch: 12/52. Gearing is just math. If you want a quick reference gear chart PM me. A temp gun is a must.

Gladiators and SPC LiPos. You are making some excellent choices.

Oh, by the way, it appears that you are addicted to RC, just like the rest of us. Welcome to the asylum.
    I do have a temp gun, but right now it seems like I dont even need it. I was running it hard, through my unmowed lawn, speeding down the street, traction rolling it like crazy and the motor barely felt warm to the touch. Pure awesomeness! I just used the stock gearing (OMG removing that pinion from the stock motor was a PAIN!) 16/90. Seems I will have plenty of room to gear up, with the NiMH at least. I did notice the batteries were quite warm, I didnt temp them though.

The Glads are AWESOME! The much improved traction had me rolling the car constantly haha! My worn out stock tires made pavement seem like loose gravel. The addiction is already strong, I cant wait to get my LiPOs next!

RC Enthusiast
    I forgot to mention. I didn't realize that the castle SCT has a manual on/off switch. There isnt really a place to put it so i just let it dangle arond in there. Then I noticed it was dangling outside the body while I was running it and that wont last long. i did see a youtube video where someone just cut the wires really short and twisted them together to make it "always on". I dont really want to do that, I like having the switch. Any ideas on how/where to mount this switch? I have a dremmel, I was thinking about cutting a hole on the side lip of the body and attaching it there making it easy to shut off while the body is still on. Any consequences to a modification like this? How has everyone else with a castle ESC mananged to deal with the switch?

In my experiance the switch will soon die on you its just a matter of time. I used to cut a small slot in the sidewall of the chassis and glue it in there but sometimes after a crash into an obstacle it would get switched off. But it happened to me just one or two times in total so it reall wasn5 an big deal In the end it was really hard to flip the switch so I decided to take it off completely. Now I'm happ with always on
    [IMG][/IMG]

Most all the experienced RC drivers I know just cut off the switch, solders the wires together and then insulates them. If you want to mount the switch, just use some Show Goo. This stuff is a must in this hobby for so, so many reasons. It makes great repairs in torn Lexan and it is the most secure way to mount an ESC too. When you're done, it peels off cleanly.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Qualifier
    I agree. Ditch the switch. The best I/0 switch is a good old Traxxas connector.
    Bashin' n' crashin'

Quote Originally Posted by brandon555 View Post
    I agree. Ditch the switch. The best I/0 switch is a good old Traxxas connector.
    ...and the worst switch is on the VXL-3s ESC!
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Enthusiast
    I may ditch the switch if/when it fails, but for some reason I like the swtich. I found a solution when a RPM sidewinder ESC mount was suggested in another thread.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXFCZS&P=8
    "Separate switch mount bolts to cage, or may be mounted anywhere by two 2mm holes"

less than $10 shipped, oh yeah!

Quote Originally Posted by jtman View Post
    I may ditch the switch if/when it fails, but for some reason I like the swtich. I found a solution when a RPM sidewinder ESC mount was suggested in another thread.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...P?I=LXFCZS&P=8
    "Separate switch mount bolts to cage, or may be mounted anywhere by two 2mm holes"

less than $10 shipped, oh yeah!
    Totally unnecessary (Shoe Goo does it all) but a really nice look to it.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post
    Totally unnecessary (Shoe Goo does it all) but a really nice look to it.
    Yeah, I know, but for 10 bucks I prefer the "pretty" looks =)

I'm still going to get some Shoe Goo though, because I see it recommended constantly for all sorts of things.