RC Enthusiast

Question Castle Creations ESC combo Question

Whats the difference between the performance and the durability the Castle Creations Sidewinder 8th motor and ESC combo and the mamba monster 2 motor and ESC combo?
    Last edited by gtomaniac1234; 06-15-2015 at 06:00 PM.

RC Competitor
    I'm not sure this answers your question fully, I have the sidewinder 1/8 combo in my slash 4x4 and think its great on 3s lipos. Have not been able to get it even warm and its plenty fast geared 19/54.

Simple answer, $150.00. I think they are both very quality motor systems. As a guess, maybe the MM2 2200 is rated for more weight. I'm sure someone else will chime in.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Enthusiast
    I know the sidewinder 8th comes with a 1515B 2200kv motor and the mm2 comes with a 1515 2200kv motor. What's the difference between the two motors?

I know the can is physically different. The regular 2200 is green with shiny exposed aluminum heatsink built into it. The Sidewinder 8th is a smooth can.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Enthusiast
    Besides the motors, I know the esc's are different. Besides size and cost what are the electrical differences between the sidewinder 8th and the mm2?

The sidewinder 1/8 is a 90amp esc with a fixed bec, I dont know what else can be adjusted with the 1/8th, the MM2 is a 120amp esc with an adjustable bec as well as several other available adjustments.
    Castle claims the motor internals are the same, I can't dispute the company that makes them but I dont under stand how a motor known to pull 120amps with no problem can function correctly on a 90amp capable esc.
    I'm no electronics wizard but something doesn't add up between the two.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by gtomaniac1234 View Post
    Besides the motors, I know the esc's are different. Besides size and cost what are the electrical differences between the sidewinder 8th and the mm2?
    How about you can change the bec voltage on the mm2. The SW8 has a fixed 5.5v bec. I have both but they are running 2650 motors. Even though the SW8 is a 90amp esc it still handles the 2650 no problem. I say that because there was a thread talking about the SW8 paired with the 2650 motor. Since it doesn't come as a combo some wondered how it would perform. Other then the bec output I haven't noticed a different between the 2. You can't go wrong with either setup. I personally like the 2650 motor over the 2200 for bashing. I use the 2200 1515b paired with the xo1 esc its a speed run vehicle and sometimes race my boys up and down the street. This may or may not help with your decision. But again you'll be happy with either one. I'm seeing more and more of the sw8 2200 in some trucks just because it's cheaper then the mm2 combo

Lol oops I guess I should've refreshed the page looks like billy beat me to the bec part
    Last edited by Er33; 06-15-2015 at 10:43 PM.

RC Racer
    I run the SW8/2650 and can't see going any other way any time soon as it simply puts the Slash 4x4 into beast mode. I run 2.8 Trenchers and 17/54 gearing and its pretty wicked on 3s. Will probably pick up a 4s one day just for insanity but I think it's probably the best bang for the buck combo available.
    X-Maxx - 8S Castle XLX/2028

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    In a Slash 4x4 I would just get the Sidewinder system, out of those 2. El Sob was correct about the vehicle weight being a factor. The Sidewinder system is good until like 8 pounds and the MM2 like 13 pounds. Your Slash weighs about 5 pounds. 6 pounds if you have a bunch of upgrades. Tad2phreak runs the Sidewinder 8th and has no troubles at all out of it.

Just a thought... but have you seen this?

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXETYK&P=ML

$99.00 if you have the $10 coupon. I don't have any personal experience with it, but it looks like a nice system.

RC Qualifier
    A place where I have food, shelter, shower, water, bed and internet
    how about a hobbywing quicrun system? Or Dynamite RC Tazer/Fuze
    Sl4sh, Arrma Talion, Stamp4de, Castle, MIP, RPM

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jelle318 View Post
    how about a hobbywing quicrun system?
    That's pretty much what that is in my link... just re-stickered for Tower Hobbies.

I have both motors and actually put the sv8 motor into my erebe, the motors look the same, slight difference in lenght but will meassure it when I get home. A part from the fined heat sink, I beleived they will perform the same.

I got the 2200 traxxas motor so will swap the green motor from my ereb over to test it out too and try my xl2 1/5 esc in while I put my mm2 in the slash probably or another erebe.

Yeah it was never clear for me the difference between the MMP and SV8, apparently the MMP has better tunibilty features and is not water proof, the MM2 is just a stronger esc then the two
    Last edited by Jezza; 06-16-2015 at 06:38 AM.
    Live life to the fullest

the mm2 can handle the gearing for high speed runs better than the SW8 can. I had a SW8 and i felt like it was very similiar to the mmp. It got hot alot quicker than my mm2s did when i was running truggies and high speed setups.

The motors, for me were identical.
    One mans garbage is another mans ungarbage" -Ricky