RC Champion

Spec class racing!!

Joined the RC club here. First race ever and wow did I have a blast. Truck came in today just in time for the first race. Came 3rd in qualifier and I believe 5th in Main (lots of roll overs in main). Time to install the LCG chassis and some tweaks. Any recommendations fellas, rules are, stock fronts only, rear tires blockades. No modifying motor. Any TRX or RPM upgrade for the slash. Stock diff. Stock electronics. Stock box weight. Any race legal body with no holes.

Few shots from the night that my wife took.

R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

Great pics!

I have never raced, so can't really comment on legal upgrades. But if you don't have the gtr shocks, I'd get them and springs you can play around with.

Also, which truck did you get?
    R/C Sith Lord

RC Racer
    You may want to check into legal bodies. Pro-line and Jconcepts make bodies that are ROAR legal and designed to have holes cut in them. They really help with parachuting. Also try playing with the suspension. Changing shock oil can make a big difference as well.

RC Champion

Spec class racing!!

Quote Originally Posted by TK 10 View Post
    Great pics!

I have never raced, so can't really comment on legal upgrades. But if you don't have the gtr shocks, I'd get them and springs you can play around with.

Also, which truck did you get?
    I got the brushed slash, newest model with 2075 servo. My first brushed truck, was very fun and close racing. I'm in the middle of moving and all our stuff will be up here on the 15th. First thing I'm doing is the LCG chassis then when my stuff gets here, I'll be throwing on aluminum shock caps, 50wt in the front and 40rear. I also have a flowtek body I'll find out if I can run it which I'm sure I can.

Bought a rc8 for the e-buggy class. And also gonna race 4x4 SC.

RC Champion
    Video from the night of racing a member made.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=FRS_PbM_9YE

RC Champion

Spec class racing!!

Made it out tonight to throw some laps down. Installed the LCG chassis and different springs. No roll overs and noticeably faster especially in the corners. Didn't do lap times but I'm guessing minimum 5 seconds faster on my lap times. Getting to know the track to. I'll be a contender for top spot in the next race hehehe
    Last edited by Stephan81; 05-08-2015 at 11:13 PM.

RC Racer
    There are a million little things you can do to these trucks that are "legal". It all really depends on how closely they look during tech.

I'm sending you a PM as I don't care to get into a typical forum argument here.

RC Champion

Spec class racing!!

Got your pm awesome, thank you very much for the tips. Some good info there. I'll think of you when I'm on the podium lol I still got a big grin from being out on the track, most fun ive ever had rcing and this is with a brushed slash, considering I'm used to big power systems. I can't wait to get my rc8e running and once my 3 slash 4x4's get here, getting rid of 2 to fund another racer, going to go nitro buggy, our tracks built for those and well after watching them run, wow.

At first I was trying to air out a lot of jumps, practicing yesterday, I did the opposite with the exception of a few doubles and tables. Mainly focusing on my speed in corners, and straights and working on keeping the wheels on the ground and wide open. Much faster. Line choice is huge to. I've had about 30minutes on the track and really starting to know the good lines.
    Last edited by Stephan81; 05-09-2015 at 11:10 AM.

RC Qualifier
    i have 2 slash that are built to race in the mod classes at the lhs track also have a e buggy and a 2wd 1/10 buggy and may be an other 1/10 buggy coming in the mail one slash started as a slash and the other started as a chassis
    Kyosho Inferno VE, Anza Slash, Rustler VXL

RC Champion

Spec class racing!!

Alright second round down, good night of racing and a good turn out. Changes done since last race in previous posts. And my results show it What a blast. 2nd/3rd/ and 2nd in Amain.

Back to playing with shock oils. going to try and stiffen up the truck a little and lower it a smidge. 0 for toe. See how that goes. I'm gaining in corners and fall back a little in straights. Which since racing I've noticed my lipos might be a little weak, never really noticed bashing. I don't have the punch I did the first 3-4 laps, not a huge difference but I notice it. Time to get a couple new lipos I'm thinking. Ones I have are not used often but a few years old.
    Last edited by Stephan81; 05-14-2015 at 12:07 AM.

RC Champion

Spec class racing!!

Another round down, mayhem. Lol. Lots of trucks out there on the track and I got a poor start and got ran over and flipped in first corner. Slowly reeled them all in and 2nd in Amain. Leader was 20 seconds ahead (1/2 a lap).

So far: lcg setup, 40wt front and 50rear, thick spacer in rear and 2 thins in front I believe. Blockades in the rear, bumped up my pinion to a 19t, went and practiced and its handling better and noticeably quicker. Loving this spec class lol, I enjoy it more than my 1/8 buggy. I'm going to move the rear body post up to eliminate body rub , fronts not rubbing. That's about it. There's is tons more I could do that no one would notice but I want to stay within the rules and not cheat as the rules are pretty limiting. Looking forward to this Sunday with the changes

RC Champion

Spec class racing!!

Practice yesterday. Fastest lap 36.5 as compared to my fastest last week 40.9. looking at race results and the fastest 2wd mod was 37.7. 1/8 buggys are running in the 29-31 range. Not to shabby if you ask me, puts a smile on my face passing all these brushless trucks in practice LOL. Even the hobbyshop/track owner had a chuckle and said wow that's fast
    Last edited by Stephan81; 05-28-2015 at 03:00 PM.

RC Champion
    Clean sweep this weekend races. 1-1-1 and 1st in Amain. Fastest lap 35.4. Dominated and had 3 people ask me my setup. I gladly told them lol. Someone was saying " he can wheelie on demand ". Not at all, hitting a jump a certain way not letting off on the throttle back tires hit first on a slight downhill = wheelie lol. Tightened slipper a tad. Not making any more changes, now I'm gonna concentrate on my rc8 now and the 2 SC trucks. Just waiting on my DX4s so I can run my rc8 as I sold all my Traxxas radios last week.

RC Racer
    Good job buddy. I just finished a series race at my local track. Ended up 3rd in points to get on the podium. I'm fully mod though. Tekin 10.5 and rs gen 2 with spektrum controller with avc. The racing bug hit me hard. Traxxas can compete. Good luck in the future.

RC Champion
    Nice good job civichatch88 practice tonight and the best I could do no matter how well I did was in the high 37s. I think the motors dying, I got a spare I'll use in heat 1 and then swap next race to see difference.

Quote Originally Posted by Basher 1 View Post
    There are a million little things you can do to these trucks that are "legal". It all really depends on how closely they look during tech.

I'm sending you a PM as I don't care to get into a typical forum argument here.
    I've never raced a spec class and certainly not looking for an argument as I have no ammunition if you will.
    My question is simple, if the truck is "legal" why would one be concerned with how closely they look it over during tech.
    When I raced 2wd the rules where quite simple, nothing over 4 pole 4000kv, 2s limit and the wheel track, I cant really remember exactly what it was 11.?", other then this they didn't really care what you did or raced unless you came in first, at this point they looked a bit closer.
    This was something I never worried about since besides 5 laps heat races I never won.
    Feel free to pm me if you prefer, maybe its just the wording I dont understand.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.