RC poster

Battery mAh question.

I have a merv and I'm using the stock nimh 1200mAh battery that came with it and I am wondering what would be a good size battery to get. Should I get a 2400mAh or something higher/lower?

RC Champion
    If you are talking nimh, 1600 mah is the biggest that will fit.
    talking 2 cell lipo, 2000-2200mah is as big as will fit comfortably. ..

Either way, you will wanted to get two and run them in paralell, for double the capacity.
    Dacaur

RC Enthusiast
    I have a couple 2500 lips from SPC and they fit with a tiny bit of trimming on the battery door.

RC poster
    Ok, I have 2 of the 1200mAh 7.2v, that I am already running in parallel, they get really hot, like burn you hot.

Quote Originally Posted by BOO5TED View Post
    I have a couple 2500 lips from SPC and they fit with a tiny bit of trimming on the battery door.
    ^I have 3 of these and they're great!
    http://spcracingbatteries.com/index....&product_id=54

I don't run them parallel or series. One is fine for such a small car.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by wormy41 View Post
    Ok, I have 2 of the 1200mAh 7.2v, that I am already running in parallel, they get really hot, like burn you hot.
    Yep, the little 1200mah nimh packs are really not up to the task of brushless motors. They work, but they get hot. Driving in grass will get them even hotter, because the motor is asking more from them then they can supply. You can live with them getting hot, go with 1600mah nimh packs, which wont get quite as hot, or upgrade to lipo, which ARE up the the task if brushless motors....

Also, its always better to run two in parallel. Its easier on the batteries (they will stay cooler), you will get higher performance and longer runtimes. The only reason to run just one battery, is if you only HAVE one battery....
    Dacaur

RC Racer
    Plus one on the spc batteries. I have a set of 2 s and a set of 3s. Just to tell you a little about their durability. I had my set of 2s plugged in parallel when I lost truck woth it on. It say for 6 weeks in the snow and freezing rain when I found it it turned on and drive home. The batteries wouldn't hold charge very well for a couple weeks but now they are as good as they were when I got them used. Maybe better.
    Last edited by kemmonlee; 06-21-2015 at 09:08 AM. Reason: Put in wrong information

RC poster
    Thanks for all the info guys, my merv is brushed (titan 550). This is the only page I could find with my merv. so with that said what do you guys think would help it. I am also wanting to change the gears, I would like more power, not so much speed, what would be the best setup. I drive it in grass, on gravel and the asphalt at times.

RC Champion
    what you want for grass is lower gearing. I am pretty sure the brushed version comes with a 26t pinion, so I would say go down to a 23t or even a 19t. You will lose some top speed on-road, but gain a LOT of acceleration, as well as get longer runtime, especialy in the grass, your top speed in grass will probably go up too with the lower gearing. and your nimh batteries wont get nearly as hot.

The best upgrade you could do though is a brushless VXL system for it. You can get one on ebay for around $100 including the motor and ESC, then you would just need a motor mount, which you can get for about $10 (including shipping)
    Dacaur

RC Enthusiast
    Brushed stock gearing is 23/50

RC Champion
    Ah, ok, thanks. I couldn't find it. In that case I would say go down to a 19t for grass....
    Dacaur