RC Qualifier

Whats the deal with the rear wheel bearings?

I have heard a few other guys complain, now I am in the same boat. I just replaced them maybee 5 runs ago, now there wiped out again.

2x4 vxl 2s lipo stock everything.

Have you replaced both front and rear bushings to bearings.?

If not then make sure you haven even set ups, to eliminate all possibilities of unbalnced performance.

Also keep in mind that bearings too neef regular maintenance, I have never had bearing failures on two 2wd pedes I had that ran straight for two years each before I got rid of them.

So you eithetr openn the seal, clean them with wd40 and re grease them or replace them as uou can get good quality ones at a reasoble price. I have used ones from my lhs, not sure what brand with orange seals with no complaints. Lots of people will recommend fast eddy's.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    What bearings are you using? All bearings are not created equal.

from firsthand experience, I thought that $1 a bearing (which is pretty much what they cost each from all the reputable companies) was too expensive.... so I found some that looked great on eBay, ended up being like $0.50 each......

the eBay ones were trash... and literally disintegrated pretty quickly.... the $1 each bearings I replaced them with from Fast Eddy, are still going strong

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    What bearings are you using? All bearings are not created equal.

from firsthand experience, I thought that $1 a bearing (which is pretty much what they cost each from all the reputable companies) was too expensive.... so I found some that looked great on eBay, ended up being like $0.50 each......

the eBay ones were trash... and literally disintegrated pretty quickly.... the $1 each bearings I replaced them with from Fast Eddy, are still going strong
    I'm in that same situation right now. The cheap ones are enticing. How can you tell the good ones from the bad ones when looking for some to purchase?

RC Qualifier
    I use Avid with good success. You can buy a kit with all the bearings for your pede or just individuals. $1/bearing.
    Slash 4x4, E-Revo, Stampede 2wd (3 of them)

Is there any play in the carriers when the bearings are installed?
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Champion
    half pack with grease and the other light oil ( 3 in 1 ) and use the shims.

I'm on the same boat as jezza, my bearings last forever
    summit /mustang /stampede-2s spc lipo

RC Competitor
    Where you run can greatly reduce bearing life. Water, sand, especially at the beach are very hard on bearings. For off road I only use rubber sealed bearings and I get descent life, but I don't regularly run in water or in sand. If they do get wet,I dry with compressed air and put a drop of lightweight oil on each side and spin to get the oil to seep past the seal.
    I don't remove the seals to clean, I just replace when they start to get gritty. You can find descent rubber sealed bearings fairly cheap these days and to me, it isn't worth the effort. I have !limited time and there are many other ways I would rather spend my time than disassembling and cleaning bearings.

Also, if there is one place to use high quality bearings it is the motor. That is one place I never try to save a buck.

+1 Ive had a bearing fail in my motor. If i didnt notice it when i did, it likely would have costed me a new motor. Since then, i run Boca Bearings' hybrid ceramics in my motor and havnt had an issue since. All other bearings on my truck are $1 avids. They arent so critical so i dont mind the cheaper bearings here.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

RC poster
    We have never replaced the bushings on our Stampede, but recently decided it's time to go to bearings. I purchased two sets: one set of Abec3 from Extreme Hobbies for approximately $1 each, the other is a set of no-name Chinese bearings for 37 cents each. Once they have arrived, the plan is to do a three way comparison of each. Clearly, this will be a short term comparison only, but I will make a note to compare longevity in the end as well.

In what specific ways should we compare them? My son suggested the simple "hand spin" test and a speed test with gps. Any other thoughts? Seriously, even though we've been at this for five years, we still consider ourselves newbies so share any thoughts with us. We will document our findings and report back.

Do you have access to precision measuring equipment? A dial gauge is really all you need to measure play.

Maybe run the truck off the ground at a set throttle and for a set time and see how hot each bearing gets. Heat is a good indicator of rolling resistance.

Weight the 2 of them with a scale.

Im just throwing stuff out there. Im sure you and your son will have a blast no matter what tests your running.
    10 RCs and counting 😅

RC poster
    Great ideas. I will try to incorporate all of them. As you mentioned, we just plan to have fun with the process no matter the outcome. I don't think many will care about the results, but that won't take away from the fun we have.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    So I replace bearings often, but I abuse my rigs.....

And my wheels are ridiculously bent... I keep the most bent ones on the rear, as it doesn't effect the steering as bad