RC poster

My Alias Landing Gear with 808 #16 V3 with instructions

Hi guys just wanted to share my Alias Landing Gear with my 808 #16 V3 Camera. I posted the basic blue prints so if anyone wants to do this the info is here.

This came about after receiving 3 different Taxxas 6660 Cameras all with the same problem & yet some with different ones. The problems I had were pink lines, whites lines, video freezing, audio interference, 2kb corrupt file. I must ask Traxxas has a nice picture & good idea but falls short with the problems I mentioned. I NEVER had any crashes & everything was in perfect working order. It's the cameras that are the problem because the run off of the electric system of the Alias. DON'T let ANYONE tell you different!

Anyway check out the pictures. The landing gear with camera weights 35.4g. The camera weights 17.9g vs Traxxas at 15.5g. The Alias flies much more stable & my indoor run time was 8:47 minutes. Out door in mild wind was 7:08 minutes & in heavy wind 6:47 minutes. I'm not into doing flips or fast flying so.

Last edited by TheButcher69; 06-21-2015 at 12:40 AM.

RC poster
    You need to double the 2 way tape under the "U" shaped backet. 1 full piece & 1 3/16" wide piece on top of the full piece to get the angle on the camera. The USB port is useable while the camera is mounted on the Alias no need to take it off to hook up to computer. The memory card is also easy to get out.

RC poster
    Here some video footage. The 2nd one I used youtube stabilizer software because it was very windy & that gave a jello effect. The first one is not edited. And I'm not very good at flying yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5ShPR7ywi8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KZPsVSzAzBs

RC Qualifier
    So moving the camera away from the quad fixed the problems or is it a different camera? Don

The 808 v3 used is a keychain camera.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC poster
    Hi Don no the Traxxas 6660 was just returned & I won't buy anymore nor would I recommend it. My brother also has the same 2kb corrupt problem & his blue light on the camera flickers & sometimes won't turn on. He hasn't run a full pack to see about the lines yet but he bought his in Feb. so unfortunately he's stuck with it.

The 808 #16 V3 is a keychain camera with it's own replaceable battery that you can get with a 70 degree "A" Lens 78 degree "B" Lens & a 120 degree "D" Lens. You can adjust the exposer, white balance, contrast, saturation, & color. You want to make sure you use a Class 4 up to a 32gb sdhd mirco sd card with it. Kingston is the preferred card but my PNY works. DON'T use Sandisk they have the most problems with this camera.

ONLY buy off trusted dealers as there are fakes out there & the quality isn't as good. And make sure your getting the #16 V3 which is the newest. You can buy lens & stuff to upgrade it when the camera is updated. Prices are around $4 to $8 for upgrade parts. Extra batteries are $7.99 It also has video out so you can do FVP. The maker of the 808 is the same maker as the Mobius although the Mobius has a better picture.

The 808 has a GUI software & is PNP. It records in .MOV but can record in .AVI but the quality is the same.

You can find out more info here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1556994

Trusted dealers are: eletoponline365 (China); digitalele889 (China); novotm (U.S.-MA); MassiveRC (U.S.-FL); Webbex (U.K.); JooVuu (UK); Revotech (CZ)

I don't sell these cameras nor do I get any money for promoting them. I'm just trying to help out others with the same problems I had & save your money on shipping back to Traxxas just to have the same problems. If you have any other questions just ask.

Next I will be looking into brushless motors from a Blade because at 40 to 50 runs with Traxxas motors & at $40 is just crazy! The hobby is suppose to be fun not break the bank.

Here's a video showing all 3 lens. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=euJlH6HIh9c
    Last edited by TheButcher69; 06-21-2015 at 01:48 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I was itching to try my new alias with a little spy cam I had lying around and it worked fine except there was a lot of interference lines across it when the motors started up but the potential is there to improve on that. These little 808 cams, do they have interference issues at all? thanks for the inspiration though

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by roscored View Post
    I was itching to try my new alias with a little spy cam I had lying around and it worked fine except there was a lot of interference lines across it when the motors started up but the potential is there to improve on that. These little 808 cams, do they have interference issues at all? thanks for the inspiration though
    Hi roscored No the 808 does not have these problems. I will post my new setup. You can also view my 808 videos too.

New setup for $5.02

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIfSD8GRuP0

Ariel footage 808 #16 V3 (Buy ONLY from authorized dealer)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f42yFoSpUqM

Traxxas Camera for comparison. (Notice the poor audio & the static lines. It's because they're brushed motors & the camera runs off the same battery. The Traxxas motors only lasted 41 flights. For $40 for 4 motors that's a little more then a $1.00 a flight. And I basically hover for Ariel footage)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rvglPgi0QQM
    Last edited by TheButcher69; 07-19-2015 at 01:46 AM.

RC Enthusiast
    HHMMMMMMM You have got me thinking now about a better camera either the 808 or the mobius. Thanks

RC poster
    roscored the mobius is a better camera but is much heavier weighing in at 38g without any attachments. Also it's much larger so you will need taller landing gear. The bigger suction cups weigh in at 6.6g each. Your Alias will lift the Mobius & there are people using it & land on the camera but IMO I think it's too heavy & will shorten the motor life.

RC Enthusiast
    Ok thanks for that, I was playing around last night with sticking some foam on to the rubber bumpers and then thought maybe a large dob of silicon could be used, so I gave that a try and it gives me about 3/8" or 5mm lift and a little extra bump protection. I havent looked into the suction cups, I am sure there is something here in Australia I can use.

RC poster
    Your Welcome! I'm sure there is! Best of luck!

RC Enthusiast
    I went with the 808 so it should turn up next week. now to look closer at how you have mounted yours. the video link I sent is now public so easier to view it is pretty wobbly but the 808 should get around that.

RC poster
    I think you made the right choice. I didn't see your video link. Where's it at? If you need pictures of mine I will post them for you. Just let me know if the video I did don't show up good enough.

RC Enthusiast
    I PMed the link to you, now have to replace some motors only after about 15 batteries! thought I would get some new bearings as well.

RC poster
    Oh Ok thanks! Yep all the motors SUCK for the Alias! I spoke to Traxxas about making brushless but they said they'd be expensive. At this point I got 41 flights & you got 15 batteries & 4 motors cost $40 I'd rather spend it on motor that'll last but I guess you'd need a new motherboard too? Fun ok product but VERY disappointing at the same time! At least lower the cost of the motors to like $10 for 4 you know it's not costing them anywhere near $40 to make them especial being made in China.

RC Enthusiast
    Hi I finally got my 808 today and promptly strapped it on and took it flying up to about 120feet and then realised it was over a tall tree and the battery was a flat one...oops! Lets just say these things are tough and it managed to crash to the ground and keep recording lucky it wasnt stuck in the tree. Now to find a better way to strap it on and get a full battery. cheers

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by roscored View Post
    Hi I finally got my 808 today and promptly strapped it on and took it flying up to about 120feet and then realised it was over a tall tree and the battery was a flat one...oops! Lets just say these things are tough and it managed to crash to the ground and keep recording lucky it wasnt stuck in the tree. Now to find a better way to strap it on and get a full battery. cheers
    Thank God for that! I almost lost mine on a high bridge.

RC Enthusiast
    Just want to comment on this OLD post ... Does the LaTrax Alias camera weigh 15.5g? I think that's what @TheButcher69 was saying. I saw a 20g camera ... wonder if 4.5g makes a major difference

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by mmwine View Post
    Just want to comment on this OLD post ... Does the LaTrax Alias camera weigh 15.5g? I think that's what @TheButcher69 was saying. I saw a 20g camera ... wonder if 4.5g makes a major difference
    Hi mmwine I think the Traxxas camera weighed 15.5g so if the camera you seen weighed 20g you need to factor in the mounting weight to hold it on so you are surely going to be heavy & reduce flight time & the way it flies & wear motors out quickly. The above mounting gear did not work good. Please see my new setup here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rIfSD8GRuP0