RC Racer

Trying to keep the temps down.

I'm trying to keep the temps down in my stampede 4x4 VXL. I have a Outerwear's filter over the chassis. I feel like it is keeping in some extra heat. I have a fan on my esc and a heat sink with dual fans on my motor. I one of those temperature readers to check temps. My motor temp is around 150 degrees F. And my esc is around 120 degrees F. Is there any suggestions on how to keep the temps down lower? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    Traxxas Stampede 4x4 VXL, Traxxas Electric 4Tec

What kind of ambient temps? According to most here 150/120 is nothing to be concerned about. What kind of terrain? What batteries? What gearing? That cover will hold heat but your temps aren't horrible.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC Qualifier
    Gearing determines temps. As Dcuda said, those temps are just fine and nothing to be worried about. If you want lower temps, gear down a couple teeth on the pinion or install a spur gear with more teeth.

RC Racer
    Update I took the temps after I just ran it a couple of mins ago the temps where, esc- 154 degrees F. Motor- 180 degrees F.

RC Competitor
    Gearing???? 2s or 3s???

The outerwear cover could be part of the problem. Also make sure the fans are working properly. If they aren't working perfectly then take them off. 180 is alarming and possibly damaging. 170 I'd just alarming. 160 is uncomfortable. 150 is ok. I try to run about 140 to 150.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

Quote Originally Posted by rc maniac View Post
    Update I took the temps after I just ran it a couple of mins ago the temps where, esc- 154 degrees F. Motor- 180 degrees F.
    i'm with jimdog... 180 is more than i'm comfortable with. shrouds are great for keeping your machine nice and clean and brutal for airflow so i'd consider ditching it when you're running in dry conditions. i only have used mine in snow in which the temps are low enough that it doesn't cause grief to my motor/esc.
    sl4sh 2200 / p4de 2400

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by rc maniac View Post
    I'm trying to keep the temps down in my stampede 4x4 VXL. I have a Outerwear's filter over the chassis. I feel like it is keeping in some extra heat. I have a fan on my esc and a heat sink with dual fans on my motor. I one of those temperature readers to check temps. My motor temp is around 150 degrees F. And my esc is around 120 degrees F. Is there any suggestions on how to keep the temps down lower? Any help would be appreciated, thanks!
    Why would you want these temps any lower? If these are your temp readings at the end of a long run, its pretty much perfect.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by mikekoz68 View Post
    Why would you want these temps any lower? If these are your temp readings at the end of a long run, its pretty much perfect.
    Read my update temps

RC Racer
    I was thinking about buying a roll cage and driving it with just the roll car and not the body, so it gets more airflow.

RC Racer
    Still hard to have any input when you still havent given us any info on gearing and batteries.
    Stampede 4X4 2700kv
    Xmaxx (stock)

Quote Originally Posted by troyhebert View Post
    Still hard to have any input when you still havent given us any info on gearing and batteries.
    That's what I was thinking....I asked all those questions 20 min after his 1st post 2 days ago and still haven't seen the answers. Oh well.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl