RC Competitor

Tires opinions these days?

I've found quite a few articles about tires for a stampede, but they look a bit dated. The most recent that I've found say trenchers are the tire to use for general bashing. I drive on grass or the street. If I could find dirt I'd add that, but so far I don't have any dirt on my list. Are trenchers the way to go for that or is there anything else you'd recommend? The only reason I even ask before buying is I've read instances of folks flipping on cement with trenchers because of too much traction!

I like the mashers.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    I like the mashers.
    Do they wear well on pavement? I looked at them as well, but the tread made me wonder if they would wear down quickly with on road driving.

Mine are a year and a half old. They have had a fair bit of on road driving.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    trenchers, mashers, or super swampers are all great choices, I would go with a 2.8" wheel size, and get CLOSED CELL foam inserts if possible

Lots of people put duct tape in their tires to prevent ballooning.

If I were to do a set right now, I would get the Super Swampers with closed cell inserts

RC Champion
    My new fav is 2.8 gladiators on f11 17mm 2.8 wheels. They wear a little quick though on pavement. Trenchers are very good as well. No matter what tire you use you'll be flipping over until you set the truck up right to minimize it.

Trenchers, badlands, mashers, gladiators. All have done me well.
    R4lly GT8 | Backsl4sh | Sl4sh MT | Sl4sh | P4de

RC Racer
    The super swampers are good in the sc size.. But not better than mudslingers (duh)

Trenchers perform great on road for a tire that seems to be designed for off road work. I like the Super Swampers just a tad better because they balloon less than the Trenchers.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by Petertje60 View Post
    Trenchers perform great on road for a tire that seems to be designed for off road work. I like the Super Swampers just a tad better because they balloon less than the Trenchers.
    are either taped? Also are you running regular foams or the cloosed cells?

Although I haven't done it yet, I really think thee swampers and clsed cell foams will be a pretty awesome combo

Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    are either taped? Also are you running regular foams or the cloosed cells?

Although I haven't done it yet, I really think thee swampers and clsed cell foams will be a pretty awesome combo
    I taped a set of Talons once. Since that was not a success, I decided to not do that again. So both untaped.
    I think only the Swampers came with closed cell foams, but I'm not 100% sure. The Trenchers are just a bit softer than the Swampers anyhow.
    The F11/Swampers combo works great for me so far.
    Nobody is born with experience

RC Competitor
    Hrmmm...I'm starting to lean towards swampers, thanks for all the input guys.

RC Racer
    i jus got the swampers ordered from amazon an they came with the blue closed cell foam. They are a little wider than the mashers and close in hight. they look huge though lol. ill be putting them on rpm 17mm revolvers. i also tried the 2.8 dirt hags and i didnt like them i thought they were too small looking but had good grip.
    Last edited by hobbyrific; 06-26-2015 at 03:14 PM.

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    wikkedj, I've said this lots: tire choice depends entirely on terrain.

For grass: 2.8" Pro-Line Badlands.
    For tarmac: 2.8" JConcepts G-Locs.

For the do-all/master-of-none: Pro-Line Trenchers.

Just my $0.02.
    Obstacle Magnet

I vote for badlands and g locs also. Just way better than one set of tires could ever be

RC Competitor
    Do the swampers with the blue cell foam gallon on 3s? I thought I read somewhere they didn't really need the tape trick.

Quote Originally Posted by traxxmaxxoregon View Post
    Do the swampers with the blue cell foam gallon on 3s? I thought I read somewhere they didn't really need the tape trick.
    they all balloon, they're just saying they do it less than trenchers do. considering non-taped trenchers are still usable on 3s i imagine swampers would be fine too.
    sl4sh 2200 / p4de 2400

If you mount your wheels and tires go for trenchers and use closed cell foams and they will be sweet even for speed runs.my choice for all rounders are trenchers too but if you are running mud and grass its badlands all the way...peace
    Famous last words...watch this!!!!

RC poster
    hi everyone,
    i'm new on the forum, after a first disaster with an hpi bullet, one run one break or more, decided to join traxxas p4de clan...
    after watching my mate lipo after lipo with no failure...

So I'm looking in to 2.2 mud slingers 2 xl on 2.2 rpm wide crawler wheels, does anyone have an opinion or tested this combo ?
    even though the terrain would be most grass and jumping, would these tires be good, i just love the look !
    their weight worries me a bit 147g each without the rim, will this create an issue ?

thanks for your reply's

I understand the whole aesthetics thing, but if we're talkin' 'bout performance on turf, Pro-Line Badlands are hard to beat.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Competitor
    I thing the soft compound will be a problem!!! At high speed, those tires will balooning a lot.

RC poster
    OK jvogel, i heard you, thanks for the reply, those are my second choice tires, i realise the badlands are better, but wanted some feedback on the mudslingers...

Cool. I'm thinking similarly to you. I'm working on (procrastinating) putting my JConcept Rocx on RPM wide offset wheels for my P4de. Juuuuust to do a tad bit of rock bouncing.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Qualifier
    I am wondering if anyone here is trying the new proline 2.8 primes for a road tire? I also wonder if anyone has tried taping the foams as opposed to the tires, we used to do this with the baja 5b and it worked pretty well until hostile brought out the 'zero growth' foams.
    40+ RC's, 4 = Traxxas. Doing this since the 80's.