RC Competitor

Off-Road Jato 18TZ

Here is my off-road jato with an 18z in it and too many other mods to list. Just got a new body and haven't painted it yet. The body is gonna be red, silver and black just not sure of design yet.
    It is wicked fast and running it on O'Donnel 30%
    What do you think? Also if you have any questions go ahead.

Gear Down!
    on such high RPM TZ & big tires for off road.
    Slash PE & Ja-two.

RC Competitor
    I am running 20/58 gearing so It is not stock gearing and before these tires I had on some badlands that were the same diameter and it was about the perfect acceleration and top speed and didn't abuse the clutch any. Stock gearing is 24/54 for reference.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by baxterdogy247 View Post
    I am running 20/58 gearing.
    i would say that is a pretty good ratio for an off road jato. good selection, any videos of it running around in the dirt?

i personaly would run a little less toe-in, in the rear, looks to be about 5-7 degrees total which is alot, i normaly run about 1.5-2.5, too much causes the rear tires to fight one another to go straight. so its kind of counter productive at that point because it can CAUSE traction-loss. front toe i useualy have about 1 or 1.5-2 degree toe OUT for better turn in. and camber 2-3.5 degree negitive F\R depending on track conditions and how it feels in a turn.
    Last edited by mxaustin; 07-02-2015 at 03:22 PM.
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

RC Racer
    I'm using the duratrax lockup C2's on my truggy, they are meaty. Are the fronts 12mm hex? I cant believe the stock brakes are holding up with the over-sized tires. Will it lock the wheels?

RC Competitor
    I ordered the 3 degree toe in tie bar for the back and the brakes will lock up the tires just fine. I have the fuel tubing instead of the stock spring and am also thinking about getting an 18 tooth clutch bell to run with for the track that I am building. I have a really short video of it running on gravel that I will try to upload. The front are like the stock with the bearings in the wheel.
    Last edited by baxterdogy247; 07-04-2015 at 10:50 AM.

RC Competitor
    Here is the video. I think it was shifting really early in this video.
    https://youtu.be/DGoM8BXfHq8

RC Champion
    that does sound pretty early, and what i believe dirt_jato was meaning to say, the stock brakes on the jatos have many issues with brake fade and power. normaly this is more so on road because of easing into the brakes trying to slow down, it is still noticable on dirt, usualy when on a track when applying the brakes constantly, not so much on speed runs because you will apply full brakes at once to stop, insted of easing into them like on a road or track.

RC Competitor
    Ok we will get to see once i get done with the track. Might be a while though.. It is going to be 60x132 feet big.

RC Champion
    The HR dual rotor set up is the way to go on braking

RC Competitor
    I may get the dual brake set up not sure. I did a lot of running today with a lot of braking and easing into the brakes and they were working good. The motor was running nice and cool and running super fast... Then it came skidding to a stop and would not move and the engine would rev up and try to move it but it remained still. I rolled it backwards some and it freed the wheels up, then when it rolled it would make a clicking sound from the tranny. Looks like i am going to get some hot racing hardened gears. I did keep running it for another tank because I was at a friends house and figured that if its just the tranny I can't mess it up too bad. It ran the last tank fine with just some clicking. I will tear it down and check it out once I get done doing the ultimate rustler project to my rustler. My workbench is covered.

RC Champion
    Mine did that once aswell I had a bad oneway bearing inside the trans. If the trans was cold it was okay but after a few minuets it would stop accelerating and roll to a stop. And just free rev

RC Competitor
    My engine wouldn't free rev because something was locked up in there. The engine would rev until the clutch engaged and then load down because it was stuck. Im guessing it is some gear or something.

RC Competitor
    Good news is I got the body painted and upon further inspection the spur gear and clutch bell are torn up a little bit and that was my problem yesterday. I am not sure why it did it but some of the teeth are torn up.

RC Racer
    What starter box are you using for that TZ?

RC Racer
    Very nice looking truck, what body is that?