RC poster

Brand new to RCs

So I picked up a new Stampede vxl brushless last night to start a new hobby with my two boys (ages 7 and 4). Today I learned the hard way that it goes way too fast for a 4 year old. After doing gsome looking into it (and replacement aluminum steering blocks) I've decided to purchase the traxxas link, but all of the forums and literature I've seen don't really explain it very well and it's left me a bit confused. So here are my questions.
    #1 - I keep reading that the traxxas link module does not connect to your phone via bluetooth. If this is true, what does it connect to?
    #2 - to start off, the only thing I want to be able to do is qyickly change the max speed using the training mode or driver profiles in the link app. Can I do this with just the link module and app?
    #3 - what else would I have to purchase to achieve this?

Assuming you have the new tqi controller you will only need to buy the Bluetooth module that goes in the back of the transmitter.
    I use it when my daughter wants to drive my rusty vxl. Works great. Once I got more into it I started to play with some of the other features and drive effects.

Oh yeah, and download the app to your phone. It's free.

RC poster
    #1 There are two different types of traxxas TQi radios, one with a red colored style, the other (newer) one is blue.
    The red TQi with docking base is for Apple iPhone 3GS, iPods and some later devices with the older and larger connector, Apple upgraded to a newer and smaller connector and older versions of the Traxxas Link Application are not supplied by the App Store, that is where the problems start. With an iPhone 3G, you are not able to install or upgrade to the latest version because it is not designed for iOS 4.2.1.

The blue TQi has a module bay on the back to install the bluetooth module which is compatible with Android 4.4 and iOS, it connects to Android as well Apple devices (mobile phones and tablets) over bluetooth. I have read about some problems that an incoming call can destroy your radio, use flight mode and deactivate wireless network to be on the safe side.
    Using the blue TQi with Traxxas link app will require firmware update for radio and receiver or the app will not work. Make sure your device and ALL batteries are charged before attempting to update and use flight mode for update too.

#2 The training mode is a feature of the radio, in order to get full advantage of all functions, you need to connect a device with Traxxas Link.
    Maybe you can set the training mode over the radio menu and set button, take a look in the manual for the radios menu tree and settings.
    What ESC are you using? Note that you eventually can set the ESC punch control to middle or maximum very quickly on the fly with the radio what results in more gentle acceleration.

#3 depending on what you already have (TQi, mobile phone or tablet) the TQi bluetooth module and the free Traxxas Link App (Play Store, App Store).

Hope this helps you out, good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by RJRevo View Post

I have read about some problems that an incoming call can destroy your radio, use flight mode and deactivate wireless network to be on the safe side.
    Using the blue TQi with Traxxas link app will require firmware update for radio and receiver or the app will not work. Make sure your device and ALL batteries are charged before attempting to update and use flight mode for update too.
    I've been running the bluetooth and app since it came out and I have
    never had a problem with answering the phone, even while running the
    vehicle. also, I recommend leaving wifi on any time there's an update
    and make sure all batteries are up, transmitter, car and phone before
    clicking go on the update. The biggest problem in updating is an
    interruption. No need to put in flight mode as the app may still need to
    upload. I have three bluetooth transmitters and six vehicles bound
    together, all working off of one app.

I have the bluetooth radio and the app on my Android...works good. I have 2 trucks bound to this radio, each with slightly different settings. Lots better than playing with the menu buttons on the radio. With that said, you do know you can put the esc into training mode by using the set button on the esc itself(assuming you have the stock vxl esc). Instructions to do so are in the manual available right here under product support. Good luck and have fun with the kids. 2 small kids and 1 big kid sharing 1 truck? Guessing it won't be long before you add to your fleet!! lol
    Last edited by Dcuda69; 07-24-2015 at 04:50 PM.
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich2 View Post
    also, I recommend leaving wifi on any time there's an update
    and make sure all batteries are up, transmitter, car and phone before
    clicking go on the update. The biggest problem in updating is an
    interruption. No need to put in flight mode as the app may still need to
    upload.
    No, wifi is not needed for firmware update, the firmware files are stored in the Traxxad Link application, the latest firmware is always provided by updating the application.

Receiving emails or play store updates is no interruption for you? I better take care and avoid damage to my TQi.

I have both TQi Radios, with docking base and iPhone3G (still works great) and the bluetooth version for my android.

Quote Originally Posted by RJRevo View Post
    No, wifi is not needed for firmware update, the firmware files are stored in the Traxxad Link application, the latest firmware is always provided by updating the application.
    The app gets it's information from either wifi or data, I keep my data use under control.

Receiving emails or play store updates is no interruption for you? I better take care and avoid damage to my TQi.
    They don't update until I give permission. I don't get the "damage" part?

RC poster
    Not everybody is an expert in mobile devices. There are so many vendors and all customize the android firmware for their needs to match the hardware. Another point are the apps installed or running in background using system memory or access internal storage.
    For me it is very easy finding a way how I can cause android apps to crash.
    That is why I suggest staying offline.
    I can not control (and do not know) when people calling me.
    Maybe you want to test it? Switching all on, connect with traxxas link, enter telemetry and give yourself a call? I wouldn't do this...
    The app gets no data from wifi or mobile network, not on android devices with traxxas link 5.1.0.5024.
    Just causes battery drain with network, wifi, bluetooth and display on and produces more heat reducing the lifetime of the device.
    You have read the forums where people talk about TQi radios working no more, so why should you risk your good radio? Never updated my red TQi with docking base and iOS 4.2.1, but still works fine with firmware updated and non-updated receivers.
    When the firmware is written to the radio and an interruption happens (maybe android timer, an alert, a pop-up request, incoming message) the focus to the link application could be lost what would be the worst case, the app eventually doesn't know where it was stopped and can not continue. Leaving the app with home button would not be good at all while updating... :-((
    Last edited by RJRevo; 07-25-2015 at 01:11 AM.