Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boards

RC Qualifier

Boards

Is it just me or have the traxxas boards lost a lot of people? I have gone into several threads here in the last few weeks and its the same things still there for the week before. I feel like only a few of the boards seem slightly active and the rest are dead. I am sure that the cars I own are outdated now, but I just remember getting on here and reading for hours before feeling like I caught up. Now I can do it in about 10 or 15 minutes. I know a lot of factors play into people coming and going, just seems like the fastest name in radio control has slowed down a lot.
    Its now or never

It is summer time, the forums are less active.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

I had they same question but I guess ever body is busy!!!
    I am better than you!!

RC Competitor
    It's becoming a common trend across the internet. RC forums all over have been dying. RC Crawler, Savage-Central, RC Car Action, Traxxas, and RCMT.net have all seen a huge drop off in users.

I hate to say it, but I think Traxxas has had a lot to do with it. Granted, there is still plenty of custom stuff going on in this hobby thanks to the scale scene, but outside of that, I don't see anywhere near what I used to. You used to have mechanical skills as well as driving skills to participate in the RC world. Years ago, the internet was filled with guys converting electric vehicles to nitro, making Stampedes 4WD, bullet-proofing transmissions by combining stuff from several drivelines. People needed the internet and forums to help them figure all that stuff out. Modding brought interest and excitement. Modding a 2wd to 4wd, modding a nitro to electric, a road car to offroad. We are just given them now with strong gearboxes and motors that run for years. You just buy it and run it now. RTR killed the hobby but there was no stopping it, we got exactly what we wanted.
    Last edited by . . . . . . . . . .; 07-01-2015 at 01:32 PM.

I'm still on here. Ever notice the post Christmas surge?
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Champion
    yeah, mainly the kids get their new r\c's for xmas and throw away the manual, and have no idea where to start on repairs or how to start their vehicle. so they come here for us to guide them , and get frustrated because we say to read the manual that they threw away.
    Last edited by mxaustin; 07-01-2015 at 01:43 PM.
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

Instructions and receipt tend to hit the trash right away. Those who actually read the instructions cover-to-cover typically have few questions.

RC Qualifier
    I would think summer would drive the numbers up, but I am sure people are busy too. I know like someone mention the Christmas rush will always happen because people are too lazy to read. It sucks with the RTRs, but there is still some custom building going and I like knowing that. Glad someone had some insight on this
    Its now or never

RC Qualifier
    Have to agree, not much new stuff that surfaces up. Like the others said, its summer and everyone gets busy. I know we haven't been running the rc's as much lately since the temperatures have got into the triple digits. We did run about a week ago and put a battery through. Bee. Wanting to get out and race but the temperatures are a killer lately. The other day it was 108 degrees. Plus I wont do any more upgrades till winter hits again.

RC Racer
    the only super active ones I have seen on here since I joined are the Summit, Jato, Rustler/Bandit, and maybe Slash (I probably missed one in there somewhere). Everything else has been kind of slow. I do know that there is at least someone on here to give me advice when I need it, and I try to pass on things that I have learned since I got into this hobby. For years I didn't even know that this existed until I started looking to upgrade vehicles and this forum popped up.
    Hi Ho Silver Away

Being new I find most questions I have can be answered in older threads. With summer here I think most people are out running their cars. Heck, it's still light outside until almost 10 here. By the time the family wraps it up outside it's bedtime. With the oilfield being so slow these days I've got plenty of time at work *ahem* on breaks, yeah, to peruse around. Usually just mind-blown at some of the custom work being done. Some peoples attention to detail, others work from the ground up, and some who decide they wanna overpower a small chassis (kinda like putting a twin turbo V8 in a Smart car).
    Good times don't just happen.

Where the corn grows and the winter snows
    Quote Originally Posted by mxaustin View Post
    yeah, mainly the kids get their new r\c's for xmas and throw away the manual, and have no idea where to start on repairs or how to start their vehicle. so they come here for us to guide them , and get frustrated because we say to read the manual that they threw away.
    Sad but true...
    I'm not cheating! I'm just using my resources!

New models come with printed manuals?
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Turnbuckle Jr. NStampede Freak's Avatar
    Funny, I was just thinking the same thing and found this thread and it hit the nail on the head. I used to be a regular here years ago and have tons of memories of crazy things that used to be on here. I think I found the forums around late 2004 ish (wow that was a long time ago!). I can remember things from liquid cooled tmaxxes, 4WD Epedes made from two rear ends put together, and big block nitro rustlers and stampedes. Just absolute crazy stuff that made me sit and spend hours and hours reading these forums. The maxx fourms was the most busy and crazy. All sorts of custom stuff, weird creations, and just plain cool things happened. The Alley was totally crazy, remember the twinky thread? Oh man, good times.

Then in around 2010 is when I noticed things changing. Less "cool" stuff happening, nitro maxx forums began to die off. Lots more flame wars, childish behaviors, and constant repetitive questions that people could find in 2 min of google. Around this time is when I didn't come here as much due to above reasons and started in with full size cars (VW TDIs). I also have no interest in electric stuff and with nitro dieing off, there wasn't much fun in it for me.

Also, around this time traxxas is changing as well. There was really nothing "new" coming out other than the slash due to short course racing. Lots of rehashes constant model updating. Nitro guys are left in the cold. At this point I loose interest in traxxas stuff. My energy is focused on wrenching on full size cars and the RC go on the back burner. Also my life is busy now with work and college.

Fired up my nitro pede the other day and remembered these forums. Looking around, its just a lot of dead. Depressing to say the least. I feel like I can hear crickets chirping in the background. There used to be a lot of smart people that had a passion for RCs and most of them are gone. Not sure what the future is but its not looking good at the moment.
    N Stampede 2.5R
    E Stampede VXL
    Tmaxx 2.5

I don't peruse other boards but frequent Big Squid to see what is going on. Seems like a lot of the same is being released or updated and the hot items now are multi-rotors and scale trail/rock crawlers. Racing does not seem as big as it used to be, nitro can't compare to the ease and plug-n-play of brushless and prices overall have jumped quite a bit across the board; for example: a T-Maxx now costs about $60 more than when I bought one in 2008 and the Revo 3.3 costs over $100 more in the same time frame.
    Go through the Market Place here and see people trying--pleading--to sell their vehicles at low prices but very few buyers. If I had more money and time to play I would buy some of them up.
    The busyness of this forum has dropped but is still much more active than competitor's forums.
    Last edited by Double G; 07-02-2015 at 08:24 AM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    a T-Maxx now costs about $60 more than when I bought one in 2008 and the Revo 3.3 costs over $100 more in the same time frame.
    sad but true, some of it is inflation in our economy, the only bad part about that is 95% of peoples pockets arnt getting deeper theyre getting more shallow. so prices raise to counter-act not selling as many as previous years.

and even me with as much as i try to help others on here as much as i can, however i am stuck mostly in the nitro forums because i cannot help any one with elec powered rc issues, simply because im a nitro fanatic, trucks arnt the same as like they used to be. used ah was they just changed the power source and every thing else was the same. now its all totaly changed between nitro\elec.

and that being said as GG said, nitro is kind of dying off

but nothing electric will ever compete to the sound of a well tuned 2 stroke engine

I think it is also that after being on here for 5 years you get tired of answering the same questions. So even though new threads are popping up I'm just tired of answering the same question I did last week.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    I think it is also that after being on here for 5 years you get tired of answering the same questions. So even though new threads are popping up I'm just tired of answering the same question I did last week.
    agreed, that is so irritating, its as simple as searching in either google or the traxxas search bar. it takes more time to compose a half thought out life story on how its the biggest problem you have ever faced and such, OR just search "tighten slipper clutch on (vehicle) "

i cant tell you how many new threads get created for simply wanting to know what axles to use ina 7 day period of time. i would say atleast 12-17 threads easy.
    Last edited by mxaustin; 07-02-2015 at 02:59 PM.

Anyone else seeing the extreme irony of complaining about forums on a forum?

What's next - calling a wireless carrier on your cell phone to complain about the ugly cell tower in your neighborhood?

Those of you complaining about repeat questions: how many of those do you think you asked yourself? Would you rather have had your questions ignored?
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 07-02-2015 at 10:48 PM.

RC Racer

Cool

First off: You can call me a rc noob or whatever because i am not even close to being an expert

Now, The way i see it is that all of this is normal. Yea there are alot of bad/boring things in rc right now but Everything somewhat popular goes through a rollercoaster in sucsess and coolness. Example: skateboarding. When tony hawk did the 900 in 1999 the skaters were inventing new tricks, new shops, brands, popularity, sharing information and things that rc has got some time ago. skateboarding is at a low/medium point right now. You dont see the news with skateboarding stories much anymore or too many new shops opening up in your local mall. I GARENTEE in the next five years some brands/persons/technology will spike up the popularity and coolness in rc. My point it that eventually rc will be great someday but for right now it seems it is at a low.

Again i just a guy who likes rc NOT an expert.

RC Champion
    it is also an expencive hobby by its self, not every body can drop 600$ on a new traxxas rc in this ecconomy. expecialy now adays, heck im having a hard time just keeping up on my rc with just basic things like tires and wheels. im buying a house and have a child i have to take care of, so rc expense is at the bottem of my list, and i already have 3 trucks paid for. im just saying TIRES and WHEELS is whats keeping me from running my tmaxx right.

now balance all that with a 600$ rc, thats a house payment, or 2 car payments. what would you choose? if traxxas isnt making alot of money, they cant fund R&D for new items like they could in the past, which means it takes longer for new items to come out. just look at the 2 new trucks they just put out. its a same old stampede with 1 of 2 shells on it, with a few colored parts.

heck besides the price of a nitro rustler(300$ truck) i have a total of about 1200$ wraped up in mine with JUST upgrades and R&D alone. 1200$ USD easy, just upgrades, i have put over 300$ in just stock plastic parts into my tmaxx(500$ truck) over the years, not including my upgraded engine.
    Last edited by mxaustin; 07-04-2015 at 04:21 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Anyone else seeing the extreme irony of complaining about forums on a forum?

What's next - calling a wireless carrier on your cell phone to complain about the ugly cell tower in your neighborhood?

Those of you complaining about repeat questions: how many of those do you think you asked yourself? Would you rather have had your questions ignored?
    not to seem smart, because there are people who are better with rc advancment and moddifications than i, however i will respond to your post with true honesty, so it doesnt seem like have been ignored. i have honestly never asked a question over somthing so simple in all my time of rc as to a loose slipper clutch, tunning (which can be difficult somtimes even for an expert), what axles fit which vehicle, or anything to that extent. its as simple as finding an 1-800-xxx-xxxx and asking what fits this vehicle and what upgrades will not work with these parts. can be related to vehicle or hop up. i have called panther tires, proline, integy(bad cust support ), traxxas(great cust support ), imex tires, FLM and many more with questions and have found out information faster writing a whole life story about why a part doesnt fit with a hop up'ed axle. they 9\10 times write in comments or notes what will not fit with said upgrade.

i have asked a question trying to find discountinued 3.2 tires for a tmaxx and what other issues have plauged the tqi w\ docking base because issues are aparently common, which i did not know at the time of purchasing the item.

most of the question even new rc'ers have can be easily found from either the google search bar, or the traxxas search bar. the only annoying thing about that is the 30 second delay in searching and looking at threads...

not trying to start an argument at all, i mean no disrespect, however alot of this hobby is as simple as a phone call or a quick search.
    Last edited by mxaustin; 07-04-2015 at 04:56 PM.

Simple to some is not quite so simple to others and advanced to some is child's play to others. So now are we rating which questions should be asked and for how many times? Or are we going to complain about it? I hope not.

This is part of a post originally submitted by former member and marshal arceeguy many years ago:
    IF you have a problem with answering the same question over and over, then maybe being a "regular" on a message board isn't for you because it is the same on any other message board I've seen.
    WRT more advanced threads and projects, "Don't Start nothin', won't Be nothin'," can and should be turned around to, "Won't Be nothin' if you don't Start nothin."

RC Qualifier
    I hate to say it but rc is going down my hobby shop two have closed down I had a neighbor that got me into it sold his whole collection... I'll be playing at parks and people ask where I get them and how much and most the time it's 300-700... Rcs are going up traxxas is rasing the price on most of their rcs Bc tsm and to me I don't want that and I'm cheap I don't wanna pay $20 more for something that's kinda pointless unless you're a noob they should offer both models with tsm and without. I've been into rc and everything is dying off I went to the rock crawling scene for more intertainment and it was just like here going slow. I went to the hobby shop the other day and they had about 15 rcs in the store compared to the 40-50 they used to have me I love my rcs just ordered another one but if it wasn't for tower hobbies I wouldn't be in the hobby.

RC Qualifier
    Also much hasn't changed with rcs in a long time so most question were answered a year or two ago so people just use the search bar and don't post here.
    But TRAXXAS will always have my support
    Last edited by Mitchell72; 07-04-2015 at 06:28 PM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    Simple to some is not quite so simple to others and advanced to some is child's play to others. So now are we rating which questions should be asked and for how many times? Or are we going to complain about it? I hope not.

This is part of a post originally submitted by former member and marshal arceeguy many years ago:

WRT more advanced threads and projects, "Don't Start nothin', won't Be nothin'," can and should be turned around to, "Won't Be nothin' if you don't Start nothin."
    Again, I'm not saying it is wrong to post questions, I am saying that it is more efficient and will give the forums less "clutter", to check previous threads.

I also recall some where a mod mentioning such thing once upon a time. Its not wrong to ask questions.

We were all beginners at one time or another, how ever... a bird won't fly unless its nudged out of the nest. We should encourage others to LOOK for answers instead. It will help others overall and give them the skills needed to become better at rc diagnostic.

This is the full text of the quoted post which was written in response to members reacting against questions:
    Quote Originally Posted by arceeguy
    While it is fine to gently remind a user to use the search feature, it should not be the only thing in your post. If you provide an answer to their question, and a reminder to use the search because the subject has come up frequently, that's okay. If you just want to post "USE THE SEARCH!" - then keep it to yourself, and don't bother posting. IF you have a problem with answering the same question over and over, then maybe being a "regular" on a message board isn't for you because it is the same on any other message board I've seen.
    I'd say you agree with it almost totally.

Every body's situation is different and things change over time so having multiple threads about let's say driveshafts is ok but people do need to use the search bar before posting.

I'm tapping out of this thread now.

RC poster
    What if there was a trouble shooting sub for the more common problems?
    Then for the upgrades there be a modded sub for which batteries and shock ect to run with their model, there's a lot of information on these forums and I've been reading them for the last three days through a lot of old post from 2008 and 2010, I'm new here and have revived a 2wd stampede and have learned a lot just reading through but finding the threads isn't simple, just my 2 cents though

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Silverscottsk10 View Post
    I'm new here and have revived a 2wd stampede and have learned a lot just reading through but finding the threads isn't simple, just my 2 cents though
    I agree the search is kind of difficult to use and should indeed be more user friendly

RC poster
    It is, another forum for my real truck is set up that way and we rarely get double posts , maybe 2 or 3 a month

RC Qualifier
    Double post to me are okay Bc maybe some one has a different question then someone else did about a certain part I'll always help anyone that post we learn together and traxxas has one of the friendliest forums. Go to rccrawler forums and over there they're a bunch of jerks I quit using it unless I get bored and want to look on there. Ask questions here people take time with you on other forums people say something smart like "there's a search bar at the top" or "it's not that hard to figure out" but also the rules over there aren't as strict but whatever

Edited for language abuse. If you see a starred out word in your post, you must edit it out to avoid earning warning points.
    Last edited by cooleocool; 07-05-2015 at 08:13 AM.

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Mitchell72 View Post
    Double post to me are okay Bc maybe some one has a different question then someone else did :
    If its a double post than it is the same question. As stated, the drive shafts, MIP or xduty and 3 were posted just today about driveshafts. I made sure to keep track lol.

I like helping people but I feel like I'm catering to every ones feet and they'll never learn how to do anything on their own especially if we just keep on allowing it to happen...

Traxxas Marshal
    Quote Originally Posted by mxaustin View Post
    I like helping people but I feel like I'm catering to every ones feet and they'll never learn how to do anything on their own especially if we just keep on allowing it to happen...
    As it has been stated before, that's just the nature of a forum like this. If you don't like it, taking the advice from arceeguy's quoted post might be a good idea. For the third time now:

IF you have a problem with answering the same question over and over, then maybe being a "regular" on a message board isn't for you because it is the same on any other message board I've seen.
    "Happiness depends upon ourselves." -Aristotle

The contradiction in this thread is striking. On one hand there are comments the forum as slowed down and on the other hand there are comments on how some posts should not be posted at all which would make the forum even more inactive.

Many years ago I was involved in a rather large Reptile forum. It was very busy and many of the senior members including myself were getting frustrated with the same beginner questions being asked over and over again in multiple threads. Many of these senior members were discussing what to do about it in PM and they convinced me to open a new forum and only invite experienced people to join the forum and in effect keep it free from all the noob questions. The forum started and was great for about a month or two. It became very clear that for the forum to remain active we needed the inexperienced people and the repetitive question often lead to more advanced discussions. We had a forum with a few hundred members who knew what they were doing and had virtually nothing new to talk about and the forum died. Meanwhile the original forum still has all the noob questions and is still going strong to this day.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power

i think if somebody posted a beginner question you should anwser them yet if you search bar in yor broswer and find an old thread from the traxxas forums were the question has been answred
    Monster Energy & F-150 Raptor, Teton, Slash 4x4

RC Champion
    also need to think 90% of problems have been answered when people search

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by Dadx2mj View Post
    It became very clear that for the forum to remain active we needed the inexperienced people and the repetitive question often lead to more advanced discussions. We had a forum with a few hundred members who knew what they were doing and had virtually nothing new to talk about and the forum died. Meanwhile the original forum still has all the noob questions and is still going strong to this day.
    i can see how what would happen with no new commers to post, but i would think a gental nudge to help them find their answers would benifit moreso than to just answer their question. looking for the answers can help with diagnosing problems because they see what others have done to eliminate other posibilities, and what steps to take to correct said problem(s), then they would overall become better at diagnosing and problem solving.

but i also think the search should be a little more user friendly. i think if it is updated and works better all of us will use it more often. 9\10 times when i try to find a post i have to back track and GoogleSearch "traxxas forum MIP drive shaft" "traxxas forum servo glitching" or "traxxas forum best lipo charger" just some examples of threads.
    Last edited by mxaustin; 07-05-2015 at 11:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cooleocool View Post
    As it has been stated before, that's just the nature of a forum like this. If you don't like it, taking the advice from arceeguy's quoted post might be a good idea. For the third time now:
    +1^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I enjoy helping on this board as much as my knowledge allows! I find a lot people want their answers quick to get back running and the search feature takes a little effort and time. I have no problem with this because once they get a little friendly help they are sure to return for more.
    When I found this forum I hesitated to sign up and took the time to read through a lot of posts. I found the people were helpful and friendly and the marshals do an excellent job keeping the forum friendly and family oriented. This is the reason I joined. Unlike other forums I belong to hobby related not r/c, this is the best by far.
    Now if most noticed there are fewer MacGyver's out there than there used to be. In my neighborhood I'm known as a MacGyver.

For you young one's that don't know MacGyver let me introduce you....
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MacGyver
    Last edited by JerrysMaxx; 07-05-2015 at 11:59 AM.
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Champion
    Quote Originally Posted by JerrysMaxx View Post
    +1^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I enjoy helping on this board as much as my knowledge allows! I find a lot people want their answers quick to get back running and the search feature takes a little effort and time. I have no problem with this because once they get a little friendly help they are sure to return for more.
    yes, More quick advice and to not think or diagnose them self. I'm all about helping them FIND the correct answer. That way they will learn insted of taking it to their lhs to have them fix It. Its the same way in life, if your given everything in life easily you won't be able to survive on your own.

Kids expect this now adays, as helpers and as knowledgeable as we are, we should encourage them to find the answer with a little guidance. Insted of

"HERE YA GO BRO, YOU GOTA LOOSE SLIPPER CLUTCH"

Or...

"have you tried any troubleshooting steps? "
    "what have you tried so far?"
    "Is there a loss of power only on accelerating from a stop?"
    "Try calling FLM to see if those parts will work"

This is what helps young ones learn.
    Last edited by mxaustin; 07-05-2015 at 02:47 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast