RC poster

more power/ faster

Hi I'm new just bought a slash 4x4 oba tsm. But I want to go faster. What can I buy to make it faster? I have already bought some lipos. But can I swap my brushless to go faster? And if so to what?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Hello. Welcome to the forums.

One option would be to keep your factory ESC and run the Traxxas Funny Car motor on a 3 cell LiPo.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Traxxas-Funn...item2a45db07e0

This motor will bolt right in. It runs very well on 18/54 gearing.

There are a ton of other options though... it's all up to you and what your budget allows...

Keep in mind though. Whenever you add more power... things such as the driveshafts and diffs MUST be upgraded as well. So basically... if you want to go fast... be prepared to spend some cash.

Welcome to the forum and the addiction! You are among a group of people who share the love of the Traxxas Slash 4x4! If you have any questions please feel free to ask. Remember we are here to help!

MIP X-Duty or Tekno axles are almost a must if you are going to run a higher powered motor. The stock axles are not strong enough to handle the extra torque.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC poster
    Yes don't mind spending on the extra parts. But just hard to decide when there's so many to choose from. Lol. But thank you for the advice. Will show you guys progress in the days to come.

RC Qualifier
    gear for 45-50 on 3s and have a blast much faster and it gets very expensive...
    Last edited by wilsonj1018; 07-06-2015 at 11:18 PM.

RC poster
    It's an expensive hobby. But is very exhilarating.

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    Since I started with a roller, I went with the Castle Creations Sidewinder 8th combo but I think our beloved member matts175 gave you the better option.

I like my Tekno drive shafts. Make sure to get their aluminum hexes with them.

What's that whimpering sound? It's coming from my wallet.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Qualifier
    Quote Originally Posted by spadeslash2015 View Post
    It's an expensive hobby. But is very exhilarating.
    about $140 in tires in 3 weeks from blowing them off the wheels.... That's not adding up the 70-75mph crash damage.. 50 is a good safe controllable speed much more is asking for mass breakage unless you are running at an airport.

Quote Originally Posted by wilsonj1018 View Post
    about $140 in tires in 3 weeks from blowing them off the wheels...
    I tip my hat to you sir.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Qualifier

more power/ faster

I have a setup that will do about 70. Tried it once. Scary! Haven't done it since. 45 - 50mph is fast and fun without being dangerous.

There are negatives when you live in a forest like I do. With evil trees jumping on front of your RC, 30mph is dangerous.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post
    There are negatives when you live in a forest like I do. With evil trees jumping on front of your RC, 30mph is dangerous.
    I live in the city..... we get parked cars jumping in front of my rc, and also curbs.....

Welcome aboard! This group knows what they are talking about. A LOT of friendly knowledgeable people here and they're more than willing to help! With that said, you will become an addict and they will be the enablers to your addiction! I know, I started in Jan. with my 1st ever RC, a Slash Ultimate. Since then I've upgraded the motor(2400kv) the axles (MIP), the motor mount(King Headz), bought a new charger and added another lipo(SMC 3s), currently waiting for my new esc to arrive(HW WP SC8) and repaired some items broken in crashes(RPM). I've also bought a Rustler as a home for the motor/esc I've taken out of the Slash, which also required a new receiver and some other misc.stuff. Have fun!! I am!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

RC poster
    Thank for the help guys. Yeah was running it with 11.1v 5000 mah lipo. And have to master this battery before putting in the funny car motor. Now I have to buy some cooling fans. Getting 1 for my esc and another for the motor. What are some good brands to look at. Also need to to buy the traxxas link. So I can start looking at temp and speed. Last time I drove it until a red light was blinking. Think because of overheat :/

Just for your information:

Several experts have said that, as a general rule, all ESCs and motors should be able to be run without a fan or added heat sink. The exceptions to this rule: very hot weather, incorrect application (too small of a motor being used), poor air circulation, etc. Absent the exceptions, electronics will always be in the correct temperature range when geared correctly without the need for fans. Temperature is best controlled by gearing. Besides, fans are notorious for breaking or jamming while in the middle of running your truck. The broken fan apparatus reduces air flow creating even more heat, faster.

According to the official Gearing Chart for Castle 1/10th Scale Motors: "Always check your motor temperature frequently on the first run after changing the gearing, motor or increasing battery voltage! Never let the motor get above 180F. Use an infrared temperature gun to monitor motor temps. If the motor starts to get close to 180 reduce the pinion size, increase the spur size, or reduce the pack voltage." 180 is also the upper limit for a Castle ESC.

Newer and/or more advanced technology, for the most part, can handle higher temperatures, but higher temperatures will decrease the life span of the electronics.

I like quoting smart people. It makes me seem smart too but we all know better than that!
    Obstacle Magnet

Newer and/or more advanced technology, for the most part, can handle higher temperatures, but higher temperatures will decrease the life span of the electronics.
    I think a lot of the electronics in the esc and or surrounding the motors magnets could be made to tolerate more heat.
    The problem imho, and remember you listening to a man with a nearly two digit iq, is the neodymium magnets that make these new motors so powerful have a serious fault for many applications, heat.
    At 176f the demagnetization process begins, between 583 and 673 they reach there curie temp (complete loss of magnetism) which is irreversible at all levels.
    While not noticeable at first, every time the motors magnets surpass 176 they loose a small amount of strength, the higher the temp the more of there strength is lost.
    Now its lucky for all my fellow members, except those who knew it already, my just shy of a two digit iq brain was able to upload this information buy clicking on this word.
    Last edited by billy-bones; 07-09-2015 at 10:17 PM.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

"Curie temperature" is two words Mr. Hawking. I thought the word was going to be "neodymium." Sorry, got to go, one of my friends from Mensa needs me to figure something out for him. Again. Man, they're all a bit dim.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC poster
    Hello guys. Got a question. So I'ma buy a tekno driveshaft. What will I be needing? Do i just buy the driveshaft or do i have to buy the front driveshaft kit aswell? Going to buy a stronger differential aswell as i am putting in the fun y car motor.Help please.
    Last edited by spadeslash2015; 07-15-2015 at 09:40 PM.

Complete X0-1 front and rear diffs are nice:
    http://www.dollarhobbyz.com/traxxas/...ferential.html

If you don't want to buy drop-in assemblies, you can buy the parts and assemble them yourself.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by spadeslash2015 View Post
    Hello guys. Got a question. So I'ma buy a tekno driveshaft. What will I be needing? Do i just buy the driveshaft or do i have to buy the front driveshaft kit aswell? Going to buy a stronger differential aswell as i am putting in the fun y car motor.Help please.
    It's my experience that you will be likely not be happy unless you buy Tekno aluminum 12mm hexes along with the Tekno shafts.

As the wise Squeegie said, XO-1 diffs are a great upgrade.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC poster
    I wanted my slash to have more power than I could handle. Sidewinder 8th combo on 4s took care of that.

I hear you infamouse. My Sl4sh with the Sidewinder 8th is so fast . . . it's . . . blurry.
    Obstacle Magnet

As with almost everything I purchase in life, I want me to be the limiting factor... not the item!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    I recently tried 4s on my Leopard 2700kv - tooooooo fast - 3s is my barely in control/fun spot

I hear you infamouse. My Sl4sh with the Sidewinder 8th is so fast . . . it's . . . blurry.
    How are you geared? I had a Slash 4x4 on 4s geared 22/50! It was good for 79.79mph on my gps! Do you have any official numbers.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

I have mine at 18/54. I don't do speed runs. I find that boring. Needless to say, no numbers. Plus, it's hard to get going too fast when you're in the forest dodging evil trees.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC poster
    Cool thanks for the help guys ordering the parts today. Have to get ready for some racing. He has the exact same slash with deep pockets. So doing a straight away and a track race.lets see if I can end getting my parts for free.jaja

I have mine at 18/54. I don't do speed runs. I find that boring. Needless to say, no numbers. Plus, it's hard to get going too fast when you're in the forest dodging evil trees.
    I'm in the process of producing a "RTRDS" (Rogue Tree Rock Dodging System).
    Coming soon to a forest near you.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by billy-bones View Post
    I'm in the process of producing a "RTRDS" (Rogue Tree Rock Dodging System).
    Please sign me up as one of your official Beta Testers for the RTRDS.
    Obstacle Magnet