RC Enthusiast

Grave Digger ESC

Hey All,

Looking for a little help with my son's Grave Digger. We were out driving it yesterday, I had my Summit VXL going as well when he pointed out to me that his truck was acting a little funny. Once I got over to his I noticed that his steering servo was grinding away, without any input from the remote at all. I couldn't get the speed control to turn the unit off so I had to pull the battery. There was a bit of smoke, not sure if it came from the servo, or the ESC.

After we had a chance to take it inside I realised the servo was totally fried, had visually melted. I pulled everything apart and we headed to the LHS to grab another 2080 servo. Brought it home, and hooked everything back up, only to find that something is still wrong. I think the ESC is pooched too. When you connect a battery to the truck, you can turn the wheels using the remote, without the ESC being turned on. The throttle will not active though unless you turn on the ESC. Once you turn the ESC off, you cannot turn it back on again until you pull the battery and re-plug it in, yet the steering is still active during this time.

It seems to me that the ESC is wrecked too, but I want to be sure before I call Traxxas or just replace it. Would it be normal for a servo to wreck an ESC, or an ESC to fail and take a servo with it? How do I know that it's not the receiver unit?

Just looking for some feedback from some folks with some experience in this department.

Thanks.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    it is very normal for a fried servo to also kill the esc... sadly......

smoke with electronics is never a good thing

Call traxxas, they should be able to help.
    Two stroke smoke

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by Devon_4 View Post
    Call traxxas, they should be able to help.
    I did call them today, the best they can offer is for me to send them the truck, but suggested that the XL2.5 and the receiver are fairly cheap parts ($120 together, not real cheap in my opinion) so just buying them from my LHS may be the cheaper option.

Oh well, I would just like to understand why it happened.

Quote Originally Posted by JudgeDredd View Post
    I did call them today, the best they can offer is for me to send them the truck, but suggested that the XL2.5 and the receiver are fairly cheap parts ($120 together, not real cheap in my opinion) so just buying them from my LHS may be the cheaper option.

Oh well, I would just like to understand why it happened.
    The 2080 servo is notorious for failing (went thru atleast 10 of them myself) sometimes went they go out they take other electronic components with them...

You shouldnt have to by a new receiver, and if your going to get a new xl 2.5, i highly suggest dollarhobbyz.com. You can get them for super cheap.
    Two stroke smoke