RC poster

Lightbulb A forum section for other brands?

I know most will say "This is Traxxas", go to "Blah Blah's to talk about "Blah Blah's", however it seems very useful in Tamiyaclub.com to talk about misc. RC's when explaining certain instances and innovative ideas. I'm not asking for a massive rule change, just a section where we can talk about all RC's. Even the Alley (which is my favorite section) can only be Traxxas related
    It was RTR, time to support my LHS' (/ิ_ิ)/

You are dealing with the golden rule... On the Traxxas forums Traxxas has the gold, so Traxxas makes the rules. The forums are paid for my Traxxas for the express purpose of promoting and support Traxxas RCs.

With that, I do agree. As long as you don't have a "product X is better than a Traxxas Y" thread. This would be especially cool for project RCs that are a mish-mash of several different RCs, along with custom made parts. But, this has been requested before, hasn't happened and the thread is normally closed. I could be wrong, look at what they did with the avatar post count.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

There was formerly just such a subforum. It was closed for good reason and there are no compelling reasons to re-open such an area on a company-owned and privately held board.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post
    There was formerly just such a subforum. It was closed for good reason and there are no compelling reasons to re-open such an area on a company-owned and privately held board.
    As someone who's been a Traxxas supporter for the last 15 years, I wholeheartedly disagree with this.

Why would a manufacturer/business add costs to their financial statements to support their competitors?

Quote Originally Posted by . . . . . . . . . . View Post
    As someone who's been a Traxxas supporter for the last 15 years, I wholeheartedly disagree with this.
    For the sake of discussion, let's hear your reasons to support your statement.
    The Super Derecho

RC Competitor
    Quote Originally Posted by Double G View Post
    Why would a manufacturer/business add costs to their financial statements to support their competitors?

For the sake of discussion, let's hear your reasons to support your statement.
    First off, I'd like to be clear that I'm not saying Traxxas should allow open-ended discussion for any vehicle people choose. Obviously someone coming in and saying something like "Is the ______ a good truck" or "I'm sick of my Nitro 4-tec, what are your thoughts on _____ ?" won't fly.

I don't think a casual discussion that happens to make quick mention of another brand (especially if Traxxas isn't being put down in any way) should be immediately closed.

Perfect example is a project I'm building right now. I'm building a solid axle monster truck, something that Traxxas doesn't even offer, that started with many components from a (insert non-Traxxas brand and vehicle name here). I'd like to use revo driveshafts, an xl5 ESC, and a Titan 12T motor. Pending on the final location of my electronics, I may or may not end up using a Stampede transmission. I've got a Captain's Curse body (something that Traxxas made money off of when I purchased three Monster Jam Stampedes) that I'd like to use as the truck's shell. I've given Traxxas at least $3500 in the last decade. I love this hobby above all others, and when I put time into a building a machine, and use many components from a brand I really like, I'd be elated if I could discuss it and share it with other people here.

Also, if montitored properly, Traxxas could learn a lot about their customer base if light discussion was permitted about other things rival companies may do. That "Boards" thread was shut down the other day. Why? Sure the discussion varied a little, but that thread was being filled with insight as to why this board (as well as many others) is becoming less active. I would think it would be in Traxxas' best interest to maybe get an idea as to why some of their most loyal customers have stopped engaging the community or have left the hobby all together. Traxxas currently has the onboard audio system for the Slash. It's a cool piece of tech. However, if someone owns a Traxxas Slash with that feature, I think they should be allowed to say something like "I love the onboard audio, it sounds great, but I wish the module had 25 different engine sounds and the ability to download additional ones in the future. That way I could put it in my Revo or Summit and have a matching engine sound".

Again, I'm not saying someone should be able to start a thread about why they can't get their HPI Savage to run, but if someone came in and asked whether the Revo's molded chassis is more or less durable than a twin plate savage style chassis, I don't see what's so bad about that. Also, seeing as this is a Traxxas board, odds are the ones posting are going to speak highly in favor of the Revo's chassis. That's why they are members here in the first place. Traxxas will be getting the most desired thing in any industry... free advertising in the form of customer praise and loyalty.

I'll finish by saying that I think there should at least be a section for custom RC rigs that use Traxxas components. If I'm building an SCX10-based scale crawler, another thing Traxxas doesn't offer, I think I should be able to start a thread showing my build and why Traxxas components are making it better than the way the original company made it.
    Last edited by . . . . . . . . . .; 07-07-2015 at 08:53 AM.

RC Competitor
    I'm also curious as to why a thread like the one below is allowed, but mentioning another vehicle automatically gets the thread locked? Is it because in this particular thread Venom was being bashed? Had the comments been praising Venom batteries and chargers, would the thread have been closed? Where is the line? I'm not bating, I'm actually curious.

https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...-The-BEST-EVER

Traxxas sells both batteries and chargers, and it's okay to mention another brand's batteries and chargers.
    Traxxas sells both motors and ESCs, and it's okay to mention another brand's motors and ESCs.
    Traxxas sells radios and receivers, and it's okay to mention another brand's radios and receivers
    Traxxas sells both on and offroad vehicles, but it's an automatic lock if you mention another brand's on and offroad vehicles.
    Traxxas doesn't offer anything that could be considered a scale crawler, but it's an automatic lock if you mention another brand's scale crawler.

I understand that vehicle sales are what generate the most money, and Traxxas probably wants to steer clear of discussion of competing vehicles, but I don't see how threads about replacing the stock Traxxas steering servo, receiver, esc, motor, and radio with those of a competitor are any different than me wanting to make a thread about putting all of those same components in a solid axle monster truck that Traxxas has nothing to compete with. To take it a step further, I'd say that a thread about removing Traxxas branded components is more damaging to the brand than a thread about using Traxxas componenets to enhance a non-Traxxas vehicle. The first could easily be interpretted as Traxxas including cheap electronics with their relatively expensive RTRs whereas the latter can be interpretted as Traxxas making superior components when compared to other brands.
    Last edited by . . . . . . . . . .; 07-07-2015 at 10:33 AM.

Name one Main Stream R/C manufacturer who has a forum website they own and maintain besides Traxxas?

Traxxas's website it to help promote and support Traxxas based products, they aren't here to give support to other Mfr's products.

to the O.P. yes you are right, Traxxas allows people to discuss parts that can be used on Traxxas based R/C's such as receivers, ESC's, batteries, carbs, engines, motors and stuff like that. That's where they draw the line...

Thing is there are a lot of Traxxas products to talk about these days.

You mention posting about a crawler that Traxxas doesn't even make and it would be shut down. Well, at one point Traxxas didn't sell Funny Cars either, but they do now...

That's been their point of view since the beginning of this forum, pretty sure that part is not going to change and I do not blame them.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Champion
    I understand not allowing talk of competitors products on this forum and for the most part I agree with it. It doesn't seem to be very consistent though. For example, recently I saw a thread where someone was asking about LiPos and a Marshall on this forum recommended SPC. That's a Marshall recommending a competitors product. Why is that ok? Meanwhile someone started a thread asking for the specs of the Titan 550 motor, a Traxxas product, and the thread was closed because he used the Titan in another manufacturers vehicle. IMO If anything the Marshall should have deleted the mention of the other manufacturers vehicle and left the question about the Titans specs intact.

[/QUOTE]

Losi.
    Last edited by RobWilJas; 07-08-2015 at 03:17 AM.
    I need R/Cers anonymous.

In the end......... This is a Traxxas site, Paid for, Maintained by and Monitored by. I can respect that and live with.
    Although Traxxas does not make a SCX10 crawler (yet) I bet you could take a Traxxas vehicle and make it a crawler (I believe it's been done a couple times) and you still have a Traxxas vehicle being showcased and not another brand in the spotlight.
    Parts are a different story, there is a variety of stock and aftermarket part's to mix and match to improve your vehicle's looks and handling but in the end it's still a Traxxas vehicle being looked at by a potential buyer. Upgrading is a different beast as some will love stock and other's like to experiment for speed, handling and looks.
    You can all ways start your own website with your rule's if you want to!
    Keep up the good work Traxxas and Moderators!
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

I see we have different opinions.

Well, I do have to agree with the OP, but I do see why they do not allow this. Everywhere on this forum, something says Traxxas. That's free marketing, however on the other side people trying to make projects with other parts may improve Traxxas. Proline makes a metal chassis for the slash. Losi makes a metal chassis for their 1/10 2wd SCT. Could the Losi part be modified to fit a slash, but be better than Proline's and the stocker? Yes, it could, but we aren't allowed to take this into count because what if it isn't better. Someone might be a fan of Traxxas and say "I never heard of ____! I'll switch to them!" and Traxxas, what, a multi-million? dollar company, might loose $200 to $300 dollars or if they take a chance, improve, and earn $200 - $300.

Quote Originally Posted by RobWilJas View Post
    I understand not allowing talk of competitors products on this forum and for the most part I agree with it. It doesn't seem to be very consistent though. For example, recently I saw a thread where someone was asking about LiPos and a Marshall on this forum recommended SPC. That's a Marshall recommending a competitors product. Why is that ok? Meanwhile someone started a thread asking for the specs of the Titan 550 motor, a Traxxas product, and the thread was closed because he used the Titan in another manufacturers vehicle. IMO If anything the Marshall should have deleted the mention of the other manufacturers vehicle and left the question about the Titans specs intact.

Losi.
    Just the same as people's perception of the police, the perception of the police here, aka Marshal's, is the same. Unless it says "Employee" under the name, we are here voluntarily (read: unpaid), have jobs completely separate from RC, and routinely chided for enforcing the rules. Then we get questioned for editing someone's post without their permission. We are human and some marshals interpret the rules differently or allow some stuff where others do not. It is NOT easy.

Just because we are Marshals does not mean we need to adhere to keeping our Traxxas vehicles strickly Traxxas. Though we do encourage Traxxas where necessary. My Revo has an O.S. engine and THS pipe. My Slash has Castle powertrain and SPC batteries, HR transmission, STRC castor blocks, Pro-Line body... Heathen!

While on the topic, good reminder:

Guidelines for discussing aftermarket parts:

The Traxxas message board is provided as a service for current and future Traxxas customers where they can exchange information and ideas about ownership, function, usage, modification, and enjoyment of Traxxas products.

In response to questions we have received regarding the removal of threads about other manufacturer’s parts, we are posting these guidelines to help you know what content is acceptable and what content will be removed. Please be aware that moderators do not delete content solely on the basis that it mentions a non-Traxxas, aftermarket part. The determining factor is whether the discussion is application or service related.

The moderators will allow discussion regarding:
    1. Pros and cons of purchasing an aftermarket part for your Traxxas vehicle.
    2. Sharing your experiences, either bad or good with a particular part.
    3. Posting what it took to install the part and what you had to modify to make it work in your Traxxas vehicle.

Please note that these issues are specifically related to the application of that product in your Traxxas vehicle. The Traxxas message board is not the place to discuss how to repair, setup, or otherwise service other manufacturer’s parts. It is the manufacturer’s responsibility to dedicate resources and provide that type of information and support for their customers. Here are examples of things that will get your post deleted and, if you persist, get you warning points.

1. Posting specification questions or answers about a non-Traxxas part.
    2. Posting repair and troubleshooting tips for non-Traxxas parts.
    3. Posting where to find the lowest priced parts for non-Traxxas parts (other than a simple direction to check at your LHS).
    4. Attempting to get troubleshooting information for a non-Traxxas part

If you purchase a non-Traxxas aftermarket part for your model, we suggest that you first know and understand what kind of support is available for that part directly from the manufacturer. If they cannot provide accurate, timely, and reliable support, do not look to the Traxxas message board as a substitute. Traxxas moderators will not allow technical support related discussion for non-Traxxas aftermarket parts. If you have problems with a non-Traxxas part you will need to contact the manufacturer directly or consult the LHS where you purchased the part. If you have questions regarding this policy, please PM the forum moderators.
    Last edited by Double G; 07-08-2015 at 08:51 AM.
    The Super Derecho

RC Racer
    Then how about this... Instead of a misc. rc thread put in a build thread. As long as they use some Traxxas parts it could bring back some excitement to the forum to see what people are building from nothing. I mean one of the coolest threads I have read on here is when someone was making a 1/5 scale Summit. I mean earlier in the Alley someone posted about building a Tonka RC car. Tonka doesn't even make RC versions of their vehicles (that I know of) and it would be something really cool to follow but it was closed. On of the most exciting parts about this hobby is when people make these Frankenstein's Monster cars. So maybe instead of just misc. rc cars put in a "Custom Build" thread where people can post their builds as long as they use at least a couple Traxxas parts. I mean there was a thread earlier this month talking about how little activity there is on here. Adding a "Custom Build" thread should bring some travel back into the forum.
    Hi Ho Silver Away

Quote Originally Posted by RobWilJas View Post
    Posts and threads are kept within the confines of the Rules as set by Traxxas. The line has to be drawn somewhere and by now you have to be aware of where that is, even if you don't agree with it. It is unfortunate that you cannot make your peace with that.

Quote Originally Posted by ccoon520 View Post
    Then how about this... Instead of a misc. rc thread put in a build thread. As long as they use some Traxxas parts it could bring back some excitement to the forum to see what people are building from nothing. I mean one of the coolest threads I have read on here is when someone was making a 1/5 scale Summit. I mean earlier in the Alley someone posted about building a Tonka RC car. Tonka doesn't even make RC versions of their vehicles (that I know of) and it would be something really cool to follow but it was closed. On of the most exciting parts about this hobby is when people make these Frankenstein's Monster cars. So maybe instead of just misc. rc cars put in a "Custom Build" thread where people can post their builds as long as they use at least a couple Traxxas parts. I mean there was a thread earlier this month talking about how little activity there is on here. Adding a "Custom Build" thread should bring some travel back into the forum.
    Build a 1:5 scale Maxx out of K-Nex or Legos. Make a crawler out aluminum pop cans and old license plates. Put Traxxas parts in them, whether tires, or power system, or radio gear - that's fine. But as soon as you start building off of another manufacturer's chassis, you are out of bounds.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 07-08-2015 at 11:59 AM.

Build a 1:5 scale Maxx out of K-Nex or Legos. Make a crawler out aluminum pop cans and old license plates. Put Traxxas parts in them, whether tires, or power system, or radio gear - that's fine. But as soon as you start building off of another manufacturer's chassis, you are out of bounds.
    This is kind of ironic. The explosion of rock crawlers, and now scalers can be traced directly back to Traxxas. Before the AX10 was produced, the go-to transmission for crawlers was the Magnum 272 (2WD Slash, Rusty, Pede transmission), but even then you could not talk about those RCs because they did not have a Traxxas chassis. So, if anything can be said about all of this, Traxxas and the mods have remained consistent.

I think for a lot of us, this goes to the idea of having all of our toys in one chest. There are a good number of forums to post builds from other manufacturers on, but liking Traxxas, its products, and this community as a whole, we'd like to share these things here.
    Last edited by Greatscott; 07-08-2015 at 12:26 PM.
    Submarine Qualified, Chief Inducted, Navy Retired

RC Racer
    But as I mentioned before the Tonka one was closed because Tonka isn't a traxxas product. However, Tonka isn't even a competitor, they don't make RC cars they make a toy but someone was talking about building one into an RC but it got shut down because it wasn't Traxxas. Why not open a thread specified for custom builds so if Jim Bob Hensson wants to show off his awesome creation that has a Losi Chassis, Traxxas Powertrain, RPM A-Arms, and HPI suspension he can put it here. It shows the ability to use parts from Traxxas in these builds and you can get some really cool stuff. If this happens you'll have people using Traxxas parts in every part of their car from chassis to transmitter and it will inspire other people in the hobby to do something cool with their spare Traxxas parts too. This means that they would make more sales because people need to buy parts from Traxxas for these builds and even though they get the most out of selling their RTRs the nickels and dimes add up really quickly. Why do you think there are companies out there like RPM that don't make their own cars but sell upgrades for a large number of cars. All the small stuff adds up and adds up quick given a spark that a single thread could start. Traxxas' name isn't getting any better by releasing stuff like Craniac and Skully which are just different faces on a Stampede for an extra charge. I know that they own the page and they pay to keep it up and they don't want people advertising competitors on this page but at the end of the day the more versatile a company can be seen as by consumers the more money they will make. Right now Traxxas is frozen the next step could be these people making awesome custom rc that gives Traxxas an idea for an RTR that sweeps the field of RC for the next 5 years like short course and crawlers have.
    Hi Ho Silver Away

Wink

"He who makes the gold makes the rules." This site is paid for by Traxxas therefore they make the rules. Much more fun to kick up dirt with my RC truck than on a website.
    Good times don't just happen.

If you feel it is so important to have leeway with the rules and open another section, then contact Traxxas direct rather than trying to argue the same point over and over and over and over and over again. We Marshals are volunteers located around the country so we do not get to sit in the board meetings or rub shoulders with Support at Traxxas headquarters so no matter if we are in agreement into the matter(s) we do not have the power to make the decisions. We have the power to enforce the rules Traxxas has set forth within their privately-owned forum.

All businesses that wish to stay competitive and be number one will have eyes on the competition; if not then they can stay in their bubble and watch their product age and market share dwindle. It would be idiotic for Traxxas to supply a forum such as this and not use it for product feedback, enhancements or ideas--what they do with that info is up to them.

We can go around and around all day but until Traxxas determines if there are any changes needed for their forum the rules remain the same (which have changed very little in my years here). There are plenty of other forums out there that are not brand-specific and accommodate the issues you state and maybe the other manufacturers are more lenient with what is said on their forums but that is up to them.
    The Super Derecho

RC Qualifier
    Well all I can say I think its great that traxxas has a forum that we can all share and post on. Maybe one day other manufacturers will catch onto to this and do their own forums. Maybe they have in the past, dont know but I've love traxxas and looking forward to own more one day.

FWIW, Tonka has made RC vehicles. Even if not competitive that puts them a bit too close to the line. So, that one is now put to bed.

RC Competitor
    FWIW, Tonka has made RC vehicles. Even if not competitive that puts them a bit too close to the line. So, that one is now put to bed.
    Thanks for pointing that out... Been thinking of getting something for my little nephew. One up for Tonka.

Quote Originally Posted by dirtandstreet View Post
    Thanks for pointing that out... Been thinking of getting something for my little nephew. One up for Tonka.
    Thank you for the prime example of why there will probably NOT be such a subforum reinstated.
    Of course, as explained above, that decision is not, nor was ever, nor ever will be for the marshals to decide.
    Last edited by ksb51rl; 07-09-2015 at 11:44 AM.

RC Competitor
    Glad to help!! You as a Marshal pointed it out. You closed that thread because it was a "threat". One person brought it up and that was that. You my friend pointed out that Tonka makes
    r/c cars. So in return you should take the credit as well

Let's not carry this on as well. This thread should be closed..

You closed that thread because it was a "threat".
    You are incorrect in your assumption. Threads are NOT closed because they pose a threat, they are closed because they violate the rules we all agreed to follow when we joined this forum.

Let's be reasonable guys, this forum was created by Traxxas, is paid for by Traxxas, is maintained by Traxxas and is intended to support Traxxas products. To suggest that Traxxas take on the burden to in effect offer support to any other company is IMO some what ridiculous. The net is full of other RC forums that are not operated by a RC manufacturer, if you have the need to discuss non Traxxas RC use one of those forums. This one is dedicated to Traxxas products.
    BlindMan Racing
    Rusty - MERV - Pede 4x4-Alias
    SPC Lipo Power