RC Racer

Voltage and Temp Telemetry not working

I installed full telemetry in my Slash. Only the RPM and GPS speed register on the Traxxas Link. The two voltage sensors (battery and ESC) and the motor temp sensor do not work. The gauge on my Android 4.4 phone show "0" for these items.

The LHS checked it out this morning and noted that the connectors fit very loose. Vibrations even cause the the sensors that work to go off and on on the Android. He could not get the temp and voltage sensors to work even for a second. After spending 45 minutes on it, the tech said I should call Traxxas to tell them about this issue. He said I should ask for a replacement expander box, although I don't see why connectors would fit any better.

Since Traxxas customer support is closed on Saturday, I'm posting here to see if anyone knows of this issue.

You may want to see that the power tap is getting power. I have had telemetry that came with the Ultimate Edition and when there was any problems I checked to make sure that you have power.
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Champion
    you may try to relearn your sensors by going to the telemetry setup in the "garage" portion of your menu. i have resolved issues similar to that by doing so.
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

So far I am not liking the telemetry expander with it's fancy dancy "Auto-detectable" sensors. I hooked up a temp one tonight and could not get it to "Auto" detect to save my life. If it wasn't for the GPS I would just dump the whole thing. I think I will try to wipe everything and start from scratch one of these days when I have more time. Definitely not as "Plug-n-Play" as they make it sound.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Silly Old Boy View Post
    So far I am not liking the telemetry expander with it's fancy dancy "Auto-detectable" sensors. I hooked up a temp one tonight and could not get it to "Auto" detect to save my life. If it wasn't for the GPS I would just dump the whole thing. Definitely not as "Plug-n-Play" as they make it sound.
    Everything you stated above reflects both my experience and opinion so far.

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    You may want to see that the power tap is getting power. I have had telemetry that came with the Ultimate Edition and when there was any problems I checked to make sure that you have power.
    That would explain the battery voltage sensor not working, but not the non-functioning of the esc voltage sensor and the motor temp sensor.

What is the best way to test the voltage tap? There is a single positive lead exiting the battery tap. Where is the best place for the negative to come from?

The most difficult things to troubleshoot are unrelated multiple problems.
    Last edited by gfmucci; 07-11-2015 at 09:39 PM.

I feel like an idiot. I got the temp sensor working now. I needed to hit "Refresh" in the garage under Telemetry Setup and then delete the old gauge. So simple. LOL

RC Racer
    I feel like an idiot. I got the temp sensor working now. I needed to hit "Refresh" in the garage under Telemetry Setup and then delete the old gauge. So simple. LOL
    If you're a "silly old boy" I might very well be a sillier, older boy if it also works for me. I'll let you know in a few hours.

RC Racer
    It's a miracle [clouds, music, stars, dancing angels, etc.]. You helped me achieve what no mere mortal LHS technician was able to do. And I even brought them DONUTS! I can't wait to go back to the shop today and inform them how its done.

One additional step. After I did steps 1 & 2 (reset Telemetry and delete the old gauges) I found I needed to add the appropriate new gauges and select which sensor readout to attach from the list of sensors on the Telemetry page.

Since I had 3 sensors that were not registering, I repeated that process three times. I now have Motor Temp, Battery Volts, and ESC Volts (not sure what good that one will do me - it registers around 3.1 to 3.2 volts; I assume it is the ESC's BEC) in addition to Speed via GPS and RPM.

I used the grid cluster to set this up, since its format provides easier to read graphics. I noticed that the round gauges do not automatically reflect what you set up using the grid gauges. I'm guessing you need to set them up separately as you did for the grid gauges.
    Last edited by gfmucci; 07-13-2015 at 10:38 AM.

Glad it helped.

RC poster
    Okay. I have the telemetry expander. Has the gps chip installed.
    - on the app in the garage telemetry section for speedometer does the source for you guys setup read Telemetry expander or does it read as mine and say receiver / gps. (I get speed readings but sure how accurate) shouldn't the speed dial move when u have car on blocks and test it by accelerating?
    - as far as my smart temp sensor which have installed around my motor I am still getting nothing. It's in the expander also. In the app garage section it just reads as Source receiver.

Quote Originally Posted by Monyrolls View Post
    Okay. I have the telemetry expander. Has the gps chip installed.
    - on the app in the garage telemetry section for speedometer does the source for you guys setup read Telemetry expander or does it read as mine and say receiver / gps. (I get speed readings but sure how accurate) shouldn't the speed dial move when u have car on blocks and test it by accelerating?
    No. GPS reads the trucks actual location and deternmines your speed by the time and distance traveled, NOT by the speed your spur gear and Size of your wheels.
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC poster
    Hey Squeegie.....Thanks a bunch...Makes perfect sense.