Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    RC Competitor
    Sway bars eh? You noticed a definite difference? $15 I see on ebay. Reasonable.

I think I'm gunna order the trenchers with desperado wheels.

You notice a big difference with them. The rear back wheel no longer lifts on turns. The truck should come with them.

RC Competitor
    With the price tag on both those replacements, my truck might be collecting dust on the shelf for awhile. Ugh

So just get the 8$ stock driveshaft for now. I think you just got a bad one. I bet if you call traxxas they'll send you a new one.

RC Competitor
    Probably worth the call... I noticed the other side, rear, is noticeably twisting. I'm sure it will go soon. Lots and lots of plastic on these trucks for the money it takes to get one

I'll swing into my LHS after work tomorrow and see what they have on the shelf.

On a positive note, I read about many ppl lower their body by about an inch by removing the spacers and adding battery tie down posts. I ordered 4 posts and installed them tonight. Wow! Completely different truck. Glad I did that! Looks great.

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    I agree with FMcamaroZ28 . . . again. Anti-roll bars, aka sway bars, are a massive improvement on my P4de and Sl4sh.

JIM33, what size Trenchers? 2.8" are ridiculously huge. Too big for a P4de in my opinion. I have them on my clown car --- the P2de.

Obstacle Magnet

RC Competitor
    I guess I havnt thought about size. What is the stock size, 2.2? Prolly stick with something close to stock size. Can't think of a good reason to get a much larger tire. Loss of power, battery, shorter run times. More clearance but that hasn't been an issue this far.

I'm trying to keep my truck right side up, moving the center of gravity up won't help me with that haha

Here are what three tire sizes look like:

2.8" Badlands

2.2" Rocx

SC Gladiators

Personally I prefer my P4de lowered with SC size tires (2.2"/3.0") on it becasue it handles like a million.
    Obstacle Magnet

I dunno man, i really like my 2.8 trenchers.

Old picture with the body lowered, and before they released the F-11's and you had to cut your own tire.

RC Competitor
    Hard to really tell in your pics the size differences. They all look similar, to me anyways.

Do the 2.8's rub since the body was lowered? Wouldn't raising the truck up, even if it's 1/4", cause it to be more unstable? (Or am I splitting hairs here)

They don't rub. the tires are out further than the body.

the 1/4" difference between a 2.2 or 2.8 tire can't be that much. If it helps most people go with 2.8s. It is a monster truck after all.

The tires are heavier to than the stock ones, which helps i guess.

They handled great i highly recommend them.

With the body lifted and tall tires on, the P4de is quite prone to rolling on to its back.

With the body lowered and SC tires she's far more road worthy but the whole monster truck thing is kaput.

Do you want looks or performance?

The Badlands are my weed hackers.

The Rocx are for rock bouncing.

The Gladiators are for tearing up the track.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Competitor
    I want a sweet lookin tough riding fast great handling lots of power monster truck!

Quote Originally Posted by JIM33 View Post
    I want a sweet lookin tough riding fast great handling lots of power monster truck!
    Of the four primary, fundamental rules of logic, the law of excluded middle applies here.
    Obstacle Magnet

I guess we both missed a fundamental question - what surfaces do you primarily run on?

If its dirt/jumps/tall grass bashing then you want to go with a bigger, wider MT tire.

If you are going to be on a smoother track like surface, then a SC (or short course) tire could be better for you

Personally since the SC tires are taller and narrower, I would think they hurt performance a bit in the tough stuff. But i never tried that since I have a slash. My slash has SC trenchers on it and they are awesome.

A monster truck needs monster truck tires.

RC Competitor
    MT tire it is. I mostly run on grass. Occasionally pavement. Hardly any dirt. I'd like to run on dirt but there's none immediately by my house. I stopped at my LHS after work and picked up a rear drive shaft. 10 bucks. Online slightly cheaper but I wanted one now cause I wanna try out my new 2.8" trenchers yep, that's right I bought trenchers and just installed them along with the new shaft. Battery is charging as I type this! In a few minutes I'm going to go break my other drive shaft! Can't wait!

Quote Originally Posted by JIM33 View Post
    ...my new 2.8" trenchers...
    Ah, I see FMcamaroZ28 got you with the sweet look of his P4de! Right on brah!
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Competitor
    Yours is equally eye catching as his. Just decided to go full blown off road monster truck, what it's intended for. My next car will prolly be a sc car.
    I see traxxas makes a metal upgrade for the shafts. Only 60 bucks. Lol I found MIP online for less than 50 and Teknos for less than 40. I'll prolly go one of those routes.
    I can see how the metal hex would be a good idea. I'm sure my wheels will be spinning right out of those plastic things soon enough.

RC Competitor
    Update: I was able to run about 3 minutes before the other shaft exploded. 2s is just too much for those wimpy plastic stock shafts. Pretty dissapointing traxxas would put such a week part in an otherwise awesome truck. I'll be ordering upgraded shafts next.

After such a tiny (ti y) window to play around with my new trencher tires, I was able to draw a couple conclusions.

1) HEAVY! I knew the tires were bigger and heavier but I didn't think it'd affect my wheelies. The front end stayed down tons more. It was tough to get the front to lift even on grass. And my top end was slower no doubt.

2) Traction was ok. Didn't notice any real improvement, at least on grass, over the stock set.

3) Sound. With the bigger softer tires the truck had a completely different sound. Which was cool I thought.

Was it worth the upgrade? I have no idea. Haha. Won't know until I get my new shafts on whenever that is cause the stock ones r junk.

Yes, the RC addiction is strong in you young Padawan.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Competitor
    Hook line and sinker. I'm done for.

Excellent.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Competitor
    Jvogel- or whoever, does traxxas make the aluminum hex or is that an after market deal? Although mine r holding up thus far I want this truck to be a tank and I can see these plastic hex things stripping out down the road...

Obstacle Magnet

Pretty crazy you are blowing driveshafts this quick, are you smashing the throttle hard on every launch? Is your slipper clutch set too tight from the bearing adapter install?

Remember you were to tighten down the nut on the clutch assembly and then back off 1/2 turn. The driveshafts are kinda cheap but you shouldn't be blowing them every run.

Hexes - now here is where I got held up. I knew i was going to get the MIP axles, so i just waited to get the MIP hexes. Just be sure if you get hexes you make sure they work with the driveshafts you may eventually get.

RC Competitor
    I just installed the bearing adaptor late last night after the second drive shaft went down. So we can eliminate that possibility. For the record I did remember to back the nut off 1/2 turn.

I don't drive the truck any more aggressively than anyone else would, I don't think anyways. Have not gone off any jumps or anything just cruising around my yard and driveway.

I was just wondering since i was able to use the stock driveshafts for about 6 months before i started to wear them out.

Might be time to start saving up for the MIPs. You'll never have to worry about it again after that.

RC Qualifier
    JIM33, what size Trenchers? 2.8" are ridiculously huge. Too big for a P4de in my opinion. I have them on my clown car --- the P2de.

What am I missing? I thought 2.8 was the stock size on a P4de, tires 5 inches tall?

Anyway JIM33, enjoying following your thread. I'm in the same boat as you, hooked from the start. Haven't tore up anything yet though but my 2.8 mashers and SPC 6500mah 65c 2s should be here tomorrow so we'll see how long it takes me to hook up with MIP after that. Didn't see where you upgraded your front bumper. I bought the T-bone wide basher with servo protector and am pretty impressed with it so far. I've hit stuff wide open and didn't phase it, with the NiMH pack of course. Find a tree with a little slope to the bottom and see if you can hang out with the squirrels, very fun trust me.

Newbie myself but welcome aboard.

RC Competitor
    Havnt done anything with the front bumper or plate. I'd imagine that should be up toward the top of the list. MIP is on the top. See how impatient I get.

The good news is I'm made of money tho so all this stuff is no big deal to me. I just go to that machine by the bank and it spits out 20s. So that's nice.

I hear you JIM33. I have more money than common sense. So . . . I'm like in poverty?
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Qualifier
    Made me do it, as soon as the sway bar benefits were mentioned I was sold. Ordered the 6898 kit and threw in the 6784 led light bar also. I realize it won't light up the whole road but I will be able to tell which way the truck is facing at night now, definitely a plus.

Everybody says wait till something tears up but it's fun just upgrading even if it's unnecessary, at least to me anyway. Think I may have to go after the MIP axles sooner than later.

Upgrading is half the fun!

Wait till you get into rock crawling/scalers. Those guys have so many accessories its insane.

And really, tower hobbies has the best deals for traxxas stuff. Sign up for their super saver club for $10 and the coupons get even better.

They do their e-cash events which give you $12 back for every 100 you spend on top of the coupon discount.

Tower coupons + e cash (like gift cards they email when you spend money) = best deals on the web.

RC Competitor
    Well I did it. Sucked it up and ordered MIP. Rears only, for now. The fronts look great yet. Not twisting at all like the rears did prior to buckling.

Have some sway bars coming too. Why not. If the performance is as good as fm says it'll be money well spent. Now the waiting game. Wait for the parts to show up.

RC Qualifier
    Just finished putting my sway bars on, will run it in a bit. 2s is a blast but already looking at all the threads about 3s lipos and 2400 kv motors etc, just my nature. Can't tell much of a top speed increase with the 2s but definitely twice as explosive although wheelies aren't really an issue.

Should I try the new pinion gear that came with the truck? Temps are not an issue, 142 is the highest I've seen, but i haven't put the mashers on yet. Will the other pinion gear give me an increase that will be worth my while?

Michelobs are talking too much, sorry for hijacking. I'll let you know how the sway bars turn out.

RC Competitor
    No your good. Sounds like you are about as far along as I am. I have the 2s packs but have only been able to run 1 full run with them do to my rear end issues.

Curious to hear your thoughts on the sway bar upgrade...
    Last edited by JIM33; 07-25-2015 at 08:19 PM.

The other pinion gear is too big for any kind of bashing. It is meant for smooth flat surface speed runs.

For what its worth, I ran the stock pinion up until i got the 2400kv motor.

You guys can read more about the sway bars here:
    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=sway

And when you install them I'm sure youll have this question about the shock guards:
    https://traxxas.com/forums/showthrea...highlight=sway

I just left that one screw out, works fine for me.

RC Qualifier
    Yeah, it was pretty clear what needed to happen with the screws when it came to connecting the bottom of the sway bars.

Can't really say I saw any kind of amazing difference with the sway bars but I have become accustomed to running everything the way it was. Maybe a couple less flips, not sure really. Did start having some kind of wacky steering issue half way through run though. Car was pulling hard to right no matter how I adjusted steering on radio. It was dark so I couldn't look over steering linkage as good as I needed to, will check it all out when I get home. Bout half way through bash/pavement run it started doing it. I would adjust with control but wouldn't do anything. Picked up front of truck and tried and it wouldn't work, turned truck off and back on then it would work for a few minutes then start pulling hard to the right again. Any ideas?

Servo could have chipped teeth or servo saver is wack.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Competitor
    Sway bars and drive shafts in my mailbox, time to start wrenching!

RC Competitor
    Threw the CVDs on quick and ran my second lipo pack threw my truck ever. Those things are tanks! Made it thru the entire run without blowing up an axle! Woo hoo. That was fun. Sway bars tomorrow night and more fun!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast