RC Racer

Parallel v series connection

What's the difference or what is it? What's the better of the two?

Parallel increases run time. Series increases voltage. You can use parallel any time as long as the batteries are the same voltage. Series can have different voltages but the capacity of all the batteries has to be the same.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

RC Racer
    Thank you Jimdog for your response. Ok, if I understand correctly. Series can run a 2s and 3s together as long as the mAh are the same? Parallel has to be (2) 2s/3s identical batts, voltage the same. Does it matter about the mAh?

In parallel mah doesn't matter as long as the batteries are somewhat close in capacity. Like a 6000 and 6500mah would be fine. A 10000 and 5000 would probably not be a good idea.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

Quote Originally Posted by MaxxDawg75 View Post
    What's the difference or what is it? What's the better of the two?
    What do you intend to do?

RC Racer
    My intentions are to convert T-Maxx into E-Maxx. I'm looking at different motor/esc combos and which will be the best suited for the application. Bashing, jumps flips, crashes and more horrendous crashes. Looking at the mamba x esc with the 2200KV sidewinder 8th.

My intentions are to convert T-Maxx into E-Maxx. I'm looking at different motor/esc combos and which will be the best suited for the application. Bashing, jumps flips, crashes and more horrendous crashes. Looking at the mamba x esc with the 2200KV sidewinder 8th.
    Ok then you should probably start with two 2s Lipos in series. makes 4s.

RC Racer
    That is my original plan to stay with 2s. Both my lipo batts are 2s 5200 25c. They do great in my rusty and 2wd stampede.
    My buddy has the ERBE, his come set up to run 2 batts. We were both wondering if it were series or parallel. I'm assuming it's in series.
    Thank you for answering my questions. This lipo/brushless is a whole new beast to learn. Now to find a sensored brushless motor to use with the new mamba x I just ordered.

My buddy has the ERBE, his come set up to run 2 batts. We were both wondering if it were series or parallel. I'm assuming it's in series.
    Yes they are wired in series. 2x2s in series = 4s (double voltage same capacity)

RC Racer
    Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    Parallel increases run time. Series increases voltage. You can use parallel any time as long as the batteries are the same voltage. Series can have different voltages but the capacity of all the batteries has to be the same.
    I think you have it backwards. look at this illustration from Traxxas for me: https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...%20Diagram.png

Now the one on the right is in Series there is a single positive (Right Battery) and a single negative (Left Battery) running to the esc the other part of the connection is sent in between batteries creating a larger pool of energy to pull from aka more mAh. The one on the left, However, has a positive and a negative lead coming from each battery this means that the esc sees the same amount of mAh as before but more voltage because the batteries are not tied together so more Voltage.
    Hi Ho Silver Away

Quote Originally Posted by ccoon520 View Post
    I think you have it backwards. look at this illustration from Traxxas for me: https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...%20Diagram.png

Now the one on the right is in Series there is a single positive (Right Battery) and a single negative (Left Battery) running to the esc the other part of the connection is sent in between batteries creating a larger pool of energy to pull from aka more mAh. The one on the left, However, has a positive and a negative lead coming from each battery this means that the esc sees the same amount of mAh as before but more voltage because the batteries are not tied together so more Voltage.

Left is parallel = 7.2V (nominal) and 2400mAH capacity = double runtime.
    Right is series = 14.4V (nominal and 1200mAH capacity = double voltage.
    Jimdog is correct.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Quote Originally Posted by ksb51rl View Post

Left is parallel = 7.2V (nominal) and 2400mAH capacity = double runtime.
    Right is series = 14.4V (nominal and 1200mAH capacity = double voltage.
    Jimdog is correct.
    Yep Jimdog is correct
    http://batteryuniversity.com/learn/a...configurations

RC Racer
    I stand corrected.
    Hi Ho Silver Away

RC Racer
    Thanks everyone. Got me a parallel to start things off. Thanks again.

RC Enthusiast
    Thanks everyone. Got me a parallel to start things off. Thanks again.
    How did it turn out for you? I am thinking about doing the same thing.

RC Racer

Parallel v series connection

Go series if you want obscene speeds, wheelies, back flips etc.
    If you just want to play and outlast the others, go parallel.
    A choice I leave up to you. (Go Series...)
    But be warned of the potential of things tearing up. Eg diffs, cvd's, the occasional bearing(s). Things will pop up and/or run right out in front of you. Like mailboxes, parked cars, telephone poles, swimming pools, kids, dogs... All of these are all I have encountered this summer. Freak accidents, not once my fault lol
    Last edited by MaxxDawg75; 09-24-2015 at 12:48 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    I have 2 2s and just want to see what it would be like with more power, without dropping $60 on a new battery. I think I will do it in series.

Quote Originally Posted by 454redhawk View Post
    I have 2 2s and just want to see what it would be like with more power, without dropping $60 on a new battery. I think I will do it in series.
    What rig do you have?

RC Enthusiast
    Quote Originally Posted by soundmaster View Post
    What rig do you have?
    Stampede 4x4. It has a Hobbywing WP-SC8 with a 3400 kv motor. It also has some thick grease in the rear diff for a limited slip.
    I know that running 4s is crazy without reinforcing parts, but I just want to try it and see how much power it makes and decide if I want to go that route.

RC Qualifier
    Series increases voltage. For sure.
    Parallel increases mah.
    I'm an industrial electrician and I have years and years of electronics and electric theory.

Stampede 4x4. It has a Hobbywing WP-SC8 with a 3400 kv motor. It also has some thick grease in the rear diff for a limited slip.
    I know that running 4s is crazy without reinforcing parts, but I just want to try it and see how much power it makes and decide if I want to go that route.
    Yes dude. Try it. I ran 4s on my stampede 4x4 castle 2400 wpsc8 a couple of times, but it is much too much. Get ready for some carnage.

On a stock stampede 4x4 4s will probable break it the first time you pull the trigger. Even 3s is too much on a stock p4de.

My truck holds up 4s but I have many upgrades:

- mips all around
    - xo-1 diffs
    - 17mm adapters
    - rpm a-arms
    - aluminium bearing carriers all around

4s just doest make sence to me so I only run 3s only.
    Last edited by soundmaster; 09-24-2015 at 07:49 PM.

RC Enthusiast
    What will break first? Axles?
    Yeah I probably won't be doing it long either. Just to see how much power it puts out.

What will break first? Axles?
    Yeah I probably won't be doing it long either. Just to see how much power it puts out.
    Rear Axles will break first but if you are very gentle on the throttle you can drive 4s without breaking anything. Are you running stock tires? They will help not breaking stuff because they are light and have little traction.

Also what gearing do you plan running on?

And: Set the punch control on the ESC to 1. This will also help.

And: The surface you'll be running on will play another big role. Less traction equals less stress on the drive train. Lawn is worst.

And: set Slipper properly...
    Last edited by soundmaster; 09-24-2015 at 08:27 PM.

RC Racer
    Rear Axles will break first but if you are very gentle on the throttle you can drive 4s without breaking anything. Are you running stock tires? They will help not breaking stuff because they are light and have little traction.

Also what gearing do you plan running on?

And: Set the punch control on the ESC to 1. This will also help.

And: The surface you'll be running on will play another big role. Less traction equals less stress on the drive train. Lawn is worst.

And: set Slipper properly...
    Yes set slipper accordingly!
    Buy the mip x-duty's
    Set punch on 1!!!!
    Have fun...
    Just for added note, I went with total stock gearing on the emaxx. Went with sidewinder 8th and esc. After 2 complete diff changes, I realized that I needed to loosen the slipper. Changed the gearing a few teeth on the pinion. From a 20/68 to a 23/68. After that, I have rebuilt once more. It was totally my fault. I was showing off and was showing off in a huge fashion! Buy the xo-1 diffs. There better and stronger. Let the slipper slip.

RC Racer
    sorry if i am asking something that has been asked already. Can you run nimh in parallel?

sorry forgot this was lipo forum i will go to the nimh again sorry wasnt paying attention lol, still need more coffee
    Last edited by JP24RC; 09-25-2015 at 09:45 AM. Reason: wrong battery forum sorry
    Sla2h sv3 4600kv

RC Enthusiast
    So I tried the series, and didn't break anything! It was crazy fast! But I was kind of surprised it didn't do any wheelies. I see videos all the time of wheelies but haven't been able to do any.
    My truck was a brushed Stampede, so it still has all the stock gearing, including the lower gear ratio of the ring and pinion. How do you guys get wheelies?

So I tried the series, and didn't break anything! It was crazy fast! But I was kind of surprised it didn't do any wheelies. I see videos all the time of wheelies but haven't been able to do any.
    My truck was a brushed Stampede, so it still has all the stock gearing, including the lower gear ratio of the ring and pinion. How do you guys get wheelies?
    What combo?

RC Enthusiast
    Sorry, haven't been on here for a while.
    Hobbywing WP-SC8 with a 3400kv motor.

Sorry, haven't been on here for a while.
    Hobbywing WP-SC8 with a 3400kv motor.
    great choice. How did the combo perform at 3s?

RC Enthusiast
    great choice. How did the combo perform at 3s?
    I didn't use it on 3s. I have 2 2-cells and wanted to see what more power would be like without dropping $40. I thought it would be popping wheelies like crazy, especially since I still have all the stock gearing from the brushed pede in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jimdog View Post
    So can I run two 3s lipos in series if one is 4000mah 3s and the other is 5000mah 3s?

Sent from my SM-J327R4 using Tapatalk
    "Theres not bad people, just bad choices."

Quote Originally Posted by NOFTCHX View Post
    So can I run two 3s lipos in series if one is 4000mah 3s and the other is 5000mah 3s?

Sent from my SM-J327R4 using Tapatalk
    Cells run in series should be as similar (ie as close to identical) as possible. Running cells of differing capacities in series will likely cause the smaller cells to be discharged past a safe level.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =