Results 1 to 16 of 16

Thread: Newbie to lipo

  1. #1
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    95

    Newbie to lipo

    I was wondering I'm gonna get a 3s 5000 mah Traxxas battery and the four amp charger and a lipo bag in case it catches fire or explodes do I need anything else and any tips so I don't mess my battery up

  2. #2
    RC Turnbuckle Jr. Jimdog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    Iowa City, Iowa, USA
    Posts
    4,355
    Balance every time you charge and make sure you get a good charger. Something like the ez peak plus would be my minimum. Also set your low voltage cutoff at 3.5v per cell. Also put them in storage if you are not going to use them for a couple days.
    This will TOTALLY work, saw a guy on YouTube do it

  3. #3
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    18
    I would suggest something similar to this.
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...776824&alt=web

    Also suggest something similar to this while running. You can set a idle tone to whatever voltage you'd like.
    http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item...828165&alt=web
    Last edited by Double G; 07-16-2015 at 08:02 AM. Reason: merge

  4. #4
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    95
    I'm planning on getting the ez peak 4 amp charger and the funny car I only like getting Traxxas chargers thought because I like them best and I'm pretty sure the funny car has low voltage detection

  5. #5
    RC poster
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    Posts
    18
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit beast2001 View Post
    I'm planning on getting the ez peak 4 amp charger and the funny car I only like getting Traxxas chargers thought because I like them best and I'm pretty sure the funny car has low voltage detection
    Most people disable the low voltage detection on the ESC because it's normally too low of a voltage by he time it alarms and is bad for your lipo over time. That's why if you use the cheap audible ones.. you can set them to 3.8 volts and when done running that's also your storage voltage, so no need to do anything!

  6. #6
    Marshal ksb51rl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Northern NJ
    Posts
    20,501
    Quote Originally Posted by Jman5194 View Post
    Most people disable the low voltage detection on the ESC because it's normally too low of a voltage by he time it alarms and is bad for your lipo over time. That's why if you use the cheap audible ones.. you can set them to 3.8 volts and when done running that's also your storage voltage, so no need to do anything!
    Not most people I know, although some do use both devices.
    Setting the LVA to 3.8V/cell will result in the alarm sounding when the resting voltage is around 4.0V/cell. There's no reason for that. Setting the LVA or LVC/LVD to 3.5 Volts per cell is more than sufficient to protect your packs.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

  7. #7
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    51
    I've been told low voltage detection on an esc only detects if the total voltage is too low.
    With 3s, 4s or more there is a (small) risk one of the cells gets too low due to difference in the individual cells.
    Balancing every time you charge prevents getting a big difference.

    Is this true?

  8. #8
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Brossard, QC
    Posts
    1,211
    Always balance the battery. But it does take a longer time..

  9. #9
    RC Qualifier Panamon Creel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Central Mexico
    Posts
    427
    Quote Originally Posted by Stampeter View Post
    I've been told low voltage detection on an esc only detects if the total voltage is too low.
    With 3s, 4s or more there is a (small) risk one of the cells gets too low due to difference in the individual cells.
    Balancing every time you charge prevents getting a big difference.

    Is this true?
    sure the ESC only sees the combined voltage and not the individual cell voltages therefore it could happen if the battery is severely out of balance. A LVC of 3.5V still leaves a bit of room for cell balance variation though. You can add an additional acoustic alarm that plugs into the standard battery balance port (provided you are not having the Trax ID plugs) they usually sound the alarm if any of the cells fall to 3.3V.

  10. #10
    RC Qualifier
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    748
    As far as turning off the LVD on a traxxas ESC. YES I do this, however it is to keep LVD from shutting power down too early not too late.

    "other" ESC's have an adjustable voltage for shut down, traxxas seem to shut down too early wish is great for not damaging batteries...but it does indeed rob you of run time, it also can shut down the motor entirely (when it thinks its time) which is extremely anoying with lets say....... A BOAT!!!

  11. #11
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    95
    I'm getting a funny car and that's the main reason I'm getting the lipo so I can go fast and I also have a rustler with the velinion system in the rustler, can you change the settings of the low voltage settings with telemetry(the docking base with app) through the app

  12. #12
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    95
    I just do a storage charge very time and when I'm about to go out and drive I just finish charging it up with a balance charge
    Last edited by Bandit beast2001; 07-23-2015 at 01:36 PM.

  13. #13
    RC Champion
    Join Date
    Jun 2015
    Location
    Brossard, QC
    Posts
    1,211
    You got it right. But I usually charge it the day prior I go out to drive since I store my lipo in the fridge, takes some time to warm to room temp before i put it on the charger.

  14. #14
    RC Competitor
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Posts
    95
    I store and charge mine in a lipo bag

  15. #15
    RC Champion Dcuda69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit beast2001 View Post
    I store and charge mine in a lipo bag
    ^^ I agree
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

  16. #16
    RC Champion Dcuda69's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    WI
    Posts
    2,947
    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit beast2001 View Post
    I'm getting a funny car and that's the main reason I'm getting the lipo so I can go fast and I also have a rustler with the velinion system in the rustler, can you change the settings of the low voltage settings with telemetry(the docking base with app) through the app
    I don't think you can change the esc LVD/LVC...however you can setup the app itself to notify you at a specific min. voltage. Not sure on the Apple app but in Android you can long press the dashboard and you'll get a setup page....click the "gauge" you want to modify. Good luck!!
    Slash 4x4 Ult 2150kv
    Rustler vxl
    Ford GT vxl

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •