RC Racer

After run oil question

Would Marvel Mystery Oil be a good after run oil substitute to use?? What oils or lubes do u guys use for after run maintenance?? I've been using wd40 and think I have a little rust trying to form. Looking for the best ARO or substitute I can get a hold of.

Thanks all

Steve

RC Champion
    I don't use any on my stuff. I fired them up once a month.
    WD40 should do well.
    WD = water dispensing, 40 = it was their 40th attempt to win the US military contract.

RC Champion
    Iv said this before, wd40 is a cleaner, and is a poor lubricant.

The mystery oil will do a better job. And will help to keep the grease in your inner bearings instead of run out of the seals.

I also do not use a afterrun procedure of any kind on my engines. My 2.5r is going on 7 years.
    2.5r Pede, 2-speed O.S.21tm rusty , 3.3T-maxx

RC Enthusiast
    No afterrun oil? And no problems Whats your secret?
    03 Accord EXV6 Sedan
    Smooth As Silk

RC Racer
    How long do u store your 2.5r between runs with no after run oil??

RC Champion
    Correct and correct. My way is a little different than what is in the manual however.
    The longest iv stored it is a litttle over a year. Factory setting and a few pulls fired right up.

Come to think of it iv never even serviced the bearings in it.

RC Racer
    What's your secret mxaustin??

RC Champion
    Its no secret, just a different way of shutting down the engine.

RC Racer
    So, how do u shut down your engine that lets u not need ARO? U use custom fuel/oil mix of your own??

RC Champion
    Nope, its from my LHS. I'm not saying its the only reason my engine has lasted so long but being good at tunning helps a lot too, I don't tune for MAXIMUM performance, just a hair under I would say...

Here's the stuff your wanting to know. (I apologize for the life story I have wrote below.)

I dont pinch the fuel line to shut it off, this method leans the engine and starves it of oil and lubrication. Even being such a short time you have to think how many times you'll do that over the life of the engine... it adds up quickly.

The method I use is by plugging the exhaust deflector. This shuts down the engine quickly and safely, increases lubrication inside the engine, which helps keeps the parts in good oiled condition. For the next start up when ever it may be.

The best way I can explain this is as the engine uses the fuel, it sends the oil and the burnt exhaust out of the engine. What happens when the exhaust is plugged, it richens the engine to the point it shuts down. Rich = lubrication...

but there's more to it that that. The oil that's trying to escape gets back fed into the block from the pressure which lubricates the parts and coats it for your next run either a few mins or months down the road.

the burnt exhaust gets sent into the fuel tank area via the vent tube because its lighter than oil. So in english, the harmful exhust doesn't corrode the steel bearings inside the engine because it gets fed to the fuel tank.
    Last edited by mxaustin; 07-17-2015 at 10:50 PM.

RC Racer
    Thanks for the good info mxaustin. I'll have to get in the habbit of plugging the exhaust from now on. I've been pinching the fuel line for shut down.

I'm sure your method is suitable. However, I'm slightly on the OCD side and use Marvel Oil faithfully. Especially for storage over the winter months even though all my rigs are stored inside and at constant temperature
    uh oh.... that didn't sound good

RC Racer
    How many drops of MMO should I b using for after run?

RC Champion
    as many as you like. theres no science behind it, just untill its coated.

Quote Originally Posted by mxaustin View Post
    as many as you like. theres no science behind it, just untill its coated.
    Acully you need to be carful not to use too much or starting it the next time is difficult....

1. Clean the engine (VERY IMPORTANT). 1 Grain of sand down wither the carb or the glowplug hole will bring your engine to a short life, the exact opposite of what After Run is for, isn't it?

2. Remove the Air filter and the glow plug.

3. With WD-40 a shot of it down the glowplug hole and a couple shots down the carb, rotate the engine a little. With After run oil, 2 drops down the glowplug hole and about 5 drops down the carb, rotate the engine.

4. Replace the glowplug and the air filter. Done.

After run oil Vs. WD-40... If yu only have Traxxas engines, use WD-40, in fact the engine will start easier with it than any after run oil. IF you have other engines, use after run oil, it's got to do with the o-rings that are used.

BTW, Marvel Mystery Oil works extremely well as your after run oil. $6.00 for a quart, enough for a lifetime of RC'ing.

Makes a good assembly lube as well.
    All Lives Matter
    United We Stand, Divided We Fall

RC Racer
    Thanks Nitronaught, that's the answer I was trying to get.