Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RC Turnbuckle Jr.

Cool Look what I got for FREE today!!!

Yes completely free. It was ran 3 times and then the kid completely lost interest in it.

Already tore into and changed the rear bushings out for bearings. And... I just ordered a SPC 5000mah 2s LiPo. On sale... only $25.00.

I know, I know... this belongs in the Stampede section. But all my friends are here.

What?!?!?!? Free?!?!?!?! Man, that is one good come up! Nothing like free! So what do you have planned for the new truck?
    Member of the 10,000 + posts club! Here to help!

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by El Sob View Post
    What?!?!?!? Free?!?!?!?! Man, that is one good come up! Nothing like free! So what do you have planned for the new truck?
    I said... you sure you don't want anything? He said... nope... it's just taking up room in my garage and I want it out.

The plan is to see how fast the LiPo will blow up the Titan 550 and then maybe get the RC Gear Shop 3900kv system. It's only $80.00.

Ohh... and I already ripped out the AM Radio system and installed my 2.4ghz FlySky in it.

I drove it tonight with the 6 cell nimh... seemed sooooo slow compared to my Slash.

PM me if you want to bash near Grass Valley, CA
    Quote Originally Posted by matts175 View Post
    6 cell nimh... seemed so.................
    Oh, what? Sorry, I started to fall asleep there for a second.

Great freebie matts175. You lucky dog!
    Obstacle Magnet

Congrats! Hope you gave him something anyways.
    I know you mentioned it before, but awesome to actually see it in your posession!
    Creativity is intelligence having fun. -Einstein

RC Qualifier
    I've got the same truck with the 2400kv, 3s, and 76/30 and it flies!!!!!!! Never can keep the front down! Fun little truck to drive.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Does it have a metal geared tranny?

RC Racer
    Nice pick up Matts.
    Should run fine with the brushless ( just dropped a castle combo into my middle aged son's ) lol and I know you will be pushing your's further then I will do with my kids any time soon.

As said already, hardest part is keeping the front end down enough to steer at all :P

You will like the 2wd pede, its fun, chalenging to drive as well.....I started of with a pede for my son and ended up with an FLM built for myself.....all a part of the traxxas history and family for us....

Now you say....umm you did not bully that kid into giving it eheh....just kidding, nice pick...or one of those illegal street race...just pulling a leg.

Soon i will have to give trucks away for free too, my wife have had enough seeing 6 of them in the house...eheheh, got have a place for a 1/5 I am thinking of...
    Live life to the fullest

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbo74 View Post
    Does it have a metal geared tranny?
    Hmm. I don't know. I was assuming it did. Not sure what year it was made. I guess I could get a newer trans from Dollar Hobbyz if needed.

Any way to tell without tearing it apart?

Congrats! Hope you gave him something anyways.
    Thanks. I work on his 1:1 SAAB for him. I'm the only one allowed to touch it. Next time he needs something done, I'll just refuse his money.

RC Champion
    Given this has an AM radio, it has to be at least 5 years old...

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by IllusionX View Post
    Given this has an AM radio, it has to be at least 5 years old...
    So... would that mean it has a plastic geared trans?

RC Champion
    I wouldn't know. My stampede is 4x4, and it does not have a transmission...

RC Racer
    We have not torn down the stampede yet, but if it is anything like my elder son's Rustler ( which had the older radio ) then yeah, it will have a plastic geared trans more then likely Matts.
    When we dropped a brushless castle combo in his, took him about ten to fifteen mins to cook what was left of his trans.

Next day we ran to the LHS, picked up the idler ( that had maybe 6 teeth left ) and a diff rebuild kit that included the gear with a metal band ran around it.
    They told me the metal band gear came out after brushless motors, to keep it from burning up.
    kit all said and done was maybe 18.00 at the LHS.
    should tear down mine in the stampede as well, but have not gotten around to it yet.

RC Champion
    My daughter's P2de is about 2 years old and it has both the metal gears and the AM antenna. So just because it has the AM doesn't mean that it has the plastic gears. I think you'll have to either use the serial number to figure out the model number or tear into it to know for sure.

That's a great deal you got on the truck. You'll love it. My Sl4sh is fun but sometimes there just isn't anything better than bashing around with the P2de!

RC Racer
    here is the Rustler break down sheet
    https://traxxas.com/sites/default/fi...20Assembly.jpg

and the Stampede
    http://i573.photobucket.com/albums/s...606_tranny.jpg

part number 2388 is the diff that comes now as 2388x for both models it looks like. The difference between the 2388 and 2388X is just the steel ring built around the assemble on the 2388X.
    Hope this is helpful

RC Racer
    who cares how old it is or whether the tranny is plastic, it was FREEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

He now has the platform and can upgrade to make it his own. Guarantee it wont look or run like an old used truck when he's done with it and we will all be drooling over it....
    Too many RC's to list.......I NEED MORE THO!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Demstwenties View Post
    Guarantee it wont look or run like an old used truck when he's done with it and we will all be drooling over it....
    In that case, matts175, make sure to get a waterproof ESC!
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Qualifier
    I saw free, then I just thought, "hey, I paid 200 bucks for that." And that was back when the Titans were In the second or third year of being in anything! But a nearly newer model year, and barely used. Even a roller is worth nearly a hundred bucks. No put the biggest lipo in this thing possible, and KILL THE TITAN!!!
    If a RC never breaks, your doing it wrong

RC Racer
    You'll be shocked how long the titan will last with a good battery. I believe half the issue with those motors are the crappy batteries not providing enough current. I noticed that my titans run cooler on a 2S LiPo than on a 6 cell NiMh.

As for the metal gears. It had the new body so I almost guarantee it has metal gears. They made that switch a LONG time ago.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    I just went to the hobby shop and picked up a 16T pinion for it. It had a 19T on it and was a real turd on the grass. I'm sure it'll be different once my LiPo arrives.

Thanks for all the info guys.

The great thing about having this is when I'm out front running my Slash 4x4 and someone says "Can I try it?" I can say "Nooooo... but you can use my Stampede"

RC Qualifier
    What the!... And I thought I was lucky as I just picked up a 2wd MJ pede yesterday for 50!

Good stuff Matt, at least it has gone to an appreciated home

I was thinking I was gonna leave mine as is, but already have a list in my ebay cart from dollarhobbyz and JRC lol.

Will be watching with interest.
    40+ RC's, 4 = Traxxas. Doing this since the 80's.

RC Qualifier
    I bet a quarter it's got metal gears......

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff_G View Post
    I bet a quarter it's got metal gears......
    Hey, watch it. Gambling isn't permitted on this site I bet. Wait, what? Oh snap!
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Wow... going to a 16 tooth made it act like a whole new truck. Believe or not... it had MORE top end because the motor wasn't lugging. And... it wheelies now. LOL. I even let the little kid down the street have a go at it. Made his day.

I would have said I hate you but I already have one so..... Nice going to ya! and you have friends here also. I read a lot of your posts along with El Sob's. You guy's rock!
    That one does have metal gears in it by the way. I'll BET my rep on that
    T/SportMax/Slayer Pro/Bandit
    Stampede/Rustler

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    That one does have metal gears in it by the way. I'll BET my rep on that
    Awesome. One less thing I'll have to buy.

and you have friends here also.
    Thank you... and as I learn more about 2wd Traxxas's... I'll come on here and help out the new guys as well.

As I said bfore you will enjoy it too...

By the way if the castr blocks are stock plastic they, you may think of changing those later on, they are the weaker link, also the camber and string links as you may have already noticed.
    Live life to the fullest

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Are the RPM castor blocks good?

Quote Originally Posted by Jezza View Post
    ...the castr blocks are stock plastic they, you may think of changing those later on, they are the weaker link, also the camber and string links as you may have already noticed.
    Good catch Jezza.

The plastic castor blocks are the weakest link on the truck. Replace them with STRC. This is the only thing that should be done immediately on Traxxas 2wd trucks. Bent king pins are no fun.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Qualifier
    6 cell? Don't they come stock with a 7? Any 6 that I have is too small to fit in the battery tray! 7 cell hump is the only battery that fits for me? Unless it is a very big 6 cell?

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by commando5184 View Post
    6 cell? Don't they come stock with a 7? Any 6 that I have is too small to fit in the battery tray! 7 cell hump is the only battery that fits for me? Unless it is a very big 6 cell?
    It wasn't the original battery. Some 3300mah Racer's Edge something or other. It's exactly the same size of a 7 cell hump.... just without the hump.

It's kind of messed up to, because I get about 5 minutes of run time. That can't be right. LOL. I'm done running it until my 2s LiPo gets here. I just wanted to test it a few times.

I own some SPC 3s 5000Mah LiPos, but I would dare try to run them with a brushed system. POOF!!!

Last edited by matts175; 07-20-2015 at 07:49 PM.

In my opinion, NiMH are just trash can ballast.
    Obstacle Magnet

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by jvogel View Post
    In my opinion, NiMH are just trash can ballast.
    Yup. I just completely discharged it and cut the wires off of it, so that it can be disposed of. Home Depot by me takes them.

Kick butt Matt,free is free, even if the trans has plastic gears by the time you done I'll bet less then a hundred bucks in you'll be grinning from ear to ear.
    And remember, "do onto others as they do onto you".
    Always remember I'm an other.
    Built Ford Tuff With Chevy Stuff.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    LOL Billy.

RC Qualifier
    Just take it but a brushless combo. Throw in a 3s and make it fly. Puff the magic ESC, just video it. I've never had the luxury of being able to purposely be able to kill an ESC or motor. Always had to sell/ trade in for better combo.

RC Turnbuckle Jr.
    Quote Originally Posted by commando5184 View Post
    Just take it but a brushless combo. Throw in a 3s and make it fly. Puff the magic ESC, just video it. I've never had the luxury of being able to purposely be able to kill an ESC or motor. Always had to sell/ trade in for better combo.
    Ehhh... I don't want to wreck the ESC. I'm an Ebay junkie and I always sell all of my old stuff. It helps somewhat justify the cost of the new stuff with the wifey..... somewhat, LOL. I even made a Deans to TRX adapter, so that I wouldn't have to cut the connector off.

Yeah i stuck a 3s in a pede running MMP3800 then, wow, the head will not stay on the ground, but added wieght just helps, the truck is so light it flies geared 18/58 ......the other pede too flew on 2s with an dtx3174 Onyx 4550 combo.....geared 14/58.

I still have not figured out how to sell on eBay so have not gone that route yet...hihih got to selll so amny 1 erebe roller, 2 revo 2.5 rollers....keeping just 1 ereb, my slash mt and 1 revo 3.3....or may be I should just give soem away for free.....
    Live life to the fullest

Quote Originally Posted by matts175 View Post
    Are the RPM castor blocks good?
    Only if used with titanium pins like from Lunsford or if you drill them out to accept 3mm steel pins. They are way too flexible for the stock pins and will cause even faster bending than stock caster blocks. Traxxas makes the best aluminum caster blocks with STRC getting an honorable mention.
    Alt-248 on the number pad =

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast